• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Queensland Reds 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Not a bad 1-2 punch having Bell starting and Hodgman finishing, if his form can hit the level it was when he debuted for the All Blacks. If it doesn't then just having his experience around some of our younger props at the Reds is invaluable.
Yeah I'd much prefer to not have to turn to a 30 year old discard from another nation but he's definitely in with a shout considering our depth. Hopefully Schoupp steps up first.

scrans21

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah I'd much prefer to not have to turn to a 30 year old discard from another nation but he's definitely in with a shout considering our depth. Hopefully Schoupp steps up first.
Yeah agreed. Would much prefer a younger prop like Schoupp stepping up. But honestly I really don't see any negatives to this signing. If it pays off and he's in brilliant form then it's another loosehead option for the Wallabies. If his form isn't at that level but is still good then it's great for the Reds in a position that has been a weakness for us over the last 2 years. If he's injured and misses out on a lot of the season (ie Luke Jones) then the experience and knowledge he could pass onto our younger props will be phenomenal.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Scots are frothing over Dempsey's form, fuck we'll take what we can get. I hope Hodgman kills it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Interesting little tidbit from that Hdgman/Toomaga-Allen article:
The redevelopment of the spiritual home of Queensland rugby has started to reap rewards, with Hodgman blown away by the new facilities.

“Ballymore is like, ‘Woah’, it’s pretty state-of-the-art.

“Me and the family had a visit about a month ago and it’s beautiful.

“It’s almost like, got an American vibe to it, like where it’s like ‘Woah, these places are crazy’.”

The value of the facilities as a recruitment incentive is a nice little bonus. I have a feeling it'll really pay off around securing talented junior players with a few offers on the table.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah it’s a great addition in recruitment and retention, and working conditions for all the back room staff.

But I’m yet to see any statistical correlation that these new high performance facilities that sporting clubs in Australia are building translate to on-field success. Plenty of clubs in Australia have quite poor seasons immediately following new facilities.

Potentially you could dive deep and find that things like the hot/cold plunge pools promote a small improvement in recovery and rehabilitation and this helps on-field success. Outside of that, not much changes from training in the old sheds that they used to.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
But I’m yet to see any statistical correlation that these new high performance facilities that sporting clubs in Australia are building translate to on-field success. Plenty of clubs in Australia have quite poor seasons immediately following new facilities.

Potentially you could dive deep and find that things like the hot/cold plunge pools promote a small improvement in recovery and rehabilitation and this helps on-field success. Outside of that, not much changes from training in the old sheds that they used to.
The Matildas' new facility at La Trobe opened last month with immediate success ;)

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
So

Faagase, Ravai, Hodgman, Allen, Nonggoor

1. Hodgeman 3. Nonggoor
17. Ravai 18. JTA

Couple youngsters in academy and Suali was a 2023 only signing - not sure if retained

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So

Faagase, Ravai, Hodgman, Allen, Nonggoor

1. Hodgeman 3. Nonggoor
17. Ravai 18. JTA

Couple youngsters in academy and Suali was a 2023 only signing - not sure if retained

Phransis Sula-Siaosi??
Yes with Bloomfield and Harrison Usher and Trevor King all around too, then a couple of wise veterans should be handy to pass on some lessons.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Very interesting. I can't see Super Rugby being successful without some form of leveller in available quality. It kind of means bringing in Kiwis to the Aus franchises. If NZRU were more forward thinking they would accept the possibility - but protect the nationality of their players expat in Aus.

As an Australian and a Red fan I'm all for it, especially for quality like this. It's a good thing - though does need to be backed with development of local talent. Which is something that has been done very well I think at the Reds.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
dunno what the limit is these days. It’s constantly changing and it’s also discretionary it seems.

I’m ok with foreign players as long as it’s managed; what Australia can’t afford is having too many foreign players filling out the same key positions across all franchises, like THP prop/hooker etc.

That’s now 4 foreign players filling out THP positions in Australia (Medrano, Ravai, Eloff & Toomaga-Allen).
And Kautai.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Pretty cool that Hodgeman is Aus eligible. Probably slots in around a Matt Gibbon level at least. With Slipper breaking down, he might even get an opportunity behind Bell.
My recollection of Hodgeman is that he would be rated a bit higher than Matt Gibbon. I won't be surprised to see him around the Wallabies next year.

Hound

Bill Watson (15)
I suspect Lynagh will be 10 when fit. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is there to guide so will mix his time between 12 and 22. Paisami showing glimpses of how good he can be at 12.

No announcements in the outside backs but would think young Tim Ryan will get a shot. Grealy and probably moreso Aubrey's spots will be under pressure. I also assume Henry and Anan will bulk up centre (utility) depth.
I see Billy Bulley is back from the knee injury. Having play the past 2 or 3 games for 2nd grade. Doesn't look to have lost anything.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Whoops didn't see that Hodgman is only 27, that changes my opinion a lot. Great signing then. Hope he likes what he sees, sticks around and does push for Wallabies.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Whoops didn't see that Hodgman is only 27, that changes my opinion a lot. Great signing then. Hope he likes what he sees, sticks around and does push for Wallabies.
Yeah, whatever source your looking at there (allblacks.com?) is wrong. He was born 16/07/1993 so has just turned 30. He was 27 when he debuted for the All blacks.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
IMG_1185.jpeg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No Townsville :oops:

Seems to be the big takeaway on Facebook. CEO was interviewed yesterday on 9 and said it’s a 2 year rotating thing. So perhaps next year. In fairness, would they have taken games there last year if it wasn’t for ground availability?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
It's a significantly better draw than last year for us, both in terms of difficulty and marketing potential. Less significant travel, doubles against the tahs, Rebels and Force and never more than two weeks without a game at home. Aside from thrashing the tahs at home first up I hope they're really targeting that Chiefs game. Both matches last year were fantastic rugby and chiefs games have generally pulled solid crowds. A win there in front of a healthy crowd could really set the season up.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Seems to be the big takeaway on Facebook. CEO was interviewed yesterday on 9 and said it’s a 2 year rotating thing. So perhaps next year. In fairness, would they have taken games there last year if it wasn’t for ground availability?
Has it ever been said previously that it's a rotating thing, or is that a new direction? I thought taking a couple of matches out of BNE, and the broader Reds to Regions program, was one of the best things the Reds were doing. He seemed a big advocate, but was Thorn properly driving it? Hopefully it doesn't die a slow death.