• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
So what would a Rebels team look like with some of the Force boys rolled in?

1. Smith
2. TPN
3. Lomax
4. Phillip
5. Coleman
6. McCalman
7. McMahon
8. Mafi
9. Stirzaker/Ruru
10. Lance
11. Koroibete
12. Hodge
13. English
14. Sefa
15. DHP

16. Hanson
17. Van Wyk
18. Ainsley
19. Timani
20. Fainga'a/Hardwick
21. Stirzaker/Ruru
22. Deborah/Volavola/Jackson-Bachop/Grant/Literally any other flyhalf
23. Shipperly

A half decent coach really, really, should be able to do something with that.

D

daz

Wonder if Link would be the international coach they mentioned. Having a highly credentialed Victorian coach the team would have an appeal to the Rebels. Not sure if it would for McKenzie though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like clockwork, every time an Oz team needs a coach, ol' Link gets a mention. I hate to break this to you, but unless something drastic has changed, Link is gone.

There is no Link.

B

BLR

1. Smith
2. TPN
3. Lomax
4. Phillip
5. Coleman
6. McCalman
7. McMahon
8. Mafi
9. Stirzaker/Ruru
10. Lance
11. Koroibete
12. Hodge
13. English
14. Sefa
15. DHP

16. Hanson
17. Van Wyk
18. Ainsley
19. Timani
20. Fainga'a/Hardwick
21. Stirzaker/Ruru
23. Shipperly

Okay, I will try to control my anger over posts like this and comment on my thoughts.

McCalman not playing 8 is interesting. With that English lad can you still keep Mafi on your books considering he is a Jap international?

No Louwrens for half back? I'd bugger Stirzaker off tbh.

Van Wyk is off to Europe or something so he isn't an option.

I don't think Grant will be playing much longer, he has family in Perth and even then it took us long enough to get him, I doubt he will move to Melbourne 'just cause'.

Too many Rebels players as a whole though. ;)

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Okay, I will try to control my anger over posts like this and comment on my thoughts.

McCalman not playing 8 is interesting. With that English lad can you still keep Mafi on your books considering he is a Jap international?

Van Wyk is off to Europe or something so he isn't an option.

I don't think Grant will be playing much longer, he has family in Perth and even then it took us long enough to get him, I doubt he will move to Melbourne 'just cause'.

Too many Rebels players as a whole though. ;)

Let's rephrase as a Force team with some Rebels thrown in :D

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)

1. Smith
2. TPN
3. Lomax
4. Phillip
5. Coleman
6. McCalman
7. McMahon
8. Mafi
9. Stirzaker/Ruru
10. Lance
11. Koroibete
12. Hodge
13. English
14. Sefa
15. DHP

16. Hanson
17. Van Wyk
18. Ainsley
19. Timani
20. Fainga'a/Hardwick
21. Stirzaker/Ruru
23. Shipperly

Is Lance really the best 10 we can get? What about McGregor as fly half cover on the bench?

D

daz

I'd be interested to see a similar exercise done over on the Force 2018 thread.

Fact is, our coaches and admins are already debating this and we are naive to think otherwise; one way or another one of us is going to have to do it for real, so we may as well have some fun with it.

Things are getting a bit bitter between the Force and Rebels supporters, as if the ARU actually gives a shit what we all think. We need to stop worrying about something we have no chance of controlling. And we certainly need to stop getting feral with each other.

Just my 2 cents.

D

daz

With that English lad can you still keep Mafi on your books considering he is a Jap international?

I think we will struggle to keep Mafi, given he is a marquee and has a short shelf-life anyway.

I absolutely agree with you about Stirzacker; I would drop him like a hot potato, captain or not.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we will struggle to keep Mafi, given he is a marquee and has a short shelf-life anyway.

I absolutely agree with you about Stirzacker; I would drop him like a hot potato, captain or not.

Mafi has been a beast. Top 3 players the club has had, which is astounding considering the small sample size.

I was listening to the Rugby Pod at lunch today, just a rumor but they mentioned murmurs of him being in talks with Leicester. Potential clear out there with Lachie McCaffrey being mentioned. Apparently looking to get rid of a few contracts - JP Pietersen was mentioned but be nice if this opened the door for a To'omua etc.

Mafi and McMahon are both super players and need to be retained by all means.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i think Mafi will play for Sunwolves in 2018, unfortunately, JRFU starting to make noises about eligibility for RWC 2019.
i dont think either us or the Force fans should speculate on team make ups for 2018, just poor taste at this stage.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Mafi is not the International marque player. Japanese players are under a different cap. Also Rebels and Force are allowed multiple marquees. In 2018 the Rebels will have Volavola and Parling.

But then again Mafi only signed for 1 year so could sign again and play for the sunwolves in 2019 which will be mandatory for WC inclusion.

I wouldn't take quite so much liberty in picking the cream of the crop of Force players as the Tahs will be keen to get their hands on a couple NSW boys and to fill in their own weaknesses - eg Mccalman, Phillips, Faulkner, Meakes, Rona. Reds will need to fill the void of Tui and Houston so could target Qlders Cottrell & Naisarani and the Brumbies losing Staniforth could use the other twin tower Arnold

However, to me, Lance (for Bachop), DHP (for Ships- not worth his money), Coleman (for Day) and proper no.6 (for Mafi/Mcmahon) in RHP, and Louwrens for Meehan IMO should be essential targets.

On the flip, the Force could really use a backup centre and/or replacement in for Brache in Tuipolotu, Naivalu/Koroibete (for Morohan/Masirewa), hopfully would keep TPN, and a backup flyhalf for Grant

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Here's a list of players that are out of contract at the end of this season:

Cruze Ah-Nau
Tim Metcher
Tom Moloney
Fereti Sa'aga
Toby Smith

James Hanson
Patrick Leafa
Siliva Siliva
Jordan Uelese

Steve Cummins
Murray Douglas (short-term)
Esei Ha'angana
Culum Retallick

Harley Fox
Sean McMahon
Amanaki Mafi
Will Miller (short-term)
Jordy Reid
Hugh Sinclair (short-term)

Michael Snowden
Nic Stirzaker

Jack Debreczeni
Ben Volavola

Mitch Inman
Dennis Pili-Gaitau

Pama Fou
Kentaro Kodama
Jonah Placid
Dom Shipperley

Confirmed leaving:

Dominic Day
Ben Meehan
Jake Schatz

IMHO, I reckon Smith, Sa'aga, Uelese, Ha'angana, McMahon and Mafi should be re-signed as priorities. Thoughts?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Here's a list of players that are out of contract at the end of this season:

IMHO, I reckon Smith, Sa'aga, Uelese, Ha'angana, McMahon and Mafi should be re-signed as priorities. Thoughts?

I thought Debreczeni was signing up with the Honda Heat.

I'd sign up Hanson as he has been a good player in the past and we need a hooker. Maybe under a new coach he will do better.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Smith, Hanson, McMahon, Sa'aga and Mafi.

One of Miller/Reid

One of Placid/Shipperely

At least keeping a couple of squad players so it's not a massive turnover like the early years.

From Force I would look at signing two locks, two props and a full back.

I know media is saying Genia only wants to play for the Reds but if we make him a deal he (the wife) can't refuse, it will allow us to play McGregor with an experienced 9 to show him the ropes and lead by example. He could not play along side any of our current 9's at this level.

Back line would lock solid if they can get some quick ball, that's why we need some solid locks at the set piece.

1) Smith
2) Hanson
3) Lomax
4) Parling
5) Coleman
6) Timani
7) McMahon
8) Mafi
9) Genia
10) McGregor
11) Sefa
12) Hodge
13) English
14) Koro/Hutchison
15) DHP

As long as we manage to keep one of Mafi and McMahon we should be ok, still got Fainga'a so would shift Timani to 8 if required.

That team on paper would be exciting to see at least, can we snap Hill back from the Brumbies as a attacking coach?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
i've bracketed a couple they could probably do without, personally i'd make no effort to keep the current captain/half.

i agree one of either Miller or Reid, i'd keep Sinclair as good 4/6/8 cover.

i'd be surprised if we have either McMahon or Mafi next season. If they lose both, then youd have to keep all those backrowers on the books and hope also that Leota makes a full recovery.

i'd also keep JD but he's gone apparently, Placid is a conundrum, good when he's fit, but keeps falling apart, might be time to look elsewhere.

Smith, Sa'aga, Hanson, Uelese are must's IMO, plus the obvious two from the back row.

there is a squadron of youngsters coming through, but short term results are imperative.

Cruze Ah-Nau
Tim Metcher
Tom Moloney
Fereti Sa'aga
Toby Smith

James Hanson
Patrick Leafa
(Siliva Siliva)
Jordan Uelese

Steve Cummins
Murray Douglas (short-term)
Esei Ha'angana
Culum Retallick

(Harley Fox)
Sean McMahon
Amanaki Mafi
Will Miller (short-term)
Jordy Reid
Hugh Sinclair (short-term)

Michael Snowden
Nic Stirzaker

Jack Debreczeni
Ben Volavola

Mitch Inman
Dennis Pili-Gaitau

(Pama Fou)
Kentaro Kodama
(Jonah Placid)
Dom Shipperley

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

I know it's a faux pas to quote your own post, but :cool:

I hope we sign several from the existing list - I just see these as the highest priority. And I should have included Chibba (I meant to).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You guys should throw all of your money at Volavola...........

Having an international starting 10 would be quite the acquisition. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.