• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

Heaven should be moved so that Horie can stay in Melbourne beyond this season. He is really helping to bridge the gap and it is so important for the game both commercially and competitively that Japan takes the next step as a rugby nation.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Steve Fualau was listed in Monday's injury update with a knee injury and undergoing further assessment. Does anyone know anything further?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Heaven should be moved so that Horie can stay in Melbourne beyond this season. He is really helping to bridge the gap and it is so important for the game both commercially and competitively that Japan takes the next step as a rugby nation.

He's developing into a really good player. Not only should efforts be made to keep him at the Rebels. I'd actually like to see a few more Japanese players recruited into Super Rugby squads. There are a few that would go well at that level.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
He's developing into a really good player. Not only should efforts be made to keep him at the Rebels. I'd actually like to see a few more Japanese players recruited into Super Rugby squads. There are a few that would go well at that level.

He is playing well, but if wevlose him we will have Tom Sexton back from tesm rehab next yesr. Straight swap hopefully, but grsnted Tom is untexted at the Super Rugby level.

On another note has anyone heard and updates on Max Lahiff? No injury report, no Dewar shield. Wondering whats happened to the big rig.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
He is playing well, but if wevlose him we will have Tom Sexton back from tesm rehab next yesr. Straight swap hopefully, but grsnted Tom is untexted at the Super Rugby level.

On another note has anyone heard and updates on Max Lahiff? No injury report, no Dewar shield. Wondering whats happened to the big rig.

he was wandering around at AAMI last night with the other Rebs not playing, seemed OK to me from afar, not limping, no crutches, no slings etc

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think Higgers really put the McCalman V Higgers argument to rest, he was very good last night.

Perhaps they could still be a 6/8 combo though.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Only if by putting it to rest you mean that Higgers threw in the towel.

Check the stats. McCalman was far more effective. With the exception of the Rebels vs Cheetahs game, he has been all season. Higgers might play better at International level (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) often does) but at the moment he has far from earned a starting Wallabies jersey.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Check the stats. McCalman was far more effective. With the exception of the Rebels vs Cheetahs game, he has been all season. Higgers might play better at International level (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) often does) but at the moment he has far from earned a starting Wallabies jersey.

I disagree, here's a post I just wrote up on the other thread on the Higgers V McCalman debate particularly focusing on the stats available from the Force V Rebels game.

As a side note, I see no dominant 6 currently and with Cliffy's injury status a dice roll I see no reason why they can't be 6/8 with Fardy in the 2nd row.

As a percentage of total tackles made by both teams it's pretty on par, I think Higgers may have even made a higher percentage of tackles. Plus like you've said, the disparity in stats raises questions.

I always balk a bit at the 'tackles made' stat because it's so inconclusive. Were they the tackler or tackle assist? Were they dominant tackles? I feel like stats like tries scored and rucks attended are relevant too, which aren't here.

IDK mate, I just think stats aren't too helpful unless you REALLY go into depth. Us armchair experts aren't privy to that kind of data gathering.

I think sometimes qualitative can be as good as quantitative game assessment and IMO qualitatively Higgers played better.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
he was wandering around at AAMI last night with the other Rebs not playing, seemed OK to me from afar, not limping, no crutches, no slings etc

Saw him pop up in the RaboRugby IG feed doing the sponsor thing with tom sexton. Funny but didnt look he was wearing team dress kit, just a blue check shirt (thought it was dark blue suit, plain white shirt and blue tie). gonna leave the tin foil hat in the drawer for now, but at least hes out with the team doing his thing.

I just find it baffling hes gone from starting against the ponies to almost no sighting. Hope all is good.

T

Train Without a Station

Perhaps it's just a management issue. Came from Aviva premiership, played ITM and straight into pre season 3 days after ITM cup grand final.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Neither were all that good last night. Higginbotham got the try but was largely ineffective. The same with McCalman. Plenty of work but very little impact. Certainly not the impact you need from an 8 man.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I agree with @en_force_er. We don't really have the advanced stats to make a purely numbers driven analysis of a players game. They're interesting, but far too basic to tell us anything we didn't already know.

The eye test said to me that Higgers had the better game, but that neither were great. Jones is really throwing down though, form lock in Australia at the moment.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Perhaps it's just a management issue. Came from Aviva premiership, played ITM and straight into pre season 3 days after ITM cup grand final.
he did look absolutely, totally rooted when he came off during the brumbies game, looked like an asthmatic about to stop breathing ! might have needed a couple of weeks rest and Ah-nau has done a very good fill in job i think.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I agree with @en_force_er. We don't really have the advanced stats to make a purely numbers driven analysis of a players game. They're interesting, but far too basic to tell us anything we didn't already know.

The eye test said to me that Higgers had the better game, but that neither were great. Jones is really throwing down though, form lock in Australia at the moment.

Jones has been in great form. Gets over the advantage line in nearly every hit up. When Skelton matures, he and Jones will form a very good 2nd row partnership.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

You mean that eye test where the player looks better depending on which colour jersey they and the observer are wearing.

It's funny that people say that McCalman made more tackles because the force never had the ball yet gloss over that he made the same number of runs for about 7m less not bad for a player who's team never had the ball.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Sure. Nearly everyone would back in the player on the team they support. That's human nature. I really have no problem with McCalman, to my eyes he's been the form No. 8 in Australia and will deserve a Wallaby jersey if he keeps it up.

I felt on Friday that he had marginally less impact than Higgers. The stats are saying he had a higher workrate which I can believe, but that doesn't always translate to greater effect. I could well be wrong in thinking that Higgers was better, I haven't seen a replay yet, but I don't think the basic stats we have on hand tell enough of a story to prove that McCalman was better.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Interesting when you look at the ladder as we are half way through the season, the only team we have played that's not in the Top 8 on the Cheetahs, everyone else we have played is in the top half of the ladder.

Brumbies 2nd
Chiefs 3rd
Tahs 4th
Force 5th
Crusaders 6th
Highlanders 8th

Cheetahs 15th

Status
Not open for further replies.