• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 1 SRA 2021 Queensland Reds v NSFW Waratahs

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
[quote="Rugbynutter39, post: 1184837, member: 22466"

Tepai - played last game in Super Rugby Au and looked ok but yet still can't crack a bench spot.Penny clearly not a fan.

Ps starting side ok I suppose but bench weak...[/quote]

Yeah i was keen to see what Moeroa could do but instead we get the last chance saloon kid thrown in straight away.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I think Waratahs front row looks impressive, but other than Dempsey none of the other forwards are too worrying. But I do agree the Reds without a few key quality players should have a tough battle on their hands.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I don't understand why Moeroa isn't at 12 and Perese has always looked like a wing to me

I also don't understand what Whetton did to start

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Perese is great in contact and good speed, I don’t think he is a 13 though. Just don’t think he passes well enough, and not sure he will read the game given the time he has been out

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I find it a bit sad. No stars whatsoever, hopefully in a year or two these players will have turned into stars but it's a far cry from the Waratahs of yesteryear.

We Reds supporters found it a bit sad 2-4 years ago. I can't see any mercy been shown by the Reds on Friday night.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Reds fought hard to retain, in the end he just stopped turning up to training so he could play league

I think the organisation tried to keep him, from what I heard Thorn wasn't that fussed. I actually think it's good he moved on as the Reds are in a strong in backs now and hopefully he makes his time at the Tah's a winner.

I quite like the Tah's team. They'll be good in the future and may surprise us all tomorrow. Still expect a Reds win.

I think Tupou on the bench is smart. Let Feao start and replace him if he gets in trouble. If he goes well keep him on the field and unleash Tupou in the second half.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I saw Dane Zander play NRC in 2019 and couldn't believe he was anywhere near a Super Rugby squad in 2020. Wow was I wrong. He had a great year and now he looks to really have trimmed down in the off season. I'm really excited to see how he goes this year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
He can do the job @ 13 in Super Rugby, but he is better on the wing.

I'm kind of fond of 11: Daugunu; 12: Stewart; 15: Campbell. Vunivalu to prove himself. It's all a bit busy for Paisami and Petaia. I don't doubt that the betting man would back them to take whatever position they want. But they will need to take it.

Wing for Petaia this weekend should be interesting.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I agree with Dru. I think Stewart is our best 12, I prefer Hunter at 13 (mostly because he only really plays 12 or 13, whereas Petaia can play 11/13/14/15?), Daugunu is locked in for 11. I'm not against this idea of Petaia playing 15 if he's got the skillset for it -- I'm unconvinced he does, but I'm not Brad Thron.
It's a tough job to find spots for all the near test level talent we have in this backline.