• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
I rate Colby, thought he was going to be the next big 7 whilst he was at the Brumbies. He was favoured ahead of Hooper back then too, few injuries set him back (as well as being behind G.Smith and Poey) and for some reason hasn't seemed to excel at the Rebels.

Hope he can get some solid game-time next year.
? He won the Rebels player of the year a couple of seasons ago I'm pretty sure. He's been consistently excellent on a per-game basis. Not overtly physical in the way that McMahon and Reid are, but a better footballer than either of them IMO.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
? He won the Rebels player of the year a couple of seasons ago I'm pretty sure. He's been consistently excellent on a per-game basis. Not overtly physical in the way that McMahon and Reid are, but a better footballer than either of them IMO.

I just don't see that. I've heard people talk so favourably about him, but whenever I watch the Rebels he always seems to be a good, but not remarkable player that has occasional flashes of brilliance.

McMahon and Reid seem to be significantly better in my opinion. More physical and with more frequent moments of 'brilliance'.

Either way, with Reid or Colby at 7 you won't be let down.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
2017 draw is out. 2 game saffa tour. We play the Reds and Force only once. We could break our SA duck against the Kings.

81b05d069644bf85a357ada33513a537.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Those Byes are waaaaay to early.

Don't mind otherwise. Force away and Reds home are more likely to produce a pair of wins than vice versa. Kings away, and Jaguares at home after the Outbound tours is potentially another couple of wins.

Plus Blues, Saders and Chiefs should provide a boost in crowds, given the domestic Kiwis turn up much more than the other states travel.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Not a bad looking draw all-in-all. The Saffa tour could very well break the SA duck, but I'm not getting my hopes up yet. I still haven't got over the Kings beating us in 2013 with that drop kick...

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
That start is an absolute buzzsaw. I wouldn't be surprised if we were 0-6, both byes down, after 8 weeks. Having both byes that early is jokeshop stuff, totally insane.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Hope they plan on serving Guinness at the Chiefs game. Who the hell plays rugby on St Patrick's Day ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That start is an absolute buzzsaw. I wouldn't be surprised if we were 0-6, both byes down, after 8 weeks. Having both byes that early is jokeshop stuff, totally insane.

Having early byes can help. Remember that the international window in June is a de facto bye, so you've got byes at rounds 3, 7 and 14.

That is an excruciatingly tough early draw. I expect you'll be 0 and 5 with the Brumbies game your first win. If you win 3 from 5 then you'll be playing well enough to make the finals.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Having early byes can help. Remember that the international window in June is a de facto bye, so you've got byes at rounds 3, 7 and 14.

That is an excruciatingly tough early draw. I expect you'll be 0 and 5 with the Brumbies game your first win. If you win 3 from 5 then you'll be playing well enough to make the finals.
Sure, but there's no way to get into any rhythm early this way - especially since we'll be getting dicked every single week. Obviously you have to play them at some point, but balance and scheduling do make a huge difference. Totally agree on 0-5, mayybe 1-4. Very hard to come back from that to make finals, almost impossible.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
If can manage to win 2 of the first 5 we than have a good shot. 7 or 8 wins from the remaining 10 should be achievable.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If can manage to win 2 of the first 5 we than have a good shot. 7 or 8 wins from the remaining 10 should be achievable.
Hopefully we have a much fitter, injury-free squad at the start of the season. I think it's better to play those games at the start, not the end of the season. Remember, we beat the Crusaders in round 1 in 2015 and then at end of the 2016 season... well, you know...

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It's true that the NZ sides seem to get better as the season progresses. Recall the hiding the Brumbies also gave the Hurricanes in Round 1 this year. And who won the comp?

But if the Rebels can achieve 7 or 8 wins from the last 10 games, they will have well and truly earned a spot in the finals.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully we have a much fitter, injury-free squad at the start of the season. I think it's better to play those games at the start, not the end of the season. Remember, we beat the Crusaders in round 1 in 2015 and then at end of the 2016 season. well, you know.

Round 12, 2012. Was in May as well.

N

NTT

Geez, the Rebels got the spiky end of the pineapple with that draw. Thats the kind of start the Force usually get. As we see with the Force, the season could be over for the Rebels after 6 rounds, kinda like what usually happens to the Force early each season.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Round 12, 2012. Was in May as well.

I would have expected Rebels fans to have expunged Round 12 from the memory banks forever, just like we Waratah fans have forgotten a bunch of black and red bastards putting 96 points on us all those years ago.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I would have expected Rebels fans to have expunged Round 12 from the memory banks forever, just like we Waratah fans have forgotten a bunch of black and red bastards putting 96 points on us all those years ago.
No Hawko, this was a good one - we beat the Saders 28-19 in 2012... then went on to lose 66-26 to the Hurricanes in Wellington 2 weeks later. Sigh.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
No Hawko, this was a good one - we beat the Saders 28-19 in 2012. then went on to lose 66-26 to the Hurricanes in Wellington 2 weeks later. Sigh.

Due to my Beer consumption that evening, my memory is a little hazy. I do recall Phipps, then Stirlo scoring Tries within a few minutes up at the northern end. Like most Rebels fans, I completely lost my shit after that win.

Status
Not open for further replies.