• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RBS 6 Nations 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really can't see the Breadman being selected as the Lions Captain. He isn't playing well enough at the moment, and may even struggle big time to even make the touring squad.

While Gatland is an ex Piggie, and IMHO, piggies make the best Captains, it would be hard to look past the experience and leadership skills of BO'D. If he can keep up the form shown in the first game then he must be considered a favoured candidate to be appointed Captain.

Alternatives: ENG - Robshaw has not stood out either as a #7 or captain. SCO - Who? WAL - Breadman - see above.

There really are slim pickings, even though I have a preference for a #2, #6, #7, or #8 to be appointed Captain, BO'D has to be looking good.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well the Captain has to be some one who is going to start all 3 test matches. At the moment there is only one player in my mind who is undoubtedly favorite to start all 3 tests, that's Cian Healy and he is not a experienced on field leader. Would love to see BOD play the entire Six Nations in that kind of form so he wraps up the captaincy.

Just had a look at the betting on it, BOD is a pretty short price already.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Some of the stats I find interesting to look at from the weekend:
Stats.jpg

Italy making more offloads than France.

England making more offloads than SBW

Ireland's Tackle count and the possion in the second half.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think the English player I'd like to see targeted early is Ben Youngs, in 2011 we did a great job on him he got rattled and eventually he got himself yellow carded. Ulster and Leinster have done something similar since then too. I'd have SOB, Best and Healy all over him early on, run over him, pull him into rucks, do anything to get into his head. If we knock him off his game Englands whole attacking game will suffer.

Although Englands lineout looks shakey with either hooker involved I'm slightly worried about Bests throwing. He hasn't been in great form recently, heres hoping for a return to top form. What do you reckon about giving Cronin a run for the last 15? I thought he could have made a real impact against the Welsh and there are few hookers better at carrying ball he is such a mobile and dynamic player, just seems Kidney isn't a fan at all.
Best hasn't been in good form? I could not believe he wasn't man of the match in Cardiff. He missed one throw and everything else he did was outstanding!!! His sin binning was an example of L'idiot Poite at his most perverse, it was clearly an Irish penalty. Cronin would have been great to bring on with Reddan in the last ten as long as the game was won, but with all hands to the deck defensively, and what an amazing defensive effort it was, that risk could not be taken. I don't care for the Lions but IMHO, they could do a lot worse than have Rory Best as captain. He has rakes of experience and most importantly I can't see there is anyone who is seriously competing for the 2 jersey.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Best hasn't been in good form? I could not believe he wasn't man of the match in Cardiff. He missed one throw and everything else he did was outstanding!!! His sin binning was an example of L'idiot Poite at his most perverse, it was clearly an Irish penalty. Cronin would have been great to bring on with Reddan in the last ten as long as the game was won, but with all hands to the deck defensively, and what an amazing defensive effort it was, that risk could not be taken. I don't care for the Lions but IMHO, they could do a lot worse than have Rory Best as captain. He has rakes of experience and most importantly I can't see there is anyone who is seriously competing for the 2 jersey.

Sorry should have been more clear, I meant his lineout throwing form. He has had some shockers in the Heineken Cup albeit in poor conditions. There are few better hookers at the breakdown and in the tight than Best

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I have to agree with Best throwing form being poor, he might have only missed one throw but there was a few that we where lucky to get the ball because he missed his target.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Guardian is reporting Wales are moving St Sam to 6 and bringing in Tipuric at 7, Hibbard will replace Rees at hooker and the backline will be unchanged. Probably the correct calls in the pack although I think they seriously need some creativity in midfield. Having the 2 boshers is a busted flush at this stage especially with Biggar at 10

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Just as a side note the IRB rankings have been updated after the weekends games. Unsuprisingly Wales and France have fallen, England and Italy have risen. Although if Ireland and France win at the weekend I would think England will fall back to 5th
Position (last week)Member UnionRating Point
1(1)
NZL.gif
NEW ZEALAND 90.08
2(2)
RSA.gif
SOUTH AFRICA 86.94
3(3)
AUS.gif
AUSTRALIA 86.87
4(5)
arrow_up_blue.gif
ENG.gif
ENGLAND 83.90
5(4)
arrow_down_red.gif
FRA.gif
FRANCE 83.49
6(6)
IRE.gif
IRELAND 81.33
7(7)
SAM.gif
SAMOA 78.71
8(8)
ARG.gif
ARGENTINA 78.71
9(10)
arrow_up_blue.gif
ITA.gif
ITALY 77.82
10(9)
arrow_down_red.gif
WAL.gif
WALES 77.27
11(11)
TGA.gif
TONGA 76.10
12(12)
SCO.gif
SCOTLAND 75.83

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wales team to play France. Injury has forced the change everyone was calling for based on form, Tipuric in for Warburton. Ryan Jones also comes in for Shingler who drops to the bench and Hibbard replaces Rees who drops out of the 23.

WALES: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues); Alex Cuthbert (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Blues), George North (Scarlets); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Toulon), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys) Adam Jones (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath), Craig Mitchell (Exeter Chiefs), Lou Reed (Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Lloyd Williams (Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the French team. Bastareaud in for Fritz is the one tactical change. Suta is in for the injured Pape. Dusautoir takes over the captaincy.

France team: Y Huget (Toulouse); W Fofana (Clermont Auvergne), M Bastareaud (Toulon), M Mermoz (Toulon), B Fall (Racing Metro); F Michalak (Toulon), M Machenaud (Racing Metro); Y Forestier (Castres), D Szarzewski (Racing Metro), N Mas (Perpignan), J Suta (Toulon), Y Maestri (Toulouse), F Ouedraogo (Montpellier), T Dusautoir (Toulouse, capt), L Picamoles (Toulouse).

Replacements: B Kayser (Clermont Auvergne), V Debaty (Clermont Auvergne), L Ducalcon (Castres), R Taofifenua (Perpignan), D Chouly (Clermont Auvergne), M Parra (Clermont Auvergne), F Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), F Fritz (Toulouse).

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
A man more cynical than me might regard St Sam of bread's injury as extremely opportune!?! Think that is quite tough on Rees to be dropped from the squad as the welsh lineout held up very well considering all the injuries. Think this could be an absolute belter of a game with two teams with plenty to prove.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
So Ireland fans exactly how nervous are you about the match on Monday?

Hard to say not exactly a threatening England team on paper, yes they beat NZ but their performances in the preceding weeks were nothing short of woeful. I mean we know England always have a meaty front row, but they have 3 6's in their backrow (I'm assuming here its Gun Show, Robshaw and Wood as reported), a flakey scrum half and 3 outhalfs in their backline (again assuming that we can believe the papers and their backline is unchanged). I think we can get at the England lineout and our backrow can really get on top of theirs. If we show the same intensity in attack for 80 minutes as we did for 43 against Wales we'll be ok. However the amount of times we've failed to show up under Kidney you just never know. Assuming Mike Ross plays 80 minutes I think we'll win by a score.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
So Ireland fans exactly how nervous are you about the match on Monday?
England in Dublin, not that worried. Think the best thing is the English press and how they have written us off already. Yes England beat Scotland by 12 points last week playing at home. We went to Wales and won by 8, Cardiff is a hard place to go and win in the 6 nations. Shame we let them back into the match and didn't just finish them off in the second half because everyone's view would be different on where Ireland stands.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Funnily enough I am not that nervous. It looks like the Ireland squad is all fit while England are without Morgan, a massive loss, and the Samoan is only fit for the bench. As long as Ross makes it to 50 minutes I am quite confident Ireland have the beating of England as long as they play as well as they did against Wales. However, stringing performances together has been an issue for Ireland so it can't be a given that the performance will be up there. If we play for 60 minutes like we played for 40 against Wales we will win; if we don't we probably won't and truth be told we won't deserve to.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Samoan officially on the bench! Can't believe Lancaster has given Ireland such a head start, I really fancy BOD and D'Arcy to come out on top in the midfield. Advantage Ireland

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I must say I am genuinely very excited by this six nations. Ireland V England will have all the passion of the british isles, but the biggest thing is that I daresay it will have world class rugby quality.. brilliant news. The team I am most cheering for is Italia though

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I worry about Ireland in the 2nd half. Surely all that tackling they did in the Welsh game will come back to bite them there. When Vunipola, Tuilagi, Waldrom, Lawes, Hartley come on there will be some big units running at tried defence there.

Status
Not open for further replies.