• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The guys who are no longer Australia qualified have sadly limited their Super Rugby careers in Australia - they will have to head overseas after their current contract or after 2 years.

Incorrect. If they make their international debut for another country when they are already signed as Australians, then they are still classified as Aussies for contract purposes and can stay as long as they like

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Incorrect. If they make their international debut for another country when they are already signed as Australians, then they are still classified as Aussies for contract purposes and can stay as long as they like

How far does this extend?

Can we sign Eddie/Alex to a new contract and still have them classified as Australians? Does the new contract have to be an extension of the older one? Can another franchise sign them as aussies?

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Really? Wasnt there a big thing when Bynes played fir russia in th rwc then had to be moved to a marquee spot and then ended up going north

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Would like to know. It would be terrible to loose good quality off shore.
How does it work in NZ with their Pacfic Island players?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I would suggest that any Super Rugby contract in Australia commits the player to playing for Australia unless (1) they are a marquee player or (2) I guess a development player).

Any player signed to a Super Rugby contract under the first element above, who then plays for another country (as Jerry Y did at the Brumbies) would then be re-classified as a marquee. Now if that super rugby team has a marquee spot available, then well and good, but if not then they would be have to moved along I suspect. I think the Rebels have buckets of marquee spots available so these guys seem safe.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I would suggest that any Super Rugby contract in Australia commits the player to playing for Australia unless (1) they are a marquee player or (2) I guess a development player).

Any player signed to a Super Rugby contract under the first element above, who then plays for another country (as Jerry Y did at the Brumbies) would then be re-classified as a marquee. Now if that super rugby team has a marquee spot available, then well and good, but if not then they would be have to moved along I suspect. I think the Rebels have buckets of marquee spots available so these guys seem safe.

So are they the rules the ARU has set?
I don't know how it works in NZ, can anyone answer my question about their super players who have games with one of the pacific island teams.

I'd much rather see the pacific island players being able to pick up contracts in the Southern Hemisphere comp rather than seeing them go to the Northern.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
So are they the rules the ARU has set?
I don't know how it works in NZ, can anyone answer my question about their super players who have games with one of the pacific island teams.

I'd much rather see the pacific island players being able to pick up contracts in the Southern Hemisphere comp rather than seeing them go to the Northern.

AFAIK, these rules are totally within the power of each union to set. The ARU has set its own rules, the NZRU has different rules. I would be pretty sure that Pacific Island reps are okay for the New Zealand Soup franchises. They have certainly had quite a few of them, over the years.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
AFAIK, these rules are totally within the power of each union to set. The ARU has set its own rules, the NZRU has different rules. I would be pretty sure that Pacific Island reps are okay for the New Zealand Soup franchises. They have certainly had quite a few of them, over the years.
Cheers, well if works for them why not keep our playing strengths and depth stronger by allowing them to stay here and earn a living.
They are clearly different to Marquee players as they have developed their rugby in Australia.
IMO the only provinces that should be allowed marquee players are Rebs, and Force.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Dave, it is obviously a bit of a balancing act for the ARU. On the one hand, the whole point of having five franchises is to develop more depth in our player strength, players who play locally and so are qualified for the Wallabies - however, we do need some imports, because we are just do not have the depth yet. Perhaps preference should be given to Pacific Islanders, that would actually make a lot of sense.

Frankly, it looks to me as though the Pac Islands are losing interest in rugby, and that would be a dreadful thing for the future of the game.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Dave, it is obviously a bit of a balancing act for the ARU. On the one hand, the whole point of having five franchises is to develop more depth in our player strength, players who play locally and so are qualified for the Wallabies - however, we do need some imports, because we are just do not have the depth yet. Perhaps preference should be given to Pacific Islanders, that would actually make a lot of sense.

Frankly, it looks to me as though the Pac Islands are losing interest in rugby, and that would be a dreadful thing for the future of the game.

Agree on what you said, and maybe the ARU rule shouldn't include the Pac Islanders. We've had some great players come through there, Willieo, Smith, Kefu (x2), Kuindrani, Speight, Illie Tabua, and no doubt many others. Some may say the AB's are 4 nations??

Possibly something to look at, keeping that door open.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Me, waiting till after next weekend to put money on the table. Spring racing is taking priority at the moment, but will be paying up straight after to make sure i get my same seat.

So spring racing taking priority was the right call, Stakes day has paid for my membership. All sorted now.

Also ran into Jordy Reid, Neville and Sexton. Had a good chat with the three of them.

Neville is working really hard to become the best lock he can be, even though he had a quiet season in a lot of our views he admits he improved in a lot of areas and is working on com-binding the 2 season form into a massive year.

They all praised Max Lahiff saying he is going to have a big impact.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think we will have a very good pack next year.

smith/lahiff
horie/sexton/leafa
weekes/PAE
in the front row

neville and pyle

higginbotham, jones, fuglistaller/faainga
with reid,timani as back up

possibly as good as any aus franchise

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
i think we will have a very good pack next year.

smith/lahiff
horie/sexton/leafa
weekes/PAE
in the front row

neville and pyle

higginbotham, jones, fuglistaller/faainga
with reid,timani as back up

possibly as good as any aus franchise

Now this could be famous last words, but it sure is interesting that this year we could go from being statistically one of the worst scrums in Super rugby to being in the top 50%.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Not if Weekes is your regular starter.
i think thats a bit harsh.
until he injured his shoulder in late 2012 he was one of the most consistent and better THP's in the super comp. the first half of last year he was still coming good. i thought he scrummaged well most of this year. it will be interesting to see how much PAE has come on after his ITM stint

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
So last I checked we still had 2 spots open in our squad, is that right? So with West and Timani now confirmed as not Rebels that must mean the pickings are pretty slim now.

Agree with the sentiment that our forwards will be strongest line up we've fielded yet, at least on paper. However there are quality concerns at 2, 3 and little depth if one our starting locks goes. I know Jones can cover lock but I'd love to see him make 6 his own.

Backs look OK too, 9, 12, 13, 15 are solid and whichever wing Kingston ends up on. Some concerns about quality and depth at 10 though. Hopefully Hegarty puts on some kegs during pre-season.

tony kennedy

Bob McCowan (2)
Ben Matwijow and Rohan Saifoloi lock and 10, bring on young aussies. Don't fill spots with saffers who will only maybe make the 23 Like the Force and Brumbies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Ben Matwijow and Rohan Saifoloi lock and 10, bring on young aussies. Don't fill spots with saffers who will only maybe make the 23 Like the Force and Brumbies.

You're not wrong but if the Rebels wanted these guys they'd probably be in the EPS.

I think they're going foreign because there's few or no local options worthy of a full squad contract.

The 10 needs to be either good or simply experianced, the lock only needs to be okay but will probably be an established professional (as he's getting a full contract).

Status
Not open for further replies.