• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

R12: Waratahs vs Rebels - Saturday 13 May

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
Tahs own worst enemy in the first half however blew Rebels away in line outs and scrums. Their D is pretty special, and that’s what wins you games against NZ teams.

Rebels clueless apart from 2 or 3 players.

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
JH player of the match. I don’t know what they see in him
MOTM is voted for by Tahs fans at the ground who have and know how to use the Tahs app. Also they can only vote for one of three players selected by God knows who.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Just back from the game, not sure what to make of the blog. At half time I thought the Rebels were a twenty point better team. The Rebels backrow totally obliterated the Tahs, every time they made a tackle and turned it into a ruck they forced a turnover. For the whole game I thought Hardwick was best-on-ground. The Rebels attack made deep inroads into the Tah defence time and again. Carter Gordon out-played Donaldson completely, especially in the first half.

In the second half the set pieces went the Tahs way completely. Yet in the first half I don't remember winning a lineout on our own throw in the first twenty minutes. I'll watch the replay at home to try and figure it out but how the Tahs won so comprehensively on the scoreboard seemed to be all about the Tahs knowing what to do to win despite their failings.

Jorgensen and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) stood out every time they got the ball, but I thought Foketi and Perese were completely outplayed in the first half and that's not something you see most weeks.

The Rebels are not a crap team despite the opinions expressed in prior pages, they just need to learn how to win and put points on the board when they are dominant. And they need to fix their set piece play.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just back from the game, not sure what to make of the blog. At half time I thought the Rebels were a twenty point better team. The Rebels backrow totally obliterated the Tahs, every time they made a tackle and turned it into a ruck they forced a turnover. For the whole game I thought Hardwick was best-on-ground. The Rebels attack made deep inroads into the Tah defence time and again. Carter Gordon out-played Donaldson completely, especially in the first half.

In the second half the set pieces went the Tahs way completely. Yet in the first half I don't remember winning a lineout on our own throw in the first twenty minutes. I'll watch the replay at home to try and figure it out but how the Tahs won so comprehensively on the scoreboard seemed to be all about the Tahs knowing what to do to win despite their failings.

Jorgensen and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) stood out every time they got the ball, but I thought Foketi and Perese were completely outplayed in the first half and that's not something you see most weeks.

The Rebels are not a crap team despite the opinions expressed in prior pages, they just need to learn how to win and put points on the board when they are dominant. And they need to fix their set piece play.
I just got home about the same time as you and I agree with your read on the game.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Gordan has to play 10 for wallabies. Combinations could be an issue though.
Rebels forwards played some dumb rugby to lose this game.
Hooper can't play for the wallabies this year.
Canham is actually really good
Donaldson back up wallaby 10 fighting for it with Noah.
Rebels blew about 5 trys. 2 by Monty. They win this game if they take their chances.

I've been saying it all year. Just because your names Ioane, got tats and look fit doesn't mean youre a good player. Worst starting winger In super rugby.

Last edited:

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Yes, the selectors took note of that. Quite impressive seeing as he was standing in front of the attacking player at the time.
At one point he also ran the ball to the line, stopped, turned around and passed it to the Lawrance who then had to hit the ball up. Great way to force your halfback and smallest man in the field into a tackle so he can't be there to pass the ball. Just dumb

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Jake Gordon chasing at full pace 75 mins into the game is insane. Love to know what he runs a bronco in.
Gordon is the new version of Hooper; he’s basically a talisman for the Waratahs. If he plays well, the Waratahs are competitive.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well I have to say fellas, I not asking you lot for help with my picks in the Aussie games anymore :D I will just get them wrong by myself!

Haven't watched whole game been big weekend so went to be at halftime. Everyone watched game so won't say much until I watch second half, only looked not a bad crowd to me. And add the Tahs maybe are starting to show the form we thuoght they might?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

Jorgensen and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) stood out every time they got the ball, but I thought Foketi and Perese were completely outplayed in the first half and that's not something you see most weeks.

A team that is incapable of winning is crap. It’s what teams exist for. I have never been more embarrassed of a performance as I was of the Rebels last night

Wilson

David Codey (61)
And is this the Rebels season?
Pretty close to it with no bonus point and the Reds upsetting the Chiefs. The drua loosing has helped a bit, but at the moment it looks like they'll need more than just wins against the Force and Highlanders to make the 8