• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
From this week's Dewar Shield Preview:
The Rebels halves combo of Ben Meehan and Angus Roberts return for Box Hill, and will be looking to spark a turnaround in fortunes for the Broncos, while former Brumby Tom Cox is available for House.

Apparently the bloke's an absolute athlete that was mostly hindered by injury. At 24, and with 6 Super rugby games, he's worth an EPS spot. Probably no more though thanks to our recent spate of signings.

Still, wonder what he's doing down here. And furthermore, what came of that John Uglia thing at
House a few weeks back?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lots of players play for Queensland.

tumblr_n3q74zSNA81r6haz9o1_250.png

(Couple of hours late I know, but I wanted to use it)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I really need to stop reading GG's crap, but i just cant help myself. This latest whisper:

- Expect an announcement soon from Melbourne Rebels concerning a new private equity agreement.

Now looking for a GG rehab centre.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I really need to stop reading GG's crap, but i just cant help myself. This latest whisper:

- Expect an announcement soon from Melbourne Rebels concerning a new private equity agreement.

.​
Now looking for a GG rehab centre.​

I read something about this the other day. Might have been in a Rugby Heaven article? It was actually about Bob Dwyer and his mates buying the 'Tahs and, almost as an aside, it briefly mentioned the ARU were talking to another private equity group about the Rebels.

I thought the Rebels were owned by the VRU and would be theirs to sell.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
no its true the ARU are looking for a private owner again.

the Melbourne Storm/Melbourne City (formerly Heart) are the prospective buyers

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Might be time to review and update the list, as we know it. Hack away, gents.

Confirmed
Cruze Ah-Nau, Prop
Laurie Weeks, Prop
Toby Smith, Prop
Max Lahiff, Prop
Paul Alo-Emile, Prop
Tom Sexton, Hooker
Pat Leafa, Hooker
Cadeyrn Neville, Lock
Luke Jones, Lock
Sean McMahon, Flanker
Scott Fuglistaller, Flanker
Colby Fainga'a, Flanker
Scott Higginbotham, No. 8
Lopeti Timani, No. 8
Nic Stirzaker, Scrumhalf
Luke Burgess, Scrumhalf
Jack Debreczeni, Flyhalf
Bryce Hegarty, Flyhalf
Tom English, Centre
Lachlan Mitchell, Centre
Mitch Inman, Centre
Mike Harris, Centre
Tom Kingston, Wing
Cam Crawford, Wing
Dom Shipperly, Wing
Telusa Veainu, Wing
Jonah Placid, Fullback

EPS
Ben Meehan, Scrumhalf
Jordy Reid, Flanker
Sam Jeffries, Lock
Steve Cummins, Lock

Unsure of status
Eddie Aholelei, Prop
Shota Horie, Hooker
Angus Roberts, Flyhalf
Male Sau, Centre
Lalakai Foketi, Centre
Tamati Ellison, Centre
Alex Rokobaro, Fullback

Exiting
Chris Thomson, Lock
Hugh Pyle, Lock
Jason Woodward, Fullback

Anyone know why/ how Cummins has been announced as EPS? They are not meant to be announced until September.

Ben Meehan has also resigned for 2 years. Unless they've decided who they're cutting I reckon they are way over subscribed. I smell something fishy ....

Particularly if it's ARU funding (as paid from clubs across Australia) it all. But something ain't quite right here.

T

Train Without a Station

27 Plus 4 EPS is within the allowances. That leaves 4 spots to fit in the 7 unconfirmed. But I also heard the foreign marquee is a 31st man so it's 5 spots.

3 of that list have been with them a couple of years and got minimal to no game time so will likely not be re-signed.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Eps can not be named / finalised until September though, as the ARU dictates. There's more to this.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
No, the private owners handed it back to the ARU.
The Rebels are now included in the ARU Balance Sheet & P & L.

I don't doubt that you're correct but this is what the Rebel's website has to say...

Whilst the Rebels were introduced to the competition as a privately-owned franchise, in June 2013 their foundation shareholders generously gifted their shares to the Victorian Rugby Union (VRU). With the Rebels now owned entirely by the entire Victorian Rugby community, resources were allocated from within the Rebels organisation which allowed further input into the VRU from Rebels staff under one umbrella, the Melbourne Rebels.

T

Train Without a Station

Reg, is this to prevent players being snapped up on EPS contracts and when other teams may want them for a full contract, thus it not being able to be finalized until full squads are?

Would an EPS signing then perhaps be subject to receiving another offer prior to this date?

Status
Not open for further replies.