• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
That's a big call by the Rebels, but probably the right one. Young JOC (James O'Connor) I think needs a lesson in humility and this might just be the thing that gets the message across. We see it a lot in young professionals, especially in sport, where they are getting paid a lot of money and still seem to have developed an unhealthy sense of entitlement. I want this bloke to become the next Wallaby great, but unfortunately his behaviour over the last few years gives the more than faint suggestion that we might be lamenting a lost opportunity rather than lauding a glittering career in a few years time.

Time to grow up James.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
BH i agree.
for the sake of rugby in australia and JOC (James O'Connor) & KB (Kurtley Beale)'s, i want them to mature into first class players and people, become great legends in the game and lead the wobs to many victories over the darkness, BUT i am not so certain that its going to happen. prodigious talent going to waste is not a rarity in sport. they are still both very young boy/men and not to excuse them, have grown up in a cloistered, sycophantic environment of privilege. time for a few people to say no.

my hope is that like QC (Quade Cooper) (who i think has actually matured significantly since the events of last year) they can pull their heads in grow up and do the job that they have great aptitude for.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
It is especially telling that fans of every team don't want to lose him from Aus, but don't want him at their S15 team either.

I doubt JOC (James O'Connor) would come back to the Force after he was given the bums rush last time. I doubt his ego would allow it. It's pretty much Tahs or Reds now. My money would be Reds if Graham will have him. I really hope he doesn't go to the Tahs, I love what Cheika is doing there and don't want to see it jeopardised.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
He'd benefit from having Cheika as coach. There wouldn't be any room for arrogance or entitlement under his regime.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
The Nonu of Australian rugby. At least it seems that his aspirations to wear number 10 have been curbed. I am sure he is smart enough to realise he was outplayed each game and is maybe not the 10 he imagined himself to be. As others have said he is the most rounded of the amigos so would be great if he forgot et about his brand.

Edit: I'd be happy for the Reds to pick him up at a reasonable price on a 1 year contract and told any shit and he is out.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Given the talk of Beale leaving I thought we would keep JOC (James O'Connor). It hurts the Rebels to lose that amount of x factor. Although neither of them have been on the field a lot over the last couple of years.

The lack of a contract just shows something about his attitude and off field persona / behaviour.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
So if we lose both Kurtley and JOC (James O'Connor) that leaves some big holes in our back line. Any thing on the grape vine about any backs we are after.

At this stage the only backs we have recruited for next year are Kingston and Burgess. Our other recruits are all forwards eg Lahiff, Sexton, Fainga'a, Smith etc.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
So if we lose both Kurtley and JOC (James O'Connor) that leaves some big holes in our back line. Any thing on the grape vine about any backs we are after.

At this stage the only backs we have recruited for next year are Kingston and Burgess. Our other recruits are all forwards eg Lahiff, Sexton, Fainga'a, Smith etc.

I'm not sure I agree with you that we'd be leaving big holes out in the backline. When it counted (NSW game was a good example) that when we needed good defense we had some hard-hitting backs to cover us. Even without the two amigos we managed to hold for 18+ phases at the death knell, then force a turnover and win the match. I'd say the holes that were exposed earlier in the year (Sharks game...please how I hate talking about that match) have been addressed somewhat. We still have work to do, but we are heading in the right direction.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
You know when your Rugby Career is over when the Rebels Don't want you.
a bit harsh i feel

worn out his welcome more likely

according to this forum not many "mates" here at the rebs, precious few in the wobs also. with buddy and KB (Kurtley Beale) to sydney, diggers to france, james king to ?NZ, no more bros to hang with man

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fairfax reporting that the Rebels will be looking to hang onto Beale now they've set JOC (James O'Connor) free........

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Love how both articles angle different coaches. Frankly, the coach for next year is harder to pick than a broken nose.

The only thing I can think why they would want to keep Beale is the large amount of time they have invested in helping him through his troubles. I'd also question if NSW is the right place for someone to rehabilitate, considering the glass bubble Rugby players endure up there. I see from afar that KB (Kurtley Beale)'s personality is a little more malleable than JOCs and he might be able to converge into the Melbourne fold.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Why wouldn't the Rebels board want Hill to continue to build what he's started to put together this year?

Ken Wright

Frank Row (1)
Couldn't we swap O'Connor for Tapuai, even though (I think) he's got a year on his contract? Reds would get a future great inside centre. And Rebels would get a classy team player who has said he'd like to be here, and he likes playing outside KB (Kurtley Beale).

Status
Not open for further replies.