• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rd 9: Rebels v Stormers - Fri 12th @7:45pm

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
One of the pleasures of rugby is to watch good sides counter previously successful game plans and watch that previously successful game plan fall to pieces.

They took the flat runner go forward away from the Rebels and well, they were found wanting.

It will be interesting to see how they react, the Super Rugby hasn't even started to get hard yet and now sides have a working template as to make life difficult for them

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
One of the pleasures of rugby is to watch good sides counter previously successful game plans and watch that previously successful game plan fall to pieces.

They took the flat runner go forward away from the Rebels and well, they were found wanting.

It will be interesting to see how they react, the Super Rugby hasn't even started to get hard yet and now sides have a working template as to make life difficult for them
Yep. Ive been expecting a flat rush defence to counter our flat attack. I'm surprised it took so long. My only contention with this comment is the term "runner". Our blokes were very static receiving the ball whilst the stormers were already moving as soon as thr half back had the ball. This gave them all the momentum in the collision. In past games our blokes have been moving forward whilst receiving so the momentum was with us. Rangi and Phillip in particular are very good at this and why they are so successful at bending the line.

Something that seems to have been missed in the acknowledgment of the defense is they also slowed down the breakdown. I think this contributed in a big way to upsetting the timing of the attack. It's something that really good teams will adjust for. Unfortunately we didn't (look at how many passes went behind the runner, it not all the half backs fault. Meakes was level with the defence when he reached back for that one near the try line).

The rebels keep saying they are looking to improve every training so I hope the blokes look at this and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yep. Ive been expecting a flat rush defence to counter our flat attack. I'm surprised it took so long. My only contention with this comment is the term "runner". Our blokes were very static receiving the ball whilst the stormers were already moving as soon as thr half back had the ball. This gave them all the momentum in the collision. In past games our blokes have been moving forward whilst receiving so the momentum was with us. Rangi and Phillip in particular are very good at this and why they are so successful at bending the line.

Something that seems to have been missed in the acknowledgment of the defense is they also slowed down the breakdown. I think this contributed in a big way to upsetting the timing of the attack. It's something that really good teams will adjust for. Unfortunately we didn't (look at how many passes went behind the runner, it not all the half backs fault. Meakes was level with the defence when he reached back for that one near the try line).

The rebels keep saying they are looking to improve every training so I hope the blokes look at this and chalk it up to a learning experience.

100% agree. Genia spent all night digging the ball out or throwing around players on the rebels side of the ruck In the second half, Ruru went left and goes to pass but there was a lazy runner in the channel so he swings back to the right and we then turn it over.

What disappointed me the most is that the Rebels didnt identify this and throw an extra man into the breakdown. There was no plan B.

Jones showed his pre-France form and was completely passive in contact.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Worryingly they looked completely clueless for most of the match. You expect good players to stand up and be counted under pressure, this separates a provincial level player from an international. I think some questions were answered in terms of the ability of some of these guys to stand up and be counted.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Yeah, Nah. I wouldn't go that far. All teams have an off day and pro rugby is very unforgiving of being even just a little off.

Defence was the biggest issue for us as the stats above highlight.

dru

Tim Horan (67)

So I guess that the Waratahs now have the chance to prove the theory.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
I assume that means that you too don't know the attendance numbers...

Force Fan I had been wondering the same thing. Interestingly every other sport at AAMI Park has a crowd listed on AusStadiums website, even a 5k crowd for Melbourne City.
Screenshot_20190418-074123_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Spot on. And likewise, seeing a team able to switch it up to counter an opposition who's worked them out.

All I'll add is that the team looked tired and distracted from the 20th minute. Maybe the early bye is coming home to bite us?