• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R11: Waratahs vs Sharks @ Western Sydney Stadium - Saturday 27 April 2019

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Actually, it was a knock on advantage.... if it had been a penalty advantage it would've definitely been a stupid decision.

And if the kick had not have gone out on the full it would've likely been caught by the Sharks player.

But the point was it was a poorly executed kick, hence:
Haha good to see you quote your own good work.

If it was a knock on advantage that’s fair enough, I can’t be fucked going back to check. I thought it was a penalty advantage, I can only explain Adams actions to be that he did too. If it was you would admit it was a fair call, right?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Nah, booting the ball downfield into the corner for territory wouldn't make too much sense on a penalty advantage...........

It's a complete waste of advantage because you'd just come back for the penalty.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Caught most of the second half when I came home. First half of super rugby I've watched for a while and the standard seems quite low for a competition made up of full-time professional players.

The Waratahs structure is worse than anything since the nadir of Hickey/Foley.

I think Marto nailed it in the post-match when he noted how often Folau has got them close wins with individual tries and this has papered over serious flaws in the Waratahs.

Drew Mitchell would have to be close to the worst commentator ever employed by Fox. He made Kearns look good.

Justin Harrison was the only bright light of the experience. His game analysis is light years ahead of anything that I've heard from any commentator or alleged expert for a long long time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Nah, booting the ball downfield into the corner for territory wouldn't make too much sense on a penalty advantage.....

It's a complete waste of advantage because you'd just come back for the penalty.

Just to reiterate - it was a territorial kick, not a tactical grubber or chip for a teammate to regather, which would make sense on a penalty advantage.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Nah, booting the ball downfield into the corner for territory wouldn't make too much sense on a penalty advantage.....

Ok. So where would you put it? Upfield? It always comes back to the penalty. I’m confused

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
There is nothing wrong with the idea of a flat line attack, but it has to be executed with fast (repeat FAST) ruck ball. The static ball that Australian sides play with makes the tactic impossible and the receiver a tackle bag. It is why the Tahs make the ad-line 60% of the time, even when starting on that line. Yes the players appear physically weak, in comparison to their opposition in so many instances when carrying the ball, but IMO that stems from receiving it in a position of weakness, static and getting the defender attacking them in motion at the same time. It also compromises the body position.

I was prepared to give Gibson the benefit of the doubt and a clear season to see what he could bring to the table in terms of tactics and outcomes. Jury is in now. Whilst I do not like to blame outcomes totally on coaching staff, the fact that no Australian side plays with fast ball from the ruck, and the Tahs are no different the tactics Gibson has the Tahs playing every week is just plainly poor coaching, and as we have discussed repeatedly I do not think there are many real rugby brains in this Tahs team and the "leadership group" to use their term is perhaps the dumbest in rugby terms in the competition.

The refereeing performance was fine, the cards handed out were not only justified and more they are required by the directives and Laws of the game. Refereeing performance was fine and the Tahs tactics are what lost it for them, the Sharks really did offer that much.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ok. So where would you put it? It always comes back to the penalty. I’m confused

Er, attack the ball, or even some form of kicking that allows your teammate to regather the ball like a grubber or chip kick? Actually using the advantage.........

Not a territorial kick which is just a complete waste of a penalty advantage as you're just booting the ball away for no reason except for it to then come all the way back for the penalty........ Unless the opposition has no players back there - but in this case they certainly did.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Caught most of the second half when I came home. First half of super rugby I've watched for a while and the standard seems quite low for a competition made up of full-time professional players.

The Waratahs structure is worse than anything since the nadir of Hickey/Foley.

I think Marto nailed it in the post-match when he noted how often Folau has got them close wins with individual tries and this has papered over serious flaws in the Waratahs

Drew Mitchell would have to be close to the worst commentator ever employed by Fox. He made Kearns look good.

Justin Harrison was the only bright light of the experience. His game analysis is light years ahead of anything that I've heard from any commentator or alleged expert for a long long time.
Big fan of Justin Harrison as a commentator / rugby analyst

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Unpopular opinion: tahs were up to it physically.

Their forwards gave them some momentum..........

The Sharks really didn't capitalise on their extra men, and possibly would've lost if Holloway didn't lose his mind.

meatpie

Herbert Moran (7)
Positives:
- Thought Foley defence has come on leaps and bounds
- Tolu look pretty sharp when he came on
- Clarks Hit (Also thought he had a pretty sound game)
- Dempsey
- The ground looked good

Negatives:
- Staniforth (Can we not do this again)
- Inept ability to win very winnable games
- Foley's last conversion (imagine a NZ or SA side missing that kick....crucial)
- unpopular opinion...whilst the sharks player was being a pest holding the jersey, you can't throw an elbow and connect with the head (In Holloway's defence I don't think it was intentional but more reactionary). So red card justified.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Positives:
- Thought Foley defence has come on leaps and bounds
- Tolu look pretty sharp when he came on
- Clarks Hit (Also thought he had a pretty sound game)
- Dempsey
- The ground looked good
Plus Simmons had good game - book your RWC place son
Negatives:
- Staniforth (Can we not do this again)
- Inept ability to win very winnable games
- Foley's last conversion (imagine a NZ or SA side missing that kick..crucial)
- unpopular opinion.whilst the sharks player was being a pest holding the jersey, you can't throw an elbow and connect with the head (In Holloway's defence I don't think it was intentional but more reactionary). So red card justified.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
Magnificent Stadium, poor crowd. I fear for Rugbys future:(

thats a bit melodramatic. school holidays, + super long extended weekend off the back of easter. there's hardly anyone in town at the moment.

edit - unless of course you misspelled 'magnificient stadium' and meant 'fuck me drunk the waratahs want to win ugly but lose even uglier'.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
thats a bit melodramatic. school holidays, + super long extended weekend off the back of easter. there's hardly anyone in town at the moment.

edit - unless of course you misspelled 'magnificient stadium' and meant 'fuck me drunk the waratahs want to win ugly but lose even uglier'.
Nah, enough excuses. All the franchises struggle to attract a crowd if 10 K. That Stadium is impressive..Nothing wrong with my spelling

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Nah the crowd nothing unusual for super rugby - it is just that Sanzaar and RA are still in serious denial about how much super rugby brand and product is severely damaged and disengaged rugby fans and casual observers.

I actually think it is criminal taken to get to this dire situation. Super rugby as a brand is totally dead - more how a very unsuccessful organisation chooses to try and remedy this from here. Head in the sand and cosmetic changes clearly won’t do it.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Er, attack the ball, or even some form of kicking that allows your teammate to regather the ball like a grubber or chip kick? Actually using the advantage...

Not a territorial kick which is just a complete waste of a penalty advantage as you're just booting the ball away for no reason except for it to then come all the way back for the penalty.... Unless the opposition has no players back there - but in this case they certainly did.
We can just agree to disagree. There are several viable options to use a penalty advantage of which his was one. I’m not suggesting it was necessarily the best option but it didn’t even warrant a mention IMO.