• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
maybe because NSW hasnt produced a good 5/8 in nearly 15 years

A very sad but true indictment of NSW Rugby and the main reason why they have never lifted the Super Cup. They have had the forward pack a few times and the outside backs as well but the pivot role has been missing since Scotty Bowen and before him David Knox.

Empire

Syd Malcolm (24)
Regarding Denan Kemp - I think that he has been signed onto a 7's contract with the ARU and will be joining that squad shortly...

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Let's say JOC (James O'Connor) signs and Cippers somehow stays. How about this for a backline:

9. Phipps
10. Cipriani
11. Vuna
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Mortlock
14. Gerrard
15. Beale

Wow. That will score tries.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Mortlock might have finally broken by next year, quite possibly will be Inman. I'd say you're right about Gerrard on the wing, although with Kingi on a wing that would be an absolutely electric backline.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I hadn't (seriously) considered the possibility of getting both JOC (James O'Connor) and Cips next year. Someone is seriously going to have to retire post WC to facilitate adding KB (Kurtley Beale) + JOC (James O'Connor) + Inman to the backline.

It could very well be Mortlock; what's the bets he has some sort of mentoring or coaching position lined up? Perhaps its an in with the Melbourne business community: "Come to Melbourne Stirling, play one year and we'll sort you out with a post-rugby postion" doesn't seem too far fetched.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
Clarkie tweeting about rumors that JOC (James O'Connor) will sign next week

@greg_clarkie: Anyone else hearing that James O'Connor will sign with the Rebels next week?

Smoke/fire and all that...

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Clarkie tweeting about rumors that JOC (James O'Connor) will sign next week

Smoke/fire and all that...

James just posted a similar thing above. ABC Grandstand saying he'll sign on Monday. I'm trying not to get too excited about this, seems too good to be true, especially coming after Gilbert's signing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-world-cup-cause/story-e6frg7o6-1226039366144 adds some fuel to the discussion about what will be happening next year in Melbourne. If that is to be believed then the Rebels team is almost certainly going to contain both Cipriani and KB (Kurtley Beale).

But http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...n-in-the-drinking-culture-20110414-1dg16.html suggests that he won't. Its all very confusing. ::)

Sounds like the SMH are just a bit bitter over the loss of Gilbert so they are trying to make some shit stick

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Sounds like the SMH are just a bit bitter over the loss of Gilbert so they are trying to make some shit stick

Hence the ::) for mine.

SMH has really been very grubby throughout this affair. The Oz team has been probably the best of the lot imo.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I do find it interesting that, regarding both KB (Kurtley Beale)'s actual move and now JO'C's speculated upon one, the media management and PR leaks all are designed to create defensive alignment and arse-cover management to avoid unfortunate external conclusions that perhaps, just perhaps, these fine talents are not principally departing for vast $ uplifts, but might in fact be leaving because:

- they believe more in what Macqueen (and his support) is by repute, style and by achievement (and thus the coaching/team culture benefits for them, developmentally) vs what they have come to know of Hickey's and Graham's worlds.

Shock, horror. Might they actually care about such things?

No one managerially in elite Aus rugby takes responsibility for anything much any more, haven't we all noticed? It is always injury problems, crazy money being offered, 'set up for life' stuff, looking for new pastures, under funding of some critical program that's the ARU's fault, lack of player depth in Aus rugby, he's heading overseas, etc. Nothing is ever anyone's fault, it's almost always 'external circumstances'. We live by fate in this code, don't you know?

At least that I have seen thus far, no manager of standing has stood up at the Tahs or NSWRU and said something like: "We greatly regret KB (Kurtley Beale)'s leaving, it ideally should not have happened this way, and at this time. We going to objectively analyse what if anything we could have done better in the Tahs management, or in the NSWRU, to keep such a key player on board. Meanwhile, we thank KB (Kurtley Beale) for a major contribution NSW rugby and wish him well for his future career in Aus rugby"

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes and no RH. It has always been that way. It is very hard for us to speculate on a player's motives for leaving one club for another, because there are so many different factors at play, both personal and professional.

I would suggest a good thing to look at is the number of players leaving a certain club. JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are really the only players leaving their respective clubs. Surely that points to more personal factors at play. If there were endemic club problems then you would see more players leaving at once- as seems to be the case with the Brumbies.

I am not saying there aren't issues at both the Force and Tahs, but I think it would be a bit much to suggest that KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) moved because of them. The management should be more receptive to criticism, but it is hard for them to comment unless KB (Kurtley Beale) tells them his specific grievances. I suspect the Tahs were a bit blindsided by Beale's move, and thus there response has been vague as they are yet to work out what they did wrong.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
As I have pointed out previously, Inman has left the Force for the Rebels next year. Many people are suggesting Hodgson might also go. At least in that latter case it would be because of a personal desire to get a starting gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.