• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
His CV has certainly taken a whack over the last fortnight. Hard to think of one area they have developed over their preseason. Wonder what they have been doing all summer?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
so since round 8 last year the Rebels have won 3 of 11, conceding 457 points at an average of 41 per game. in their last five games they have shipped 57 to the Stormers, 85 to the Crusaders, 28 to the Reds, 56 to the Blues and now 71 to the Canes. If they are to survive something really has to be done.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
On the evidence of the past two weeks, whatever it was didn't involve basic catch/pass skills or defence.

Hard to think of one area they have developed over their preseason. Wonder what they have been doing all summer?
i've watched a bit of training, they have actually worked very hard on fitness and basic skills. thought they looked pretty slick.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
so since round 8 last year the Rebels have won 3 of 11, conceding 457 points at an average of 41 per game. in their last five games they have shipped 57 to the Stormers, 85 to the Crusaders, 28 to the Reds, 56 to the Blues and now 71 to the Canes. If they are to survive something really has to be done.
What round did Stirzaker return to the starting team last year? Think it was about round 6 but really not till round 7 as he only lasted 20 min against the tahs

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Clyde

Stan Wickham (3)
Might see a few changes to the starting XV next game. A couple of guys who can make a difference I think but there may be some shuffling of deck chairs on the Titanic as well.

Can't see JGB and Debreczeni running out at 10 and 15 again.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Rebels worked hard on skills and introduced a number of new ideas in what looked to all observers like a very well-run preseason. Sadly, results are poor so far. There is time to turn it around, but turning HUGE losses into wins is not as realistic as turning close losses into wins so IDK if it's possible.

The answer here isn't simple, maybe it does involve new coaching leadership. I, for one, would like to see Zain Hilton given a shot, but others worth looking at are Matt O’Connor and maybe Tim Davidson even? Though Tim is a bit green, it would be a nice full circle recruitment.

Still, like I said, the answer here isn't that simple. The Rebels talent management needs to be rethought from the ground up. Buying guys a few years too young, and paying overs for mid-level developed talent just doesn't work.

We need to assume more risk with our signings and bring more ideas to them. We can't keep making the 'low upside, low downside' decisions. It just doesn't work when were trying to get talent to move away from home to Victoria.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Richard Graham is currently an assistant coach with Georgia.

Richard Graham would be an awful signing. The Rebels need to look forward and make ambitious decisions.

This whole 'low floor, low ceiling' decision making never bares fruit.

Reactions: dru

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Rebels worked hard on skills and have introduced a number of new ideas in what looked to all observers like a very well-run preseason. Sadly, results are poor so far. There is time to turn it around, but turning HUGE losses into wins is not as realistic as turning close losses into wins so IDK if it's possible.

The answer here isn't simple, maybe it does involve new coaching leadership. I, for one, would like to see Zain Hilton given a shot, but others worth looking at are Matt O’Connor and maybe Tim Davidson even? Though Tim is a bit green, it would be a nice full circle recruitment.

Still, like I said, the answer here isn't that simple. The Rebels talent management needs to be rethought from the ground up. Buying guys a few years too young, and paying overs for mid-level developed talent just doesn't work.

We need to assume more risk with our signings and bring more ideas to them. We can't keep making the 'low upside, low downside' decisions. It just doesn't work when were trying to get talent to move away from home to Victoria.
It HAS to involve new coaching leadership.
the style and recent results are a reflection of the head coach.
He has continually signed guys that no one else would,and is consistently wrong about whether they are up to this level.

If you want to grind the other mob down, you have to be physically dominant, and you need to have an extremely high percentage kicker.
His team has none of these features, so the results are highly predictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.