• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Bloody good news. Love the wife comments "the baby is fine, go play rugby". Certainly helps with hooking depth. That would make is up to the 32, right?

I laughed when I read the wife's comment because it reminded me of that freaky Russian baby sister from Little Britain who says "Your baby is fine".

That is seriously good news though. He's been the best Hooker for the Rebels this season IMO. His throwing accuracy & work around the park has been very solid. Him & Leafa will get the best out of each other competing for the same spot.

As for
Debreczeni, correct me if I'm wrong but that was his first ever start last game wasn't it? I'd be prepared to give him a bit more time to prove himself than that.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
One good thing about our 2015 squad is that there are 27 players from our 2014 squad, which should provide stability and reduce the learning curve in the off season.

This is in stark contrast to 2014 where we had 21 players from our 2013 squad and 2013 where we had 20 players from our 2012 squad.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
So what happens with Dom does he stay with the Reds getting recovery or does he head down to Melbourne I'd assume the Rebels would take over his recovery ?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So what happens with Dom does he stay with the Reds getting recovery or does he head down to Melbourne I'd assume the Rebels would take over his recovery ?

With the Medicare issues around rugby, they can keep him for a couple more months haha.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep. The Reds will be looking after him until November I believe. They've brought in a homeopath specifically for him. And they're using leaches.

So don't worry. Doms in good hands. ;)

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One good thing about our 2015 squad is that there are 27 players from our 2014 squad, which should provide stability and reduce the learning curve in the off season.

This is in stark contrast to 2014 where we had 21 players from our 2013 squad and 2013 where we had 20 players from our 2012 squad.
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic?
Thought you guys lost one or two you need to keep,and re signed 1/2 dozen that needed to be shot.
Where are you on the ladder again?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic?
Thought you guys lost one or two you need to keep,and re signed 1/2 dozen that needed to be shot.
Where are you on the ladder again?
Consistency is the name of the game. A turnover of about 25% a year (3/4 * 36= 27) is pretty much bang on for mine.

Apart from Woody and Pyle, there were no losses that hurt too badly. And it's a nice change from almost half the squad in the 3 previous seasons.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
...If you are happy to wins 4 games a year consistently,then that's an A grade plan.

There's not a massive correlation between player turnover and improving performance in Aus Super Rugby. The Reds' improvement a few years back was with largely the same players as the previous year (though some in more or less senior roles), same goes with the Force this year and the Tahs last year.

The exception of course is the Brumbies, but they coincided with White and a whole lot of other changes, so who knows.

Point being maybe a XV or even 23 shuffle is needed, but the jury is out on if moving a lot of guys on is the way to go.

T

Train Without a Station

Waratahs this year have had the following players come in:

Lance
Potgeiter
Beale
Alofa Alofa
Phipps

4 of them are in the starting team alone.

The point being generally, that if you want to improve you need to improve your roster. This may not be the case with an underperforming roster, but what evidence has suggested that the Rebels players are underperforming? Perhaps you could say that Higgers hasn't reached his 2012 form, Burgess his 2009-2011 form and potentially Fainga'a his previous form. Otherwise there's no historical form to suggest they are any better than they have shown.

Not saying that's certainly correct, just saying what evidence there is, or isn't rather.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)

Lance
Potgeiter
Beale
Alofa Alofa
Phipps

The point being generally, that if you want to improve you need to improve your roster. This may not be the case with an underperforming roster, but what evidence has suggested that the Rebels players are underperforming? Perhaps you could say that Higgers hasn't reached his 2012 form, Burgess his 2009-2011 form and potentially Fainga'a his previous form. Otherwise there's no historical form to suggest they are any better than they have shown.

Not saying that's certainly correct, just saying what evidence there is, or isn't rather.

Except you also need to consider the age of some of the players. Of the starting team this weekend, Smith is 25, Jones is 23, Fainga is 23, Inman is 25, Debreczeni is 21, Hegarty is 21 and Kingston is 23. They still are developing as players.

Added for next year in the starting team would be Harris with possibly Crawford and/or Shipperly. Even with the loss of Woodward and Pyle, the team should clearly be stronger than the current year and we would expect a better performance. Which isn't hard given this year.

T

Train Without a Station

Players aren't necessarily going to get better as they get older. To just assume improvement would be foolish. A number of players have peaked very early in their careers to never be seen again. How are Josh Holmes, Josh Valentine, Matt Henjak and Patrick Phibbs going these days?

Mitch Inman is a perfect example. He has been playing professionally for something like 5 years. Would you consider he played his best this year? If not, what evidence is there to suggest he has the ability to play any better? Behind blind belief of improvement anyway.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Player turnover and recruitment needs to have purpose behind it or it is pointless. The Tahs were able to recruit really well in the positions they were lacking this season.

The Rebels have a mix of both. They've lost a couple of players they'd have preferred to keep (Pyle and Woodward) but they've made some clear upgrades bringing in Harris, Crawford, Shipperley etc. and losing Roberts and Mitchell.

They've got a young roster and they need to invest in those guys. There's no point getting rid of a lot of them after a bad season only to replace them with younger even less experienced players.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Lance
Potgeiter
Beale
Alofa Alofa
Phipps

Except their unswing in form happened last year when there wasn't all this change, before these blokes came in.

Except Alofa of course, who was in the system in 2013 but didn't have a contract.

T

Train Without a Station

BH, my point was more in agreement with ILTW, that stability isn't a great thing if your performance isn't great.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, my point was more in agreement with ILTW, that stability isn't a great thing if your performance isn't great.

Over a longer term I'd definitely agree, but the Rebels have very much turned over their roster in recent years.

They surely need some stability to work on what they've got.

I don't think there are any struggling teams have had mass changes each year and then suddenly done well.

There has to be some stability before you'll see improvement I think. Otherwise it becomes much harder to target your recruitment to get incremental increases.

Status
Not open for further replies.