• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 1 SRA 2021 Queensland Reds v NSFW Waratahs

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
If I were a Tah fan I would be more offended at the ‘attack from everywhere’ and ‘50/50 pass’ game plan

giphy.gif

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Obviously very early in the season but I’m wondering if Petaia will keep his starting spot longterm. I think all the years of injury and lack of development in a senior team is starting to catch up to him and he’s looking less like the next big thing young gun we all thought he would be.

In no way am I writing him off. But he’s definitely under the spotlight this season.

I think he is rebuilding his confidence, in his body and playing ability.
Moving him to the wing is probably the right decision at this point in time, he just needs more game time and he will find his groove.

In saying that he did nicely to set up Jock Campbells try with a nice offload, so he isnt playing badly, just not to his potential.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
a 12/13 of paisami/petaia is what the reds need .. would love to see that work with daugunu/vunivalu on the wings..

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While the tight five were disappointing (front row at scrum time, second row generally) - I think the major difference between the two teams was the assurance and cohesion of the inside backs.

Gordon was strong (and I think might become a bit of a talisman for this team without Hooper) but Harrison and Walton at this stage don't have that calming/ controlling presence that a young team needs. Admittedly part of this could be attributed to the inconsistent platform provided from the forwards.

PS Can we borrow a strike outside back from the Reds?

surely you have someone you can pick in your amazing club comp down there?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Assuming Vunivalu is allowed back next week, do the Reds persist with Stewart/Pisami or move to Pisami/Petaia, or do they keep Jordie on the wing for another week and bring Vuni off the bench?
I feel like Pisami is capable of playing 12, but I'm not sure he's an out and out 12, at least not the sort the Reds want to play with. But you'd be crazy to play without Vuni on the wing, you can see they've really structured a lot of their attack around knowing they've got Daugunu (who has surprising hops), Petaia and the deadly Vunivalu under the highball.
Do you drop Campbell who's also playing good footy to play Jordie at 15?

Also WTF are the Reds going to do when they have their full compliment of forwards! LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth, Willson, McReight, Wright, and now Uru all looking like at least boarderline test players!

#GladI'mNotBrad

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Assuming Vunivalu is allowed back next week, do the Reds persist with Stewart/Pisami or move to Pisami/Petaia, or do they keep Jordie on the wing for another week and bring Vuni off the bench?
I feel like Pisami is capable of playing 12, but I'm not sure he's an out and out 12, at least not the sort the Reds want to play with. But you'd be crazy to play without Vuni on the wing, you can see they've really structured a lot of their attack around knowing they've got Daugunu (who has surprising hops), Petaia and the deadly Vunivalu under the highball.

Also WTF are the Reds going to do when they have their full compliment of forwards! LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), Blyth, Willson, McReight, Wright, and now Uru all looking like at least boarderline test players!

#GladI'mNotBrad

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It is hard to know what to say that's positive after a performance like that:
  • Absolutely smashed in the scrum by the Reds reserve front row. Both NSW props are supposedly Australian squad standard.
  • Lineout was a disaster.
  • The breakdown was like a Red birthday party.
  • As in the Gibson era, no one was powerful enough to stop runners getting over the advantage line.
  • Perese forgot he wasn't still playing league where it would have been just a penalty!
  • The backline was not very incisive at all and yet tried to run everything from everywhere.
Those who did not totally disgrace themselves: Tizzano, Sinclair, Gordon, Maddocks, Porecki, Grant.
Can we find enough improvement to avoid the wooden spoon? I doubt it.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I
Those who did not totally disgrace themselves: Tizzano, Sinclair, Gordon, Maddocks, Porecki, Grant.

Can we find enough improvement to avoid the wooden spoon? I doubt it.
Agree with the positives but can't you use "5th" instead of "wooden spoon"?

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

#GladI'mNotBrad

woahhh hold your horses champ, champ, champion.

Let's wait a few more rounds and THEN play against NZ Super Rugby sides, then we can talk about who is in test conversations.

Then again, all those names you mentioend are already test players - except Blyth and Uru.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

#GladI'mNotBrad

I dont see how you could justify any changes to the backs next week, the only changes will have to come through the bench and earn a spot after repeated good performances at the end of games.

I hope we dont resort to trying to play a highball game for Vunivalu, keep the ball in hand rather than kicking it away and score by good passing basics.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
red's15 did disappear during the game...the reds may need to test new fullback in the near future...i.e daugunu or petaia..say if they run petaia at 15 next week, nice slot opens up for Vuni, Jock to bench or bring in Droasese again who can cover centre/wing .. still think Stewart is way overrated, did more damage than good in the game.. cost them 2 tries too, tars are bad but playing like this gains brumbies will cost them

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Next week I assume they’ll bring Vunivalu onto the bench, which is a shame for Droasese but he’s young and, if he’s good enough, his time will come. The week after that decisions may need to be made - but I’m guessing they’ll want to manage the workload of Paisami & Petaia.

In any case Stewart was good and Campbell okay - he’s played better but he did some good things.

The real point of interest (after a total of 1 game) is if Uru keeps going like that will he go to 6 and push ASY (Angus Scott-Young) out when LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) comes back. Not that I though Scott-Young was bad, I thought he did well - but it will be a choice between the workrate of ASY (Angus Scott-Young) and the more dynamic Uru.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I prefer to see it as there are about 50 NRL Teams to recruit from, such luxury

On what the Tahs can pay, no quality league player will come across. They would have to take an at least 50% pay cut. Anyone good enough to earn a Wallaby top-up will go to the Reds or the Brumbies where they can play in a good coaching environment. Add in the fact that league doesn't recruit tight five type players, particularly locks, because this is what we really require.

What we really need is an increase in the player budget, but that ain't happening.

All Australians should be utterly disheartened by the state of NSW rugby. With the quality of player currently being recruited the Wallaby team talent pool just lost its biggest pond. Apart from Gordon and Maddocks, who are fringe squad players, on form no one on that team last night is likely to get a Wallaby call-up this year.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On what the Tahs can pay, no quality league player will come across. They would have to take an at least 50% pay cut. Anyone good enough to earn a Wallaby top-up will go to the Reds or the Brumbies where they can play in a good coaching environment. Add in the fact that league doesn't recruit tight five type players, particularly locks, because this is what we really require.

What we really need is an increase in the player budget, but that ain't happening.

All Australians should be utterly disheartened by the state of NSW rugby. With the quality of player currently being recruited the Wallaby team talent pool just lost its biggest pond. Apart from Gordon and Maddocks, who are fringe squad players, on form no one on that team last night is likely to get a Wallaby call-up this year.

My comment was in jest, but I don’t agree that the Wallaby team has lost its biggest pond, Brumbies, Rebels and Force have recruited plenty from NSW and will continue to do so. It certainly doesn’t help the Waratahs pathway though, and importantly it doesn’t help engage the supporters in NSW as evidenced by the Sydney tv ratings.

As for the finances, yeah they’re an issue now, but to be frank even before the covid budget-cuts the Tahs recruitment and development of locks has been rubbish. Gibson really did a number on the Tahs pathways and I’m not convinced Penney is really that much better.

Besides Vunivalu, Reds haven’t recruited any big name players. They’re all pathways players, and I’m sure that helps keep the budget down comparatively to recruiting Kiwis or interstate.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Gibson really did a number on the Tahs pathways and I’m not convinced Penney is really that much better.

Besides Vunivalu, Reds haven’t recruited any big name players. They’re all pathways players, and I’m sure that helps keep the budget down comparatively to recruiting Kiwis or interstate.

NSW being poor in the second row and lack of development players coming thru in second row is a side effect of an obsession with recruiting league players.

Just look at the two big negatives of the week for Rugby Union a player punching a security guard and a absolutely mindless red card. Both ex rugby league players and one a drug dealer as well.

We don’t need to recruit from league there hasn’t been a single league player leave rugby Union a better sport and we have their Chairman actively working against Union stopping broadcasting on Sky to pubs & clubs and complaining to Nine Entetainment.

For crying out loud there are so many grubs in league that they have had to invite the NSW Police Commissioner to join their Board

We are not going to make Rugby Union better by looking to league and their players!