• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RD 16: Rebels v Tahs

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Only seen the highlights but looks to be a clear forward pass in lead ups to one each of the Tahs and Rebels tries. Not sure how that maul didn't get awarded either. Surely it should be presumed they score unless clear evidence otherwise.
It's the other way round. Ref needs clear evidence that the ball has been grounded ie they, an AR or TMO need to see it and they can't guess

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I thought Rona was planning on making a regulation tackle, but then Koro stepped back into him and he couldn't adjust to get his arm around.

It was a shoulder charge, but I don't think it was deliberate or cynical. Penalty was a fair call, but if it was anything more I reckon Rona would be right to feel a bit aggrieved.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I thought Rona was planning on making a regulation tackle, but then Koro stepped back into him and he couldn't adjust to get his arm around.

It was a shoulder charge, but I don't think it was deliberate or cynical. Penalty was a fair call, but if it was anything more I reckon Rona would be right to feel a bit aggrieved.

Ask Harry Hockings about whether that matters...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Under the laws though, I don't think you can reconcile with it being a penalty offence that falls under the foul play law that prevented a try without giving it a penalty try and yellow card.

Rona and the Waratahs were very lucky but credit to him for getting there and putting his body on the line to give them a chance. Due to the refereeing it turned out to be a pivotal play in the match.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Under the laws though, I don't think you can reconcile with it being a penalty offence that falls under the foul play law that prevented a try without giving it a penalty try and yellow card.

Rona and the Waratahs were very lucky but credit to him for getting there and putting his body on the line to give them a chance. Due to the refereeing it turned out to be a pivotal play in the match.
Yeah looked like Koro was in for all money.

Koro has 0 stepping ability hey.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah looked like Koro was in for all money.

Koro has 0 stepping ability hey.

In this defence though, I think in order to beat Rona you'd step earlier because Rona really can't make any significant adjustment. The trouble there though was that Hooper can then make the tackle if he does step inside earlier which was the easier stop of the two to make.

Koroibete had a very good game and his form is really strong. He'll be a starting winger for the Wallabies for sure.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Koro can step but he was at 100% gas; putting in a jagged change of direction at that speed is tough. Had he looked up (another perpetual gap for him!) he might have approached it better. That said, I and the entire crowd was flummoxed that it wasn't penalised. I also thought Cottrell was lucky not to be carded, and again that wasn't even penalised.

I'm shitty with Wessels and the coaching staff. Whoever sat in on the strategy meeting needs a spanking imo. We took early points, where in every other game we'd have kicked for tough (then knocked on). That was positive.

But the in-play kicking was so poorly planned and executed. Genia pulls off a clever stab behind the blind winger from time to time, but Cooper and DHP aren't effective kickers, yet play after play they'd hoist it back down the throat of Beale and either get turned around or allow him a chance to counter attack at slow forwards.

Ruru kicking the pill away at the death epitomised the Rebels' for me. No plan B, poorly executed Plan A. Flat-track bullies who run over an empty Sunwolves then turn to water when faced with some forward starch.

Maybe it's a coping mechanism but I've come to expect them to fumble the ball in attack. It's like a script; kick for touch, win the lineout and either:
a) set a shit maul and get shunted backward/sideways
b) pick and drive or pass one-out from the ruck, dropping the ball after 7 phases, or
c) throw a looping pass to English or Koro who take it in midfield, put the ball under their wing then not pass to unmarked wingers on their outside.

And to top it off I actually went and shivered through that dross. Would have been better off voting with my feet.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Cottrell one was a mystery, in my eyes clearly a yellow. It was a poorly timed attempt at the high ball and put the opposite player in a dangerous position.

The Rona one was clear and deliberate. There was never any intention to attempt to wrap, infact the shoulder charge was the only way to stop momentum from a player that close to the line. A simple tackle wouldn’t be sufficient enough to halt momentum on the angles they were coming in from.

I said it earlier it was a poorly refereed game, where the players didn’t decide the result. Another ref and either the Tahs or Rebels could of won by 10+.

Some of the knock ons were abysmal as well. That lead to significant moments for both teams.

Positioning for the rolling maul no try was also terrible. Probability would dictate the Rebels scored it, which then should change the situation when referred to the tmo, to find any reason not to give it.

The lack of overhead angle on the Koroibete pass for Genia try was strange.

The refusal to look at a massive forward pass from Beale in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try was incompetent.

Overall I’m not sure how many points were actually scored without an element of clear controversy in the lead up

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
All true from a Rebels perspective. But we still weren't good enough to put ourselves in a position to win it. A very frustrating team.

Rug&tug

Stan Wickham (3)
The Cottrell one was a mystery, in my eyes clearly a yellow. It was a poorly timed attempt at the high ball and put the opposite player in a dangerous position.

The Rona one was clear and deliberate. There was never any intention to attempt to wrap, infact the shoulder charge was the only way to stop momentum from a player that close to the line. A simple tackle wouldn’t be sufficient enough to halt momentum on the angles they were coming in from.

I said it earlier it was a poorly refereed game, where the players didn’t decide the result. Another ref and either the Tahs or Rebels could of won by 10+.

Some of the knock ons were abysmal as well. That lead to significant moments for both teams.

Positioning for the rolling maul no try was also terrible. Probability would dictate the Rebels scored it, which then should change the situation when referred to the tmo, to find any reason not to give it.

The refusal to look at a massive forward pass from Beale in AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) try was incompetent.

Overall I’m not sure how many points were actually scored without an element of clear controversy in the lead up

I think Angus was saved because DHP inadvertently knocked him towards foley whilst they both looked to be attempting to pull out of the contest.
I think that was reffed ok.. there’s only so much you can do to avoid contact in real time. They always look much worse when slowed down for the replays.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Angus was saved because DHP inadvertently knocked him towards foley whilst they both looked to be attempting to pull out of the contest.
I think that was reffed ok.. there’s only so much you can do to avoid contact in real time. They always look much worse when slowed down for the replays.

I don't really get how that saves Cottrell though. It didn't make it less dangerous because it wasn't his fault.

I thought that was bad refereeing along with many other aspects. The Tahs got the rub of the green overall but certainly there were poor decisions both ways.