• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RC4 - Australia v Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I hear you and generally agree, however, Samu and Hooper are not like for like. Nor are they even really similar as players.

You're not talking about size/weight, are you?
Samu is a mediocre jumper, has a pretty high work rate, is ok at fetching and slowing the ball down and can carry fairly well.

Sounds like Hooper to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Again, its about the backrow as a combination not whether Hooper is a better 7 than (insert n comparison) (Samu is an 8 etc).

What is our best backrow is the question, not who is our three best backrowers.

I reckon Tui, Hooper and Pocock is comfortably the best combination to can field right now.

Samu replacing either Pocock or Hooper is a bit behind that.

I don't think Timu figures in any of our best combinations. He isn't good enough nor consistent enough at this stage.

Things might change when Naisarani, Dempsey or McMahon are available and playing well.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
McMahon brings his ball carrying ability to the party. Pocock has improved a great deal recently in this part of his game.
Dempsey is an excellent all around back rower.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Again, its about the backrow as a combination not whether Hooper is a better 7 than (insert n comparison) (Samu is an 8 etc).

What is our best backrow is the question, not who is our three best backrowers.

Precisely. And with the Pooper on the field, we have effectively a two or two and a half man backrow. The role Hooper plays is as yet undefined. He does not play 7, as that is Pocock's role to attack the breakdown and secure ball; he does not play 8 as he is too often playing in the 12 spot waiting to be put through a hole by Beale or just backing up Beale/Foley in defense. With either Samu or Timu, we would again have a full 8 man forward pack.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Precisely. And with the Pooper on the field, we have effectively a two or two and a half man backrow. The role Hooper plays is as yet undefined. He does not play 7, as that is Pocock's role to attack the breakdown and secure ball; he does not play 8 as he is too often playing in the 12 spot waiting to be put through a hole by Beale or just backing up Beale/Foley in defense. With either Samu or Timu, we would again have a full 8 man forward pack.
He did a great job slowing ball down against South Africa in Pococks absence. His role changes depending on who's next to him.

It's like judging a man on how fast he can run when he's been asked to jump.

Samu is not an 8. You are projecting your hopes onto the guy who is probably a regulation 7 who played 6 off the bench for the Crusaders.

Timu is an 8 but he kinda sucks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Samu is a mediocre jumper, has a pretty high work rate, is ok at fetching and slowing the ball down and can carry fairly well.

I would personally prefer Timu at 8, but Samu was pretty impressive there last weekend. On comparison with Hooper, I'd say Samu is a better lineout jumper, a better fetcher but doesn't have Hooper's high work rate, though that is not a criricism of Samu. I would prefer Samu to Hooper at both No 6 and No 8, and therefore in my view is a better bench option than Hooper. My backrow would be Tui, Pocock, Timu, with Samu on the bench.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What's your opinion of Tui out on the wing BR?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I would personally prefer Timu at 8, but Samu was pretty impressive there last weekend. On comparison with Hooper, I'd say Samu is a better lineout jumper, a better fetcher but doesn't have Hooper's high work rate, though that is not a criricism of Samu. I would prefer Samu to Hooper at both No 6 and No 8, and therefore in my view is a better bench option than Hooper. My backrow would be Tui, Pocock, Timu, with Samu on the bench.
What?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
He did a great job slowing ball down against South Africa in Pococks absence. His role changes depending on who's next to him.

It's like judging a man on how fast he can run when he's been asked to jump.

Samu is not an 8. You are projecting your hopes onto the guy who is probably a regulation 7 who played 6 off the bench for the Crusaders.

Timu is an 8 but he kinda sucks.

Hooper was the No 7 and played like a No 7. He is our second best No 7. But when Pocock is on the field even at No 8, Hooper is not required. Samu is a better bench option to cover all three backrow spots.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Hooper was the No 7 and played like a No 7. He is our second best No 7. But when Pocock is on the field even at No 8, Hooper is not required. Samu is a better bench option to cover all three backrow spots.
He plays a different role when Pocock is on the field, particularly in defence. Plus, his tackling contributions enhance Pococks pilfering abilities.

He also carries the ball better than Pocock or Samu, links with other players better than Pocock or Samu, is faster around the park than Pocock or Samu etc.

You can't with a straight face say Hooper shouldn't be picked with Pocock because they are both sevens and then pick Samu because he does exactly the same shit. You are quite maddening BR.

Edit: But talking shit with you is keeping me from doing work so its cool.

B

Bobby Sands

I reckon Tui, Hooper and Pocock is comfortably the best combination to can field right now.

Samu replacing either Pocock or Hooper is a bit behind that.

I don't think Timu figures in any of our best combinations. He isn't good enough nor consistent enough at this stage.

Things might change when Naisarani, Dempsey or McMahon are available and playing well.

I don't.

But as I've outlined before; with all players available - Hooper, Tui should be nowhere near a starting backrow.

6. McMahon, Dempsey, Cottrell, Samu etc
7. Pocock, Hooper.
8. Isa, McMahon, Pocock, Dempsey.

Tui is a very ordinary 6, and Hooper is a pretty non-descript 7. Hard to make sense of it beyond, "need big ball carrier and strong man in the pack (sic)."

Give me good rugby players any day, this isn't u/8s.

B

Bobby Sands

Well, then you are even further in the pack with understanding rugby than I thought.

Watch their width this weekend as a start.

Watch where they take the pill in both defense and attack. Watch the channels they work in.

Hooper out.

Pocock to 7, Samu to 8, Hanigan to the bench.

Praise be.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
MPci4iT.jpg

Ad hominem, classic internet strategy.

Edit: i probably would support league if Norths still played First Grade, but alas.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Maaaan what have we done to the injury gods. Is it all this hubris of people claiming Hooper is a 'nondescript 7'? I apologise on their behalf, we appreciate Hooper we really do.

But in all seriousness, what's with our big names dropping out last second?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Well, then you are even further in the pack with understanding rugby than I thought.

Watch their width this weekend as a start.

Watch where they take the pill in both defense and attack. Watch the channels they work in.

Praise be.
Turns around now Bobby. Watch where Samu plays without Hooper there. He's going to be playing with width in the 1-3-3-1, and he's going to be defending in the backline. Doing what Hooper does on instruction of his coaches

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Turns around now Bobby. Watch where Samu plays without Hooper there. He's going to be playing with width in the 1-3-3-1, and he's going to be defending in the backline. Doing what Hooper does on instruction of his coaches

Yeah I think where'll miss Hooper most is in defence. The Argies are slippery and Hooper knows how to lay a hit. Here's hoping Samu has been practicing beach sprints.

B

Bobby Sands

Please, he absolutely will not.

Let's watch this weekend with interest, I am certain our backrow will be better performed even in spite of the fact that they have not played together before.

Hooper is fine if David isn't playing if he is its a farce.

Tui is not a great 6, but I am still much happier with this backrow.

Wallabies to win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.