• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TheNextBigThing

Perret's played the last few games for the tahs. He might be up for a full time Waratahs contract if negotiations with Mowen aren't resolved. It's either Perret, Alcock or Elsom.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
Just throwing out a possible Rebels 2012 Line Up ;

15. K Beale
14. P Betham
13. M Inman
12. J O'Connor
11. C Vuna
10. D Cipriani
9. N Phipps
8. G Delve
7. M Lipman / H Perret (Played Rising Rebel Games in March - Not sure whos his signed with after 2011)
6. J Saffy
5. A Campbell
4. H Pyle
3. L Weeks
2. G Robinson
1. R Blake / E Aholelei (Played Rising Rebel Games)

Gerrard for Betham and thats about right

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
Word is Beale wants to play 10 and O'Connor 12. With Gerard at the back and Snorky and Inman as Centre options, that's a dramatically better backline. Certainly not the Swiss Cheese combination of Cipriani, Huxley and Vuna, they had for part of 2011.

wobbly

Fred Wood (13)
15. Gerrard
14. Vuna
13. Mortlock / Inman
12. O'Connor
11. Taumoepeia (sp?)
10. Beale
9. Phipps
8. Delve
7. Lipman / Saffy
6. Saffy / Elsom
5. Pyle
4. McMenimen / Campbell / Jones
3. Weeks
2. Robinson
1. Blake

I'd like to see Saffy rotated into blindside next season, especially if they pick up the unwanted Elsom. They need a quality lock so I reckon they should pull out all stops for 3M. Another quality prop wouldn't hurt either. That sort of pack ought to give Beale and Rabbit some space. They need a steadying hand like Gerrard behind them though.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Predictive teams containing unsigned players are of very little value.

There are a lot of questions that need answering, but there is a lot of time to answer them in.

If Kurtley Beale wants to play 10 and James O'Connor 12, where do you play Danny Cipriani? 15? Bench? If you play him at 15, where do you play Mark Gerrard? Will Mitch Inman replace Stirling Mortlock at 13? Will he be played on the wing perhaps? Will they continue using Richard Kingi on the wing? Where is Cooper Vuna going to fit in all this? Will he learn to tackle?

I am not sure there is a place for Julian Huxley, beyond as utility depth in the team.

I have more opinions on the forward pack, as that is something I am more familiar with.

I concur with sentiments that Jarrod Saffy could switch to open side quite well, it seems the position he is more naturally suited to. Of all the players that the Rebels have on staff that could be a legitimate blindside option, Luke Jones is the one that jumps to mind moreso than any other. Depending on how his development goes, he might be a better second row prospect, but considering how Hugh Pyle and Alistair Campbell went this year, I think they'd have first dibs on the 4 and 5 jerseys. I don't think that getting rid of Adam Byrnes is a smart move, unless another lock is recruited to replace him. Even then, I'd be more inclined to look at younger options than 3M. Another prop does need to be recruited to replace Yoda, where from is hard to say. I'm not particularly enamoured with Nic Henderson, but whether Rodney Blake is a better option when he couldn't justify a starting spot for 80% of the season is very hard to say.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I don't think that getting rid of Adam Byrnes is a smart move, unless another lock is recruited to replace him. Even then, I'd be more inclined to look at younger options than 3M.

Fair enough, but can you name another Australian lock who could make the step up?

In any case, Rebels likely dont have the money for 3m, especially if they get elsom. But if they got both of them that pack starts to look every bit as good as the backline.

W

waves

Fair enough, but can you name another Australian lock who could make the step up?

In any case, Rebels likely dont have the money for 3m, especially if they get elsom. But if they got both of them that pack starts to look every bit as good as the backline.

What about now that Vickerman is at the Waratahs one of their promising young locks moving to Melbourne, Pat O'Connor ?? Timani will be back again with them next season after a pre season in Japan but that could benefit Rebels lock issues.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What about now that Vickerman is at the Waratahs one of their promising young locks moving to Melbourne, Pat O'Connor ?? Timani will be back again with them next season after a pre season in Japan but that could benefit Rebels lock issues.

He's already off to france.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I hear the young SAF back signed from league is heading back to SAF. Never got much of a chance did he? Was he injured?

W

waves

Yes, but the word is he will be back for next season after he completes his Japanese committments.

Spending his pre-season over in Japan before heading back in March to join the Tahs

BrumbiesPolynesian

Fred Wood (13)
Pretty sure Jack was drafted on a 1 year contract as backup to Lowe and Lilo. It'll help the Rebels cause having his younger brother already in the squad if they were to chase him. Good to get him back home if they do.

Jack Lam is contracted to Waikato and more than likely will resign to play his S15 Rugby with the Chiefs (rumors are Latimer is off overseas as is Scott Waldrom). thats the likely senario although he could find himself back in Wellington as he is a favourite of Mark Hammet. Also younger brother Seilala, being courted by two big provinces in NZ to join them in the next few weeks for ITM Cup....watch this space !

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Most of the noise surrounding him was "fantastic except for the last 6 inches"/"great athlete, not so great ball player".

If I've guessed correctly, and we're talking about JP du Plessis, then I agree with tranquility.

He is only 20 and must be very nearly qualified for Aus now (not that I'm suggesting he's going to play for the Wallabies anytime soon, rather that he won't be taking up an import spot on the Rebel roster). If he's heading home for his own reasons then it's a shame, however, if he's heading home because he's been told he's surplus to requirements, then IMO its a mistake.

Young 'first choice' athletes who want to play rugby are not something to be let go at the ripe old age of 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom