• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 13: Rebels v Reds @ Melbourne 10/5/19 7.45 pm

S

Show-n-go

I used to love a late hit on a 5/8 early on In my career. but got reprimanded by my teammates after giving away a few penalties, It gives the opposition massive free meters and achieved very little.

I’m 100% with you but I’m not even sure I’d consider that a hit

It was just flailing arms around his legs that happened to trip him up

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
133 run metres, 1 line-break, 6 defenders beaten, and a try.
Was his best game for the Rebels, that's for sure. Big step up from last week where he was disappointing.

Also how good was his kicks for touch, low direct into a strong breeze.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously good to break their losing streak but if Brumbies get a BP v 'wolves, which you'd think likely, Rebs will finish the weekend somewhere between 6th & 9th depending also on other results.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Was his best game for the Rebels, that's for sure. Big step up from last week where he was disappointing.

Also how good was his kicks for touch, low direct into a strong breeze.

DHP really showed his rugby intellect with his kicking last night. As you say, low and direct for touch, and his high ball into the wind which he chased and caught as the wind blew it back towards him was perfect.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Good to see Jock Campbell getting time and using it, but the standout was surely Lucas. Blyth also looked the part with Hockings unavailable.

Reds set piece again outstanding, though they let in the Rebels once or twice at important moments which will give the Rebels confidence.

Reds still look to me to have little variation. "A game" or bust. Is it that hard to change gameplan maybe using a second line link man - Tupou, Hoopert and BPA could play that role I think. Especially with Stewart steaming up.

Meakes was (largely) quiet, but then so was Kerevi and it isn't hard to put those two issues together.

MOTM for me - DHP.

What was the story with Stewart - is he OK?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Good to see Jock Campbell getting time and using it, but the standout was surely Lucas. Blyth also looked the part with Hockings unavailable.

Reds set piece again outstanding, though they let in the Rebels once or twice at important moments which will give the Rebels confidence.

Reds still look to me to have little variation. "A game" or bust. Is it that hard to change gameplan maybe using a second line link man - Tupou, Hoopert and BPA could play that role I think. Especially with Stewart steaming up.

Meakes was (largely) quiet, but then so was Kerevi and it isn't hard to put those two issues together.

MOTM for me - DHP.

What was the story with Stewart - is he OK?

Stewart looked like a collar bone issue to me, hope I am wrong

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Obviously good to break their losing streak but if Brumbies get a BP v 'wolves, which you'd think likely, Rebs will finish the weekend somewhere between 6th & 9th depending also on other results.
They would of played a game less than most of the teams, so positioned in a good spot. I’m still maintaining 2 Aussie teams will make the finals. Brumbies have a nice run in and should win the majority of their games, Rebels have 3 very winnable games at home and a trip to Japan (win 3 of these 4 opportunities and it’s guaranteed finals, easier said than done tho) even the game against the Crusaders is an easy opportunity to rest everyone that needs to be in the same game making them fresher for the other games. Even the Reds have a chance with most the remaining games very winnable.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Hate seeing QC (Quade Cooper) get injured bending his back and getting into a (semi-) decent position to tackle.

It's going to take him 2 years to get his confidence back up to do it again

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rebels, if good enough, should win at least three and probably four of the remaining five. i am encouraged by the last two weeks, patches of really clever play and some resilience when under the pump. the defensive set up still worries me.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am not sure skill wise this game was a great advert for rugby - glimpses of brilliance but long periods of scrappy play with poor ball control. Rebels for all their wallaby talent are for me still performing way below expectations

TheNorth

Allen Oxlade (6)
RHP does a lot of good work but he ruins it with the 4-5 stinker of mistakes he makes each game.

He has a lot of potential but I wouldn’t be playing him in the final 20 mins of a final