• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yes and no RH. It has always been that way. It is very hard for us to speculate on a player's motives for leaving one club for another, because there are so many different factors at play, both personal and professional.

I would suggest a good thing to look at is the number of players leaving a certain club. JOC (James O'Connor) and KB (Kurtley Beale) are really the only players leaving their respective clubs. Surely that points to more personal factors at play. If there were endemic club problems then you would see more players leaving at once- as seems to be the case with the Brumbies.

I am not saying there aren't issues at both the Force and Tahs, but I think it would be a bit much to suggest that KB (Kurtley Beale) and JOC (James O'Connor) moved because of them. The management should be more receptive to criticism, but it is hard for them to comment unless KB (Kurtley Beale) tells them his specific grievances. I suspect the Tahs were a bit blindsided by Beale's move, and thus there response has been vague as they are yet to work out what they did wrong.

I would, as respectfully as possible, suggest the Tahs are incapable at a management level of identifying what they did wrong with Kurtley. They have shown scarce nous or foresight over a number of signings, and indeed non-signings in recent years. Plus, I think, players want some sort of "plan". They want to know who will be coaching them in the next few years, and whether that coach has what it takes to get the team to a level that the players want. Nobody seems to have a clue who will coach the Tahs next year, but they all know who will be in charge in Melbourne, and what his track record is like.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Macqueen is obviously building a team to win the comp sometime over the next couple of seasons.

The big question now is who is next, I think a big name forward signing is on the cards. My money is on one of the brumbies backrowers making the switch, especially with delve and lipman moving on over the next couple of years. He will probably go after a tight forward aswell, has James Hanson resigned? In terms of locks, I expect O'Connor or Timani might make the move south. Australia's second row depth isnt great, this is where I'd like to see Rod try and convert an AFL player, or maybe a hard nosed Brad Thorn type league player.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I would, as respectfully as possible, suggest the Tahs are incapable at a management level of identifying what they did wrong with Kurtley. They have shown scarce nous or foresight over a number of signings, and indeed non-signings in recent years. Plus, I think, players want some sort of "plan". They want to know who will be coaching them in the next few years, and whether that coach has what it takes to get the team to a level that the players want. Nobody seems to have a clue who will coach the Tahs next year, but they all know who will be in charge in Melbourne, and what his track record is like.

Yeah I am no fan of the NSWRU but to be fair this is the first big player they have lost since Rocky, and he went to Ireland so its not really comparable. They have built a very good side, and it has attracted more players than it has pushed away- think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Barnes, Vickerman, Mitchell etc.

The coaching issue I think is a factor, and you have hit the nail on the head with the lack of planning. Hopefully they can rectify this soon, but I doubt it.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I reckon this could convince Cipriani to stay. So my take:

9. Phipps
10. Cipriani.
11.Vuna
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Inman
14. take your pick
15. Beale

Bench: 20. Kingi then from Huxley, Gerrard, Mortlock, Hilgendorf, Rooney, Mitchell, Du Plessis, Beatham, Taumoepeau.

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
Word of Cips moving to Toulon to cover for Wilko during the World Cup - http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...oeful-first-half/story-e6frg7o6-1226047996454

Meanwhile, Melbourne's English five-eighth Danny Cipriani is poised to sign a short-term contract with French club Toulon to replace Jonny Wilkinson during the World Cup in New Zealand.

The Daily Mail in England reported that negotiations between Cipriani and Toulon were close to being finalised.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/ru...ani-lined-replace-Jonny-Wilkinson-Toulon.html - Daily article.

T

TOCC

I dont know why, Rooney hasnt overly impressed me, surely there are better wingers throughout Europe he could be chasing

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I dont know why, Rooney hasnt overly impressed me, surely there are better wingers throughout Europe he could be chasing

He has played for Toulon last year when the club had great results. This year they were crap so Boudjellal might want to find back this good team spirit from 2009-10 season.

D

Dunnman

Rooney couldn't even make the Hawkes Bay team when he was playing provincial rugby in nz.... lord knows how he picked up a super 15 contract

T

TOCC

Rooney couldn't even make the Hawkes Bay team when he was playing provincial rugby in nz.... lord knows how he picked up a super 15 contract

he signed with the Rebels before he turned out for Hawkes Bay

In Rooney's defence, i thought he was one of the best finishers in the NRL for a few years there, wasn't a playmaker or magician, but you give him the ball with a inch of space and he would find the tryline every time.

B

Burke's Boot

Rebs - Moving Forward

Sorry to use that awful Gillardism but where to for 2012?

- Whoever is in charge of defence needs to go first

- Nathan Grey as the "skills" coach was always a laugh as he was a crash merchant who unbelievably was fly-half for the Wobs against the Poms in Melbourne 03. He could only pass in one direction and often cut-outs were thrown to get the ball wide quickly past him during his days at the Tahs. Campese Super Rugby does this job at Sydney Uni and did it very well for the Sharks in Super Rugby too.

- A proper fly-half as its not looking like Cips will be staying. It goes without saying a side without a good flyhalf is like a body without a head. Perhaps Beale is lined up to play here but Ben Lucas was excellent in the 07 ARC for the Tornadoes in this position which is naturally his best by some margin. Anyone know if he is off-contract with the Reds?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Sorry to use that awful Gillardism but where to for 2012?

- Whoever is in charge of defence needs to go first

- Nathan Grey as the "skills" coach was always a laugh as he was a crash merchant who unbelievably was fly-half for the Wobs against the Poms in Melbourne 03. He could only pass in one direction and often cut-outs were thrown to get the ball wide quickly past him during his days at the Tahs. Campese Super Rugby does this job at Sydney Uni and did it very well for the Sharks in Super Rugby too.

- A proper fly-half as its not looking like Cips will be staying. It goes without saying a side without a good flyhalf is like a body without a head. Perhaps Beale is lined up to play here but Ben Lucas was excellent in the 07 ARC for the Tornadoes in this position which is naturally his best by some margin. Anyone know if he is off-contract with the Reds?

Lucas has already re-signed with the reds for a couple more seasons.

It all depends on where JOC (James O'Connor) go's. If it is to the reds than the rebels should get Jono Lance. If he go's to the ponies than the rebels should get To'omua or Leali'ifano. The waratahs also have a few young 10's in the system but they are all pretty unproven at the moment. I'd also like to see Elsom head to the rebels. It makes sense and is a good move for australian rugby. Likewise one of the hookers from the force, they are both pretty solid players. And Jack Lam is also worth a look in but I don't know if he is off contract. A backrow of Elsom, Lam and Delve with saffy covering when one of them invariably gets injured would be more than competitive.

Certainly a lot of dead weight needs to be cut from the the rebels over the next couple of seasons. New backs and defensive coaches should be looked into. The rebels have unearthed some gems in the form of Phibbs, Kingi, Saffy and Pyle, and they have created a core of strong players like Sommerville, Robinson and Gerrard. Add in a couple of top class internationals (Beale and Elsom), some seasoned professionals (Inman, Charles), as well as some quality young backs (take your pick of the reds academy) and you have a team capable of matching it with the big guns.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
For next year I would get rid of:

Adam Byrnes (Queensland Reds)
Luke Rooney (Toulon)
Hoani Macdonald (Newport Gwent Dragons)
Kevin O'Neill (Chiefs)
Tom Chamberlain (Blues)
James Hilgendorf (Kobe Steel)
Sam Cordingley (Grenoble) - retiring?

I would consider keeping:

Michael Lipman (Bath)
Alistair Campbell (Montpellier)
Danny Cipriani (London Wasps)
Lachlan Mitchell (London Wasps)
Tim Davidson (NSW Waratahs)
Adam Freier (NSW Waratahs) - could just do some PR work for them.
Heath Tessman (NSW Waratahs) - Has he even got a run?
Julian Huxley (Brumbies)
Nic Henderson (Western Force)

I would defiantly keep:

Peter Betham (Brumbies)
Luke Jones (Western Force)
Richard Kingi (Queensland Reds)
Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies)
Gareth Delve (Gloucester)
Jarrod Saffy (rugby league - St George Illawarra)
Mark Gerrard (NTT Communications)
Greg Somerville (Gloucester)
Cooper Vuna (rugby league - Newcastle Knights)
Laurie Weeks (Queensland Reds)
Rodney Blake (Bayonne)
JP Du Plessis (rugby league - Sydney Roosters)
Nicholas Phipps (Australia sevens)
Hugh Pyle (Brumbies)
Ged Robinson (Wellington Lions)
Afusipa Taumoepeau (Brumbies)

Already Signed:
Beale (NSW Waratahs)
Mitch Inman (Western Force)

Consider signing:
Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
Hugh McMemiman (Kubota)
Nathan Charles (Western Force)
Jack Lam (Hurricanes)
Jono Lance (Reds Academy)
Matt Brandon (East Suburbs - Brisbane)
Joe Tomane (NRL - Titans) - playing qld cup, would be cheap as chips.

They also need a 3rd choice scrumhalf and some locks.

Can this thread be merged with the rebels 2012 thread?

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Jack Lam is also worth a look in but I don't know if he is off contract. A backrow of Elsom, Lam and Delve with saffy covering when one of them invariably gets injured would be more than competitive.

Pretty sure Jack was drafted on a 1 year contract as backup to Lowe and Lilo. It'll help the Rebels cause having his younger brother already in the squad if they were to chase him. Good to get him back home if they do.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Two guys I have seen in the Shute Shield worth taking a closer look at (I'd assume the management already have) are Deon Berryman (Gordon) who apparently spent time in the Force academy before being released (good young fullback) and Dewet Roos (Southern Districts) who is rated by some as the best young scrumhalf in the competition.

If they are looking for forwards then the first port of call should be the Uni pack, so good young technical players there.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Flyhalf is the first and most imperative recruitment requirement. If they want to continue with the predominantly territory game then they need to select accordingly. I would suggest a good place to start could be Malone or (ex Sydney Uni) who I believe is now in France.

Status
Not open for further replies.