• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Word out of the camp is that boys are being smashed at training. 2 weeks of solid full contact drills.

Tony hasn't been impressed with the last few results and the boys are being punished.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's to be expected. The interview with Weeks about his Wallaby selection had a couple gem insights into Tony's techniques for getting improvements out of his players.

They're best described as public performance critiques. It sounds like he's put the fear of god into them.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tony is not a normal coach by 2014 standards, he's an authoritarian. Old school as.

There's a lot to like about these signings, I think it probably means Ellison is off which means we'll see Harris at 12 and Mitch at 13.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Tony is not a normal a crap coach by 2014 standards, he's an authoritarian. Old school as.

There's a lot to like about these signings, I think it probably means Ellison is off which means we'll see Harris at 12 and Mitch at 13.
Fixed, really wish Tony was not going to be around next season. To many years of watching him fail now. Don't care what his CV says, he has never made it as a seniors coach. Even as a Munster fan when they won the Pro12 it was only because they had no Heineken Cup to worry about.

He does not know the first thing about attacking rugby, you can say the defense has improved but at the end of the day we are in a worse place than last season and no one is calling for his head.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i am also still not the sold on TT. some things, are better, probably the defence (but statistically not that much, giving up 27 this year as compared to 35 points per game last year) ; off field cohesion and "clubmanship" seem to have also improved.
but we have lost one of our most experienced forwards in Pyle, who has gone from potential wallaby and rebels leadership group to bench, some of the selections and game management have had that WTF feel, and still no acknowledgement publicly that the game 2 fiasco in Perth was a mistake. the attack has gone from second best to second worst. falling crowd figures don't lie.
I will await the final three games before fully judging the season as a disaster, and I think we are stuck with tony for another 12 months. I just hope its not a fatal stagnation in the Rebels development

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'd like to see the South African tour happen earlier in the season in 2015.

Finishing another disappointing year with the tougher of the two overseas trips is a big ask. I'd much prefer us coming home and finishing the season at AAMI Park with as wet a sail as possible.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Fixed, really wish Tony was not going to be around next season. To many years of watching him fail now. Don't care what his CV says, he has never made it as a seniors coach. Even as a Munster fan when they won the Pro12 it was only because they had no Heineken Cup to worry about.

He does not know the first thing about attacking rugby, you can say the defense has improved but at the end of the day we are in a worse place than last season and no one is calling for his head.

Not sure we're in a worse place exactly. Just a different, equally bad, place.

The attack has been completely unacceptable this year. We've either the lowest, or second lowest, points scored in the entire competition. Pretty striking comparison to last year when I think the only team that scored more tries than us was the Tahs. And there's no real reason for the regression either. If McGahan can't coach an attack himself, then we need to get someone who can.

Our breakdown and setpiece work have improved this year, our defensive patterns too. But given the horrendously low base we were starting from I'm not sure how much can be read into that.

Not quite sure what I think about the recruits for next year. Reminds me a lot of an NFL team trying to surround a rookie quarterback with weapons. Given that, I think I'd like to see something like this -

Burgess
Hegarty
Kingston
Inman
English
Crawford
Placid

With our forwards we could really play a run and gun Chiefs brand of footy. Instead, we'll probably just go back to Shorks lite with Hegarty peeling off 20 metres with his cannon whenever we get our mitts on the ball.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
i am also still not the sold on TT. some things, are better, probably the defence (but statistically not that much, giving up 27 this year as compared to 35 points per game last year) ; off field cohesion and "clubmanship" seem to have also improved.
but we have lost one of our most experienced forwards in Pyle, who has gone from potential wallaby and rebels leadership group to bench, some of the selections and game management have had that WTF feel, and still no acknowledgement publicly that the game 2 fiasco in Perth was a mistake. the attack has gone from second best to second worst. falling crowd figures don't lie.
I will await the final three games before fully judging the season as a disaster, and I think we are stuck with tony for another 12 months. I just hope its not a fatal stagnation in the Rebels development

2013 5 wins with 9 bonus points in total.(4T, 5LB)
2104 4 wins with 5 bonus points (3 games to go) so even with two wins from the last 3 games he might not pass last season total points of 29 (37-8 for the byes) and will finish lower on the table.

If we come last in the Aussie conference TT should be gone, also not happy with the fact we lost all 4 games to NZ sides this year. Love or hate Hill he had a good record against the NZ teams at home.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Can't see Harris not starting next season, just for his goal kicking alone he has to be first picked in our back line, if this year is anything to go by TT does not plan on winning games by scoring more try's than the opposition.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
15. Crawford
14. Kingston
13. Inman
12. Harris
11. English
10. Hegarty
9. Burgess

21. Stirzaker
22. *
23. *

* Assorted backs

Can't say anything about the forwards till more signings, old or new are made.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
15. Crawford
14. Kingston
13. Inman
12. Harris
11. English
10. Hegarty
9. Burgess

21. Stirzaker
22. *
23. *

* Assorted backs

Can't say anything about the forwards till more signings, old or new are made.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

This I agree with, Placid has been a solid 15 at the U20 world cup but not outstanding. Gauging from other players this makes him EPS standard, no higher.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/rabodirect-rebels-sign-wallaby-back-dom-shipperley

Wallaby outside back Dom Shipperley has signed a two year contract with the RaboDirect Rebels. 2011 Super Rugby winner Shipperley has agreed a two year deal with the Club, and will join the Rebels at the conclusion of the 2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby competition.

Redcliffe-born Shipperley has made 43 Super Rugby appearances for the Queensland Reds, including nine so far this season, and has scored 13 Super Rugby tries.
Shipperley has also represented his country on three occasions at senior level, featuring for the Wallabies in the 2012 Rugby Championship, playing Rugby Sevens for Australia and playing four games for Australia U20s in 2011. Current Rebels Tom Kingston, Colby Fainga'a and Luke Jones were also members of that team, so Dom will be helped to settle in Melbourne by some familiar faces.

Deputy Van Halen

Larry Dwyer (12)
Shipperly is a good player, hopefully can get back to his 2012 form with some game time.

Fark we're raiding the reds this year. Their silence is bizarre and I'm not sure a sudden announcement of signing two expensive players of unknown value (on and off the field) is going to help their image.

He's another relatively big winger, I think Kingston will still be warming the pine on the reg in TT's regime. I wonder if schatz feels like a bit of game time at 6/8 down south too?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The only 2 teams to have announced anything are the Rebels and Brumbies this year. Rebels are mostly signing players from elsewhere and the Brumbies are mostly re-signing players.

Status
Not open for further replies.