• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Think Inagaki and Horie will be picked by the Sunwolves. Surprised to see Tanaka still on the Highlanders list for 2016, thought he may have gone home to try his luck with the Sunwolves. Guess it's difficult to leave a championship squad like that.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think there's some conflict between the Sunwolves, the JRFU and the Top League clubs that seems to be encouraging players already signed for Super Clubs and playing when fit to re-sign.

Would be happy for as many as possible of the RWC squad to join them though.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Watching the 2011 semi final at the Turf Bar was probably the most hostile experience of my sporting life. It's definitely the breeding ground of my contempt for most things related to Kiwi rugby.

All Rebels fans with memberships must take ownership of that bar

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So seems like the Rebels are making a big announcement tomorrow. With the fairly obvious reference to the missing "RaboDirect" on the front, I'm taking a stab and guessing that they are unveiling a new major sponsor tomorrow.

rebels-no-rabodirect.jpeg

Let the speculation game begin....GO.

rovers

Frank Row (1)
Yes Sione and someone straight out of school boys. His name is Pati from Northern. Not Ferti. It would be awesome if he got one as well.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yes Sione and someone straight out of school boys. His name is Pati from Northern. Not Ferti. It would be awesome if he got one as well.
Good feeling that it's Pati Leota. Just finished school this year, backrower/lock. Incredible player with blistering pace.

Also congratulations Sione, that's brilliant.

Edit: Sorry, Pati is also called Robert.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
A bit disappointed for Toby and McMahon missing out on the final but thems the breaks. A few positions will be blown open as of Sunday and they're right in the mix.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Great news. Hopefully they can earn some game time and help solidify the pathways for other young blokes.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
A bit disappointed for Toby and McMahon missing out on the final but thems the breaks. A few positions will be blown open as of Sunday and they're right in the mix.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

I thought McMahon would get a bench spot ahead of McCalman for sure.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Great to see us go from having 1 sort of Victorian in Sefa, to 3 bona fide Vics in Siliva, Sione and Rob.

Perhaps optimistic, but if maybe a 1/3 of the squad was Victorian by 2020, that would be great. For all their on field issues, the Force have done very well getting their locals up and running, hopefully we can do the same.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Great to see us go from having 1 sort of Victorian in Sefa, to 3 bona fide Vics in Siliva, Sione and Rob.

Perhaps optimistic, but if maybe a 1/3 of the squad was Victorian by 2020, that would be great. For all their on field issues, the Force have done very well getting their locals up and running, hopefully we can do the same.

A couple more and Bill Lawry will become your most vocal supporter!

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

given the playing numbers throughout Australia, 1/3 is very optimistic. if victorian juniors only make up say 10% (i have no idea of the actual number) then anything more than 10% of the professional playing population Australia wide is a great achievement. i would hope that by 2020 the Rebels have 10 -15 % home grown on their books and at least 4 -5 as regular starters. the real big plus is that now local talent doesn't by necessity have to go interstate or overseas to do the pro apprenticeship.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
1/3 is 10-12.

If we signed 2 a year that'd be 11, 12 if you include Sefa.

Still, 1 a year would get us to 7, thats about 1/5th of the squad I'd be happy with that too.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
1/3 is 10-12.

If we signed 2 a year that'd be 11, 12 if you include Sefa.

Still, 1 a year would get us to 7, thats about 1/5th of the squad I'd be happy with that too.
OK, clearly math is not one of my strengths. i agree that one a year is perhaps realistic.
there currently appears to be, two or three other very strong candidates coming through the junior ranks also.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The more Vics the better - as long as they are picked on merit rather than just because they're local boys. Sione has looked really good in the NRC and it seems that Leota is rated highly so, great stuff! Hopefully the first of many more signings in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.