• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R11: Waratahs vs Sharks @ Western Sydney Stadium - Saturday 27 April 2019

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Big fan of Justin Harrison as a commentator / rugby analyst

Funnily enough so am I after seeing him on BEIN doing the same job in test rugby in Europe I agreed with the famous quote that he was a plank, but seeing him back here he has been exceptional. I laughed to my wife how much I have changed my opinion of him.
Actually shows the difference when I watched Mitchell?hoiles etc on Firday and Mitchell was saying he doesn't think ALB for the Chiefs hasn't looked like he would make the ABs this year, I wondered about his knowledge or ability to see any player who not in the Tahs!

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And on the game, regardless of the cards, the Tahs were absolutely beaten up, just not physical or big enough to take on Sharks. It's so bloody good I believe for Aus teams to play SA teams to get this type of rugby, need it to harden up the players a bit for international game.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Nah the crowd nothing unusual for super rugby - it is just that Sanzaar and RA are still in serious denial about how much super rugby brand and product is severely damaged and disengaged rugby fans and casual observers.

I actually think it is criminal taken to get to this dire situation. Super rugby as a brand is totally dead - more how a very unsuccessful organisation chooses to try and remedy this from here. Head in the sand and cosmetic changes clearly won’t do it.

To give an example of where Super rugby is in terms of mainstream media, you only have to go to channel 7 news last night. Jim Wilson goes through AFL, NRL, English soccer then says "in rugby the Waratahs play tonight at the new western Sydney Stadium" he then gives a 30 second summary of the Shute Shield game between Uni and Eastwood with all the tries and higlights shown. The same thing happened the week before with the Randwick v Souths game.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And on the game, regardless of the cards, the Tahs were absolutely beaten up, just not physical or big enough to take on Sharks. It's so bloody good I believe for Aus teams to play SA teams to get this type of rugby, need it to harden up the players a bit for international game.
But then last week the Reds bullied the Sharks into making numerous errors and the Sharks didn’t have the capacity to handle Kerevi and co. This is more a Waratah specific problem I feel.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
In fairness they are navigating 13 v 15 at the time you posted this

Fair point, I was more referring to the collision zone which the Sharks seemed to be dominating, holding up Tahs players and just bigger bodied sharks players knocking them about.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
But then last week the Reds bullied the Sharks into making numerous errors and the Sharks didn’t have the capacity to handle Kerevi and co. This is more a Waratah specific problem I feel.

Couldn't agree more UTG, Reds and Brumbies play best game against these types of teams. Our game is great as it can be played so many different ways, and we have to find ways to counter various teams!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
SA teams always get crap crowds and then they play the game near Bathurst

Not sure if that excuse is valid anymore.

Waratahs drew 15,681 to the Reds match at the SCG this year

Crowds for Rebels and Crusaders matches at the SCG remain unnounced, which in Waratahland means that they were less than 10,000. Note the link to the website below how many games listed as TBA crowd figures. A problem which seems unique in Australian sport to the Waratahs.

In 2018 to the super rugby quarter final against the Highlanders at Alliance the Waratahs only drew 12.067

https://www.austadiums.com/sport/comp_results.php?sid=5

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Just watched a replay of the game; I thought during the first half the Waratahs played a skilful and high-tempo style of rugby. The issue was the lack of the threat/ penetration in the closer channels meant that the Sharks players were able to fan out with ease to cover out wide. After the red card/ yellow cards, the Waratahs were never going to be able to recover and win.
The game also highlighted how much they missed Folau; the current Waratahs back line doesn't have a whole lot of attacking threat without him- you're not worrying teams with Alex Newsome and Cameron Clark out wide.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I thought the crowd last night was genuinely dissapointing. The Nrl was a sellout. I wasnt expecting that but certainly more.

A number of people would have gone just to go to a game at the new stadium. Take them out and the crowd is even worse.

Almost zero promotion of the game by NSWRU.

Waratahs now disappear into the middle of the night for two weeks, then have an away game in Brisbane, then play the Jaguares in Sydney, then an away game in Melbourne. Is it any wonder they can't engage the Sydney public.

They play the Brumbies in Sydney on the 8th of June - which is the Saturday of the long weekend, so presumably that will be used as another excuse for the crowd.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
A number of people would have gone just to go to a game at the new stadium. Take them out and the crowd is even worse.

Almost zero promotion of the game by NSWRU.

Waratahs now disappear into the middle of the night for two weeks, then have an away game in Brisbane, then play the Jaguares in Sydney, then an away game in Melbourne. Is it any wonder they can't engage the Sydney public.

They play the Brumbies in Sydney on the 8th of June - which is the Saturday of the long weekend, so presumably that will be used as another excuse for the crowd.
I wouldn't be so concerned if it was just the Tahs given how poor they are at the moment but its competition wide. The best home attendance is the Sunwolves and we've cut them.
37889768.jpg

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Crowds for Rebels and Crusaders matches at the SCG remain unnounced, which in Waratahland means that they were less than 10,000. A problem which seems unique in Australian sport to the Waratahs.

https://www.austadiums.come/sport/comp_results.php?sid=5

And expanding to the Reds since the Sunwolves game last year and to the Rebels since the Brumbies game this year.

This summary says it all (and it doesn't include the missing low numbers).

2019-04-28_20-17-19.jpg

PS I hear that the Ground Announcer at Bankwest Stadium announced attendance as 7,799 yet the "official" figure is 10,600.

Surely if we have a problem we should at least acknowledge the problem rather than hide it??

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Spoke to someone who has worked in stadiums with the teams across all codes. Standard practice is to inflate the numbers. Sometimes to a cater for staff, security etc etc, sometimes just arbitrary to sound better, though more commonly to a set number - eg, 15% (the most common). Usually stadium staff pass on the gate numbers to team executive who then determine what number will be communicated.

With a public number of 10600, my contact guessed in reality it would be closer to 8, with the number pushed above double figures. I brought this up with them as through multiple photos, there was no way it was 1/3 full.

I guess they were right! Numbers through the gate 7799 with stadium and team staff pushing it around the 8000.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Woeful crowd. As I keep harping on, rugby in Australia needs to recognise its place in the current landscape & plan accordingly.

The standard of football certainly doesn't help attract crowds at the moment, plus ticket prices looked a bit steep to me considering the travel out to woop woop and back. Why are they still charging for kids?

I'm not picking on NSW here either, crowds @ Lang Park have been even worse, exacerbated by the fact that it is much bigger so looks appalling.

ACT and Melbourne also very very poor. Yet somehow peeps think more home derbies will solve the problem? If anything you can tell when the local fleewees come out of the woodwork for the trans tasman matches, hmmm, perhaps that's telling us something.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Woeful crowd. As I keep harping on, rugby in Australia needs to recognise its place in the current landscape & plan accordingly.

The standard of football certainly doesn't help attract crowds at the moment, plus ticket prices looked a bit steep to me considering the travel out to woop woop and back. Why are they still charging for kids?

I'm not picking on NSW here either, crowds @ Lang Park have been even worse, exacerbated by the fact that it is much bigger so looks appalling.

ACT and Melbourne also very very poor. Yet somehow peeps think more home derbies will solve the problem? If anything you can tell when the local fleewees come out of the woodwork for the trans tasman matches, hmmm, perhaps that's telling us something.

The problems are that the standard of football is below what I would expect from full-time professionals and the competition makes it impossible for all but the most rusted on fans to become involved.

Price only comes into it because the product is a dud and it can't sustain interest. Parramatta is hardly woop woop.