• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Dan is more than happy with his annual 5 and a half month holiday!

You'd say so, but the right pitch could maybe swing it.

We really are in a situation right now, I think we only have 3 fit locks if you count Jefferies (who is a week-to-week injury proposition) and Timani (who REALLY should play 8).

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
although hard to draw too much out of the tens, and i didn't watch all of all the games, the positives for me were Amanaki Mafi, Lomax, Reid, English, Maddox.
the bad, continued poor execution when under a bit of pressure and i think the Rebels are going to really struggle in the halves

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
although hard to draw too much out of the tens, and i didn't watch all of all the games, the positives for me were Amanaki Mafi, Lomax, Reid, English, Maddox.
the bad, continued poor execution when under a bit of pressure and i think the Rebels are going to really struggle in the halves

Volavola looked surprisingly fluid for mine. But like you said, hard to draw too much out of the tens.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ben looked smooth in motion but dropped a few sitters.

Jack 10, Ben 15 is my preferred combo at this stage, but Maddocks looks the goods, so could easily keep everyone else out of the fullback jersey.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hey, I'm not advocating Volavola to start at 10, or even 15. Just saying he out performed my expectations.

What's people's take on Garden-Bachop? A genuine goes or just another convenient ITM contract who can cover for injuries for a year?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Hey, I'm not advocating Volavola to start at 10, or even 15. Just saying he out performed my expectations.

What's people's take on Garden-Bachop? A genuine goes or just another convenient ITM contract who can cover for injuries for a year?
The reports from the first trial weren't too flattering. He looked alright in the 10s. We'll have a bit better idea tomorrow night after the Reds game as TT has him starting at 10. I wouldn't be surprised if JD, Volavola and Man Bun all get a run there tomorrow as well.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Ben looked smooth in motion but dropped a few sitters.

Jack 10, Ben 15 is my preferred combo at this stage, but Maddocks looks the goods, so could easily keep everyone else out of the fullback jersey.
I wouldn't mind JD starting at 15 but Maddocks looks like the long term option.

As for who should start at fly half - we could run a sweep.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Jack Maddocks was really good for the Rebels last night.

He could become an outstanding player and could easily have an impact on Super Rugby this year.

The forward pack were pretty strong in general play but the set piece was a bit of a debacle. It's interesting that Chibba Hanson has gone from being an unbelievably reliable lineout thrower when at the Reds to not being as accurate now. Maybe a big part of that is down to the lock problems the Rebels have.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the Rebels are really going to struggle i feel. two pretty big losses in the trials, lots of errors in the 10's, lots of injuries already to key personnel. a backrow of Mcmahon, Mafi and Timani is vastly different to Fa'inga, Schatz and Mafi, especially with the locks they currently have available. with luck JG-B will quickly grow into his role, he was really very good in the ITM last year.

i hope i'm wrong but i think this is going to be a long season. :(

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I thought Jack Maddocks was really good for the Rebels last night.

He could become an outstanding player and could easily have an impact on Super Rugby this year.

The forward pack were pretty strong in general play but the set piece was a bit of a debacle. It's interesting that Chibba Hanson has gone from being an unbelievably reliable lineout thrower when at the Reds to not being as accurate now. Maybe a big part of that is down to the lock problems the Rebels have.
Was quite impressed with Maddocks as well. Good to see a lot of pressure on JD for a starting spot.

I thought that last year, its not the hookers throwing thats our problem, it's the lask of quality locks. When you look at who we have lost in a few seasons, Jones, Pyle and Neville we could have had a really solid pack. Instead we have the weakest second row depth in the comp.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I feel like the Rebels season will likely look like 5 rounds of getting smacked by the Kiwis, then a big push to regain some success to finish 10-12th.

It is however early days.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I feel like the Rebels season will likely look like 5 rounds of getting smacked by the Kiwis, then a to regain some success to finish 10-12th.

It is however early days.
Will be over by 5 rounds with our fixture.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sadly the issue with the Rebs is unlike the Force (and potentially the Brumbies this year), we've never had a 'hard reset' moment, where you clean out the journeymen that never made it en masse, sign 1-2 really established players, 3-5 'almost there' guys, and then bring in a whole bunch of new guys without much hype that could be anything.

We're constantly in soft reset mode, which rarely creates success.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Will be over by 5 rounds with our fixture.

How's the motivational speaking tour going?

Remember how we won all three trial games in 2014 against the Waratahs, Hurricanes and Reds? Then we only won 3 matches in the competition, so you can't tell for sure. We'll see what happens, it definitely won't be easy, never is.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Who are the guys to clean out though?

It seems to me that the Rebels have a pretty decent squad but are sorely lacking in locks and don't have a quality fly half (which is a problem with a lack of options in Australia more than anything).

Nic Stirzacker needs to improve his form. He seems to have really gone off the boil and maybe Meehan should be the first choice this season.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
A few random thoughts from last night's trial.

With the amount of minutes TT gave JG-B in the trial you'd have to say that he's looking like being the starter next week.

Out of the guys we've got vying for the flyhalf position, I'm starting to think that whoever is the best goal kicker should probably start.

Maddocks plays well and is tough. He was smashed a few times and bounced straight back up.

Pretty impressed with Uelese. Has he usurped Pat as the bench hooker?

Retallick and Cummins are both decent in the line-out and general play but our scrum copped the worst pantsing ever. LT to second row and Schatz to 6 seems like the best option, at least short term.

*snip* Nic Stirzacker needs to improve his form. He seems to have really gone off the boil and maybe Meehan should be the first choice this season.
Yeah but, he's the captain so - #awkward

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A few random thoughts from last night's trial.

With the amount of minutes TT gave JG-B in the trial you'd have to say that he's looking like being the starter next week.

Out of the guys we've got vying for the flyhalf position, I'm starting to think that whoever is the best goal kicker should probably start.

Maddocks plays well and is tough. He was smashed a few times and bounced straight back up.

Pretty impressed with Uelese. Has he usurped Pat as the bench hooker?

Retallick and Cummins are both decent in the line-out and general play but our scrum copped the worst pantsing ever. LT to second row and Schatz to 6 seems like the best option, at least short term.

Yeah but, he's the captain so - #awkward
It such a wrong way to do it. They should pick the best team and then the captain(s) to go with it. Otherwise, the captain isn't going to give 100% if they think they will be picked anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.