• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Some of us are being a bit too negative about the draw I reckon.

It would be better if the second bye came after the Saffa tour for sure but, it is what it is.

If we are going to be fair dinkum finals contenders next year then we need to beat the Blues, 'Tahs and Ponies, all home games. Pick up an unexpected win in one of the other three games and we could be 4/6; hopefully the Canes turn up "fat and lazy" again.

It's OK to be ridiculously optimistic five months before the season starts :)

There'll be plenty of time for sadness later.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It's gonna be exactly the same thing as this year. Only the top Aussie team will get through, unless the performances against the New Zealand sides improve dramatically.

The New Zealand teams all finished 11 and 4, with between 6 and 9 bonus points. Brumbies finished 10 and 5 with 3.

We need to win all our Australian Conference games. And we need to beat the Kings. And we need to beat the Blues. That gives 8 wins.

We then would need to win at least 2 games, plus any catch up losses from the following:

Canes (a)
Chiefs (h)
Highlanders (a)
Sharks (a)
Lions (h)
Crusaders (h)
Jaguares (h)

And 3 of those are in our first 5 games. Tough, not impossible and just what we need to prove we are a genuine playoffs quality side.

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Still think we need another fly half or fullback to replace Harris and really get us up there. Ben Lucas is still my favourite option, but even Sam Greene would do IMO. He looked hard done by under the Reds.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
It's gonna be exactly the same thing as this year. Only the top Aussie team will get through, unless the performances against the New Zealand sides improve dramatically.

The New Zealand teams all finished 11 and 4, with between 6 and 9 bonus points. Brumbies finished 10 and 5 with 3.

We need to win all our Australian Conference games. And we need to beat the Kings. And we need to beat the Blues. That gives 8 wins.

We then would need to win at least 2 games, plus any catch up losses from the following:

Canes (a)
Chiefs (h)
Highlanders (a)
Sharks (a)
Lions (h)
Crusaders (h)
Jaguares (h)

And 3 of those are in our first 5 games. Tough, not impossible and just what we need to prove we are a genuine playoffs quality side.
Agree. 10 wins has got to be the minimum, with a fist full of bonus points. The only way to be sure of a finals spot is to top the conference.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Still think we need another fly half or fullback to replace Harris and really get us up there. Ben Lucas is still my favourite option, but even Sam Greene would do IMO. He looked hard done by under the Reds.

I have heard that Lucas is on the radar, as well as Shane Geraghty (London Irish). Good to see Dan Hawkins back playing for Northland in the ITM; hope we don't regret letting him go. Would also still love to have Bryce Hegarty up our sleeve.

Fullback and flyhalf are really the only areas we're lacking heading into 2017.

I really like the look of Tom Banks (QLD Country FB) and would love to see him get a chance. Has a big body and is good to go rather than a development product.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Geraghty? He wouldn't be the worst option, particularly when you consider how Delve performed, but when he's being kept out by Tonks and Bell, a pair of genuine Journeymen, have to wonder whether keeping local would be better.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I have heard that Lucas is on the radar, as well as Shane Geraghty (London Irish). Good to see Dan Hawkins back playing for Northland in the ITM; hope we don't regret letting him go. Would also still love to have Bryce Hegarty up our sleeve.

Fullback and flyhalf are really the only areas we're lacking heading into 2017.

I really like the look of Tom Banks (QLD Country FB) and would love to see him get a chance. Has a big body and is good to go rather than a development product.
Lucas would be a good get and Banks has looked really good in the NRC. I don't know much about Geraghty but he must be about 50 by now. Wasn't he playing for the poms like 10 years ago?

Hegarty, Hawkins and Crawford - sigh :oops:

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Lucas would be a good get and Banks has looked really good in the NRC. I don't know much about Geraghty but he must be about 50 by now. Wasn't he playing for the poms like 10 years ago?

Hegarty, Hawkins and Crawford - sigh :oops:

Hawkins probably isn't off the table yet? Though if he WAS a chance to re-sign, you'd say he'd hang around for 'Aussie qualification' reasons (unless he's got a parental link to Aus?).

I'd love to see us get a bloke like Sam Greene, though he is a bit green (pun!). We probably could grab him post-Japanese season.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Hegarty re-signed with the Tahs.

Shane Geraghty is a waste of time and space now, 34 and not playing well enough to be given a last chance.

I think letting Hawkins go was a mistake, he looked good in his limited game time before injury. Only issue is his probably to small for TT game plans.

Could always move Hodge to 10 and play Debs at 15 if BM does not work out at 10.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only issue is his probably to small for TT game plans.

TT does like talking about 'physics' when he talks about rugby.

Whilst there's plenty of merit in that argument, I think this style of football gets discovered after a while. Warren Gatland obviously found that.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This bloke looks like a matchup nightmare! Who do teams mark up on him with? He's faster than all of them, bigger than 90% of them and can lay on a bloody impressive hit.

Tell me he doesn't look like the perfect non-kicking winger?

His weight is about 90 kgs not that big for a winger

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.