• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

daz

Just FYI, I thought that the pre-game announcers did a pretty good job.

My horror that we had an ex-AFL footballer as a match day host was proven unfounded; Nathan had clearly done his homework and he was a good foil for the other lad. Even the girl doing the tee-shirt/ball give-aways and halftime kicking was reasonably tolerable.

By my count, there were only two attempts to get the crowd going, which was far better than every other game last year, when it was chanted every 3 seconds. By and large, the crowd did a great job without any prodding as usual.

And the Japanese drumming was a huge improvement on the old drumline.

Only real complaint was the sound distortion. Someone needs to do a sound check before the game.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
@Daz, agree wholeheartedly, thought the crowd and atmosphere were great. nearly 13k was much more than i expected. also thought the newbie spruikers did a good job first up.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
They might need to find a bigger gun to shoot t-shirts at the ground, but I found the atmosphere and MC roles to be much better. Might have something to do with my revised seating location too :)

D

daz

@Daz, agree wholeheartedly, thought the crowd and atmosphere were great. nearly 13k was much more than i expected. also thought the newbie spruikers did a good job first up.

But the crowd noise sounded more like double that. Excellent acoustics at the bubble as well as a crowd that was clearly up for it.

Just goes to show; ask us to "get behind our Melbourne Rebels" and we will almost always default to silence to spite the announcer!

Keep the microphone off and we can more than look after ourselves.

;)

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Keep the microphone off and we can more than look after ourselves.

;)

Couldn't agree more, how good is having a Saturday game early in the season before the AFL and NRL season started. They should really be pushing for a big crowd this weekend.

Hoping Harris is available.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
It's disappointing that playmaker Hegarty seems to have slipped down the pecking order behind the kid with the big boot. Such conservatism is not a good sign from the coach, IMO. Running rugby puts bums on seats and grows the game.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
At least give him half an hour off the bench, seems we are not using our bench to full effect. The last 10 minutes cost us on Friday night.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
It's disappointing that playmaker Hegarty seems to have slipped down the pecking order behind the kid with the big boot. Such conservatism is not a good sign from the coach, IMO. Running rugby puts bums on seats and grows the game.

It's not that simple. Debreczeni is an unusual Australian 10 in that he's a running/kicking flyhalf who has a decent short-passing game but not much more than that. He's every bit as much a running player as Hegarty, if not more so. McGahan also clearly wants to play territory, and Hegarty has a boot that could charitably be described as popgun. Where Debreczeni has struggled has been leading the team around the park when he's called on to really run the show when we get into phase play. He's taken a couple of head bangs recently which is a bit concerning. Wouldn't want him damaged or getting gun-shy like Barnes and kicking at every opportunity.

And we really just haven't had much success with Hegarty. He's a tough little bastard and a fun player to watch, but the ceiling on Debreczeni looks to be quite a bit higher.

The Rising, with Debreczeni at flyhalf, ran from pretty much everywhere in the NRC so he can do it. But then defences at that level will allow a team to do that. We're not going to see a team like the 03 Blues in the Soup again I don't think, at least not for a good long while. Even super attacking teams like the Tahs, Chiefs, and Cheetahs mix it up with some pretty astute kicking.

tl;dr Debreckzeni is pretty good, if unusual, and fits what McGahan wants better than Hegarty.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I wouldn't call JD purely a kicking flyhalf on account of his boot. The amount of NRC tries created and scored because of him taking on the line were impressive for 2nd year pro.

Agree with Daz about the game announcers and music. Turn the volume down next week and they'll be close to a good balance.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Did Harris go off with concussion? If so, is it likely he will be rested this week? Will be a huge loss if he isn't playing. I really thought he was the best organiser in the Rebels' backline by quite a way.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Did Harris go off with concussion? If so, is it likely he will be rested this week? Will be a huge loss if he isn't playing. I really thought he was the best organiser in the Rebels' backline by quite a way.

We just have no idea. Different players react to concussions in different ways. Not sure who would come in though. Plenty of options - Hegarty, Placid, Crawford and Veainu could all do a job.

On replay English is going to have to lift or he'll get dropped. Did absolutely nothing. Shipperly didn't do a whole lot either in fairness.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
We just have no idea. Different players react to concussions in different ways. Not sure who would come in though. Plenty of options - Hegarty, Placid, Crawford and Veainu could all do a job.

On replay English is going to have to lift or he'll get dropped. Did absolutely nothing. Shipperly didn't do a whole lot either in fairness.

Shipperly did more than English. He was involved in that try saver on Horne. Meanwhile Tom only had one run of note and his opposite scored two tries. Not saying hook him yet, but TT needs to deliver a rocket up him. Also, Fa'ainga needs to rotate with Fugs - seemed like all his contact in attack didn't make advantage and didn't do a whole lot at the breakdown.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Harris came back on. Think he'll be fine.

Think he stayed on until the medicos dragged him to perform the test, around the 70mim mark. Same time as Meehan came on. In the washup this was the things that killed our momentum.

Mikey mike probably stayed off as a precaution and with only 10mim to it might have been sub time. For Me he looked fine to throw that cutout pass that put Sefa over but as Dumbledore points out every body will react different. Thankfully Dennis's aim was shit enough to miss his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.