• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seeing the good Aussie locks not playing for Aussie teams this week has really got me thinking.

Sam Wykes is starting for the Sunwolves, and Lucan Tui is not even in the Reds 23.

We could've done better recruitment wise.

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
Based on the 23 named this week, I'd say:

15. Jack Maddocks
14. Sefa Naivalu
13. Mitch Inman
12. Reece Hodge
11. Tom English
10. Jack Debreczeni
9. Ben Meehan (Stirzaker concussed)
8. Amanaki Mafi
7. Colby Fainga'a
6. Lopeti Timani (they had Mafi at 8 and Timani at 6 in the trials)
5. Steve Cummins
4. Sam Jefferies
3. Laurie Weeks
2. James Hanson
1. Cruze Ah-Nau

16. Pat Leafa
17. Tom Moloney
18. Tyrel Lomax
19. Culum Retallick
20. Jake Schatz
21. Mick Snowden
22. Sione Tuipulotu
23. Marika Koroibete

Things that could and will change this are:
  1. Injuries, obviously.
  2. If they decide to start Marika over English, or even push English back to 15? There's a lot of iterations they could go for, and some involve Debreczeni defending at 15 and attack at 10, which is fine.
  3. If they decide to continue that disdain for lineouts and put Reid on the bench instead of Shatz.

Koroibete will be starting very soon after coming back.

Think it will be a battle between English and Inman for the 13 jersey with the other on the bench.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah you dont spend that money on Koroibete to bench him.. He be wing soon and either Maddox out or English.. Can English kick ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Koroibete will be starting very soon after coming back.

Think it will be a battle between English and Inman for the 13 jersey with the other on the bench.

I think Sefa should be the 13, honestly. He has some punch and he defends at 13 for the Wallabies anyway.

This is personal opinion, but I'd look at 11. Koroibete, 13. Sefa, 14. English, 15. Maddocks.

Inman is still a handy player, but with all his injuries it would be a great service to him for him to play less minutes. I'm sure that later on in the season there'll be an injury that will require him to start again.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I'd be hesitant to move Jack D out of 15 after his last performance, even if Maddocks seems to be freakishly talented.

Maybe it was a freak performance but that kind of security under the high ball along with the size of his boot would make me think twice about moving him anywhere else right now - seemed to find his groove in a big way not having the pressure of playing at 10 on his shoulders.

T

TOCC

If you're starting Koroibete on wing you want someone experienced at fullback to provide that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
if he is fit i'd keep Debriczini at 15, thought he did well but could/should have been more involved. i'd start JGB again, i also thought he started well (goal kicks aside) but got flustered, as did all the Rebels, in the opening 30 of the second half. i'm not sold on Hodge at 12, he has a limited passing game for my liking, id play him at 13 and Tuipolutu at 12, Naivalu and English on the wings, which is not going to happen because Koroibete will be a starter, so English gets benched, which is tough on him because he was one of the better Rebels on Thursday night. Maddocks on the bench to get 20 to 30 every week to develop him further, not being used to the wing, he was caught out position on couple of occasions which led to two Blues tries in the second half. They certainly should persist with him.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think I can explain this enough times to make it make sense, but I will one last time.

JACK D CAN ATTACK AS THE 10 AND DEFEND AS A 15! This is not considered a complex or unusual strategy at a professional level.

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
I don't think I can explain this enough times to make it make sense, but I will one last time.

JACK D CAN ATTACK AS THE 10 AND DEFEND AS A 15! This is not considered a complex or unusual strategy at a professional level.

Is this to hide him in defence?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think you can bench English for Inman. He's an all round better player. Defence isn't as good as Inman which is his major strength but every other aspect is stronger.

Agree with Naivalu as a good option for 13, English to wing with Korobeite and Maddocks to the bench

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Is this to hide him in defence?

It's because people were talking about Jack D's excellent work under the high ball, which is fair I guess. His chat was also of a high standard.

Jack's a big man and while he doesn't dominate tackles he doesn't miss them.

The REAL value in having your 10 defend in the back 3 is
  1. He is in an excellent position to insert himself into first receiver off turn-over ball. Far better than if he was defending in the line.
  2. He avoids wear and tear of contact (a 15 or winger makes probably half the tackles). You want this guy to run your team, and he avoids a lot of fatigue through not having to mark up on the 12 (who is often very big).

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
It's because people were talking about Jack D's excellent work under the high ball, which is fair I guess. His chat was also of a high standard.

Jack's a big man and while he doesn't dominate tackles he doesn't miss them.

The REAL value in having your 10 defend in the back 3 is
  1. He is in an excellent position to insert himself into first receiver off turn-over ball. Far better than if he was defending in the line.
  2. He avoids wear and tear of contact (a 15 or winger makes probably half the tackles). You want this guy to run your team, and he avoids a lot of fatigue through not having to mark up on the 12 (who is often very big).

Fair enough, but if Debreczeni is playing 10 you have to have one of Maddocks or Volavola at 15 IMO - both of whom are great under the high ball, big kickers and ball players. I wouldn't really see the value in switching your 10 and 15 in attack/defence when they have similar attributes like that. If you had a fullback that can't kick like Placid then maybe.

Will certainly be interesting to see which way McGahan goes if we get a full deck of backs any time soon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Volavola was woeful i thought. Should not be anywhere near the 23 IMO
Agree. I remember a year ago people saying the Tahs were stupid letting him go and New Zealand knows how to do things better when the Crusaders signed him. Clearly he wasn't up to scratch there and was barely sighted before being let go again.

I just don't think he's up to it. He has flashes of brilliance but makes so many basic errors and poor decisions.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
physically he's not up to it. at his weight he simply cant compete, just got blown away at one breakdown. if you play him anywhere its at 10 in attack and hide him on a wing in defence

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
physically he's not up to it. at his weight he simply cant compete, just got blown away at one breakdown. if you play him anywhere its at 10 in attack and hide him on a wing in defence

I don't think it's a size thing, he is big enough for a 10/15. I just don't think he likes the physical side of footy.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
On the bright side we no longer have the biggest losing margin of Round 1 after the Hurricanes smashed the Sunwolves.

On the not so bright side we play the Hurricanes next week.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the bright side we no longer have the biggest losing margin of Round 1 after the Hurricanes smashed the Sunwolves.

On the not so bright side we play the Hurricanes next week.

Yeah, but they'll be rooted from all the travel!

#glasshalffull

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Yeah, but they'll be rooted from all the travel!

#glasshalffull

We hope they are. Still, they are professionals, so they should get over it fairly quickly.

Our advantage is the gap between games. If we were smart, we'd be over there right now in camp. I'm sure Coxy has a spare hotel in Wellington for all the players. The 'Canes won;y be back until late today, so much less time to recover.

#glasshalffull

Status
Not open for further replies.