• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Wessels was spot on the fact the forwards looked flat. Guilty of going a bit TOO big in the backrow and delayed the inclusion of Fainga'a & Hardwick to long.

Was honestly surprised when Meakes came on. I 100% thought It would be Naivalu to wing and Maddocks to 15. I think making a change to both the inside backs and the outside backs impacted the defensive patterns too much.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Why are you acting like this is an issue which shouldn’t be discussed?
ARU aren’t underwriting the Rebels for 2018, why should they?
VRU don’t have the financial capacity to underwrite the Rebels, hence them handing back the license last time. Rebels received a cash injection from the Vic Govt to provide working capital, and from memory that was in vicninty of $2million, at the current rate the will be gone by the end of the season. Then what?

Financial sustainability of our clubs is a massive issue and it’s not one which should be ignored,
It is $3.5 million for this year not $2 m. But even that will be all used up soon enough. Big trip to Tokyo with the jersey tugging John Eren, Business class trips for Freier and Saffy two weeks ago to Melbourne for the big alumni night - can't think of more ways to spend spend spend.
VRU financials for 2017 not out yet, but due within the month - they will be interesting

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
VRU don’t have the financial capacity to underwrite the Rebels, hence them handing back the license last time. Rebels received a cash injection from the Vic Govt to provide working capital, and from memory that was in vicninty of $2million, at the current rate the will be gone by the end of the season. Then what?

Financial sustainability of our clubs is a massive issue and it’s not one which should be ignored,
But every }#^#ing week?
It hasn’t changed. So why repeat the same crap all the time. We agree we want a sponsor but what is the point of posting it all the bloody time. There is no serious discussion that we can have about it so why bother unless you are just trolling.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
But every }#^#ing week?
It hasn’t changed. So why repeat the same crap all the time. We agree we want a sponsor but what is the point of posting it all the bloody time. There is no serious discussion that we can have about it so why bother unless you are just trolling.
Ahh Kevin started this with his announcement of the announcement - what's the purpose of that?

D

daz

I’m not saying it shouldnt be discussed, I’m just not sure why it matters to people, or what we can do about it if it does.

What does it matter if the VRU, in alignment and financial support by the Vic government, is acting as the de facto sponsor of the Rebels this year?

Why do you say “ at the current rate”? What do you know of the financial workings of this or any club?

The reason I push back on comments like yours is not because you are challenging the Rebels. They are here playing Super Rugby, so I’m comfortable to say I’ve got all I need.

No, the reason is that people tend to get wound up about things that really can’t be controlled or fully known. It just seems a waste of energy. Is it important? I really don’t know. Maybe it is. But really, what does it matter?

The way I see it, the club will be fine, or it won’t. If it is, I’ll keep watching. If it isn’t, I’ll find something else to watch. Either way, the endless going on about it changes absolutely nothing. If people feel that strongly about it, join the board and get involved.

And I guess the final thing is that clearly there is some agreement between the RA and the VRU to keep the Rebels solvent. Can you imagine the disaster if the Rebels go under? It just won’t be allowed to happen, of that I have no doubt. Money is flowing to the Rebels from somewhere, and I would be unsurprised to hear that RA knows exactly where.

I turn up, drink beer and watch the games. That’s enough for me. If you or others want to worry about how the Rebels, or any club, is being funded, go find out. Pretty sure the answers aren’t here.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It is $3.5 million for this year not $2 m. But even that will be all used up soon enough. Big trip to Tokyo with the jersey tugging John Eren, Business class trips for Freier and Saffy two weeks ago to Melbourne for the big alumni night - can't think of more ways to spend spend spend.
VRU financials for 2017 not out yet, but due within the month - they will be interesting

The other thing is they must have a lot more payroll expense when compared to the other Aussie Super Rugby teams, granted the Rebels don't have the financial air dam that is Ballymore (I'm not sure what the Waratahs excuse is, and the Brumbies run a tight ship), but they really must find some way to get sponsorship and become self sufficient. If nothing else it's embarrassing, a friend of mine who I watched the Waratahs vs Rebels game even pointed it out and had a chuckle, and he follows the A-League!

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Why do you say “ at the current rate”? What do you know of the financial workings of this or any club?

Actually my best friend reads the financial statements for most the Aussie and Kiwi Super Rugby teams when they come out (she's a nerd like that)... Obviously she hasn't seen them for Melbourne previously because they were a private company, but I'm sure she's eager to read what becomes available!

D

daz

Actually my best friend reads the financial statements for most the Aussie and Kiwi Super Rugby teams when they come out (she's a nerd like that). Obviously she hasn't seen them for Melbourne previously because they were a private company, but I'm sure she's eager to read what becomes available!

I’m sure lots of people will be poring over them, looking for irregularities.

T

TOCC

I’m not saying it shouldnt be discussed, I’m just not sure why it matters to people, or what we can do about it if it does.

What does it matter if the VRU, in alignment and financial support by the Vic government, is acting as the de facto sponsor of the Rebels this year?

The reason I push back on comments like yours is not because you are challenging the Rebels. They are here playing Super Rugby, so I’m comfortable to say I’ve got all I need.

No, the reason is that people tend to get wound up about things that really can’t be controlled or fully known. It just seems a waste of energy. Is it important? I really don’t know. Maybe it is. But really, what does it matter?

The way I see it, the club will be fine, or it won’t. If it is, I’ll keep watching. If it isn’t, I’ll find something else to watch. Either way, the endless going on about it changes absolutely nothing. If people feel that strongly about it, join the board and get involved.

And I guess the final thing is that clearly there is some agreement between the RA and the VRU to keep the Rebels solvent. Can you imagine the disaster if the Rebels go under? It just won’t be allowed to happen, of that I have no doubt. Money is flowing to the Rebels from somewhere, and I would be unsurprised to hear that RA knows exactly where.

I turn up, drink beer and watch the games. That’s enough for me. If you or others want to worry about how the Rebels, or any club, is being funded, go find out. Pretty sure the answers aren’t here.

It matters because when the VRU run out of money they turn to the ARU like they did last time, yet this time the ARU are broke and can't afford to take on a franchise haemorrhaging money, that doesn't matter if its the Reds, Tahs or Rebels, they're up shit creek. Australian Rugby is in financial strife, hence that whole 'culling a team' thing last year which lost us a team to support and took a massive emotional toll on the players and fans alike. Im not trying to revisit that issue here, but that issue is a very real and recent example of why the financial performance of Australian super rugby teams is important to all teams, not just the fans down in Melbourne.

I get it, its not a savoury topic and people don't want to discuss it because of the negative vibe around the issue, but the reality is that its a very real topic, and given the off-season recruiting drive and added marketing power there is no good reason why the Rebels should be 20% of their way through their 3rd? season now without a major sponsor.

Hence my question, are the Rebels valuing their sponsorship value too highly and pricing potential candidates out of the market. 20% of the way through the season would suggest a relative 20% drop in the value of the rights as they stand now, maybe its a case of cutting their asking price by 20% at the start of the season. Who is advising the Rebels that leaves them in this predicament.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
It matters because when the VRU run out of money they turn to the ARU like they did last time, yet this time the ARU are broke and can't afford to take on a franchise haemorrhaging money, that doesn't matter if its the Reds, Tahs or Rebels, they're up shit creek. Australian Rugby is in financial strife, hence that whole 'culling a team' thing last year which lost us a team to support and took a massive emotional toll on the players and fans alike. Im not trying to revisit that issue here, but that issue is a very real and recent example of why the financial performance of Australian super rugby teams is important to all teams, not just the fans down in Melbourne.

I get it, its not a savoury topic and people don't want to discuss it because of the negative vibe around the issue, but the reality is that its a very real topic, and given the off-season recruiting drive and added marketing power there is no good reason why the Rebels should be 20% of their way through their 3rd? season now without a major sponsor.

Hence my question, are the Rebels valuing their sponsorship value too highly and pricing potential candidates out of the market. 20% of the way through the season would suggest a relative 20% drop in the value of the rights as they stand now, maybe its a case of cutting their asking price by 20% at the start of the season. Who is advising the Rebels that leaves them in this predicament.

This last paragraph is quite interesting, a friend of mine who runs a local basketball association who get sponsorship for their higher level teams, he was actually saying at times he's effectively given away sponsorship, basically at the cost of the jerseys, because nothing stops sponsorship negotiations like a blank shirt -- why would I want my brand to be seen there if no one else wants it. But once you get something on there people's attitudes start to change.

I do get the impression Melbourne are a little too comfortable right now, they aren't being push too hard to go out and got those deals done like they perhaps should be. It is very concerning, and honestly at this point you've just gotta get something on the jersey because it remaining blank will lead to it being perceived as worth less, if not worthless.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Do you know for certain who paid for John Eren to be in Japan? With Japan Airlines recently starting direct flights to Melbourne a big part of the trip was to meet with potential trade partners to Victoria. He (and his assistant) may have been there as a guest of JAL. Also discussions with current and potential future sponsors for the Rebels took place. Not everything is a junket.

charlesalan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Do you know for certain who paid for John Eren to be in Japan? With Japan Airlines recently starting direct flights to Melbourne a big part of the trip was to meet with potential trade partners to Victoria. He (and his assistant) may have been there as a guest of JAL. Also discussions with current and potential future sponsors for the Rebels took place. Not everything is a junket.
No I don't, but if he didn't get ministerial approval for the trip then I'd like to know why the Rebels paid for his trip - oh wait, probs because of the big windfall he approved to them for the next three years. Cute deal eh.
And don't go shooting your mouth off about future sponsors if you've got nothing to say - the moderators are getting antsy about that kind of talk as it is.

D

daz

And don't go shooting your mouth off about future sponsors if you've got nothing to say - the moderators are getting antsy about that kind of talk as it is.

Well, I can’t speak for the other mods, but for myself, don’t worry about what I get antsy about. I’ll be sure to let you know.

FYI, it’s this kind of thing.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Because that is what they told me. Not that they have a sponsor, that they were talking to potential sponsors. There was and is nothing more to say.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
So does anyone think meakes needs to start now? 2 try assists and 2 pilfers

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think he and English are pretty much even. I would have put Meakes as a likely starter at the start of the season but English has taken his opportunity well.
Meakes had 1 more run for 12 more metres. 1 missed out of 7 tackles compared to 1 missed out of 6 for English. 2 turnovers conceded compared to 1. 2 Try assists compared to 0 but 0 tries compared to 1.
Which ever of them is on the bench is a very strong person to have on the bench.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So does anyone think meakes needs to start now? 2 try assists and 2 pilfers

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sorry Shiggins, still not convinced it was the best balanced back line. He did play well, but where do you play Hodge? With DHP injured he might start. With DHP fit I would still rather our starting back line, and 3 bonus point wins is hard to go past when Meakes and English did not work well defensively together. I still have to watch the match again but I would not go far enough to say he has to start just yet.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If Hodge is going to play like that again, Meakes should replace him.

English certainly hasn't done anything to get dropped to the bench and Hodge shouldn't play 13 ahead of English.

Status
Not open for further replies.