• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Was there a sponsorship thread? Or was that my imagination? Reality is a little fluid these days but I’m pretty sure there was.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
It was only a short term thread.

daz it started facetiously but there's pretty case for keeping it, perhaps sans the troll-y content?

I actually agree with TOCC and others - it's an important issue and is worth discussing. What shits me is that a bit of friendly banter and discussion about the players and the team gets derailed on a weekly basis by the same questions from the same people, hence the focused thread. Anyway, it's not a die-in-the-ditch thing, just an irritation.

Shiggins! Time to front up mate. Your calls have been heard and the great man Wessels has green-lighted (lit?) your boy Meakes.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
It was only a short term thread.
Strange that’s the first time I’ve ever seen or heard of a short term thread on GAGR. I guess when you don’t like the opinion of others you let them share those opinions then delete them, hoping that In deleting the bytes it’s also somehow expunged from their consciousness.

It’s getting a bit tiresome for us but I’m sure there is massive satisfaction when delete is pressed so that makes the censorship worthwhile.

D

daz

Strange that’s the first time I’ve ever seen or heard of a short term thread on GAGR. I guess when you don’t like the opinion of others you let them share those opinions then delete them, hoping that In deleting the bytes it’s also somehow expunged from their consciousness.

It’s getting a bit tiresome for us but I’m sure there is massive satisfaction when delete is pressed so that makes the censorship worthwhile.

Sponsorship thread, short term thread, short term sponsorship. Ah well, humour was not my strong point.

The conversation can be had on a number of Places in this forum, it really doesn’t need it’s own home.

And it’s ripe for toxicity, which had already started to play out. So, I closed it. Why? Because I can.

Anything else I can help you with?

Reactions: dru
D

daz

daz it started facetiously but there's pretty case for keeping it, perhaps sans the troll-y content?

I actually agree with TOCC and others - it's an important issue and is worth discussing. What shits me is that a bit of friendly banter and discussion about the players and the team gets derailed on a weekly basis by the same questions from the same people, hence the focused thread. Anyway, it's not a die-in-the-ditch thing, just an irritation.

Shiggins! Time to front up mate. Your calls have been heard and the great man Wessels has green-lighted (lit?) your boy Meakes.

I agree with you, TOCC and others, it IS an important topic. I think we can only discuss it so far before we start to circle around for the 10th time, but I get it is perplexing to some.

The thread went south very quickly, unfortunately. So, here we are. Rebels thread for Rebels topics.

Rebels major sponsorship is one of them, I grudgingly suppose! :)

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Sponsorship thread, short term thread, short term sponsorship. Ah well, humour was not my strong point.

The conversation can be had on a number of Places in this forum, it really doesn’t need it’s own home.

And it’s ripe for toxicity, which had already started to play out. So, I closed it. Why? Because I can.

Anything else I can help you with?

Yes, it's probably about time for Reg to have another little chat with you Daz, can you organise that.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Posts from the mega thread including the questions - are they gone of will they be repatriated?

Well if we are back here and the topics open, I have a question.

IIRC the Rebels had Rabodirect as their major sponsor for 5 years until the end of 2015 and have not had one since.

I am aware that Super Rugby operates in a weird and self restricting marketplace. Having 8 home games, 4 others domestically out of 19 (and very limited chance of home finals to market off) and a limited pay TV audience all make attracting sponsors difficult and limit the value. However all the other current franchises have managed to secure majors sponsors each season.

It begs the question about the both the marketplace (Melbourne / Victoria) and the product (Rebels); are the Rebels marketable, relevant and a realistic viable commercial product?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
It disappeared because it was a shit post. Your shitty return attempt at a joke is probably going to get deleted again. I’d advise you just let it go and return to being a productive member of this community.

Leave the artwork to Dismal Pillock. At least his is funny. Unlike this attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IIRC the Rebels had Rabodirect as their major sponsor for 5 years until the end of 2015 and have not had one since.

I am aware that Super Rugby operates in a weird and self restricting marketplace. Having 8 home games, 4 others domestically out of 19 (and very limited chance of home finals to market off) and a limited pay TV audience all make attracting sponsors difficult and limit the value. However all the other current franchises have managed to secure majors sponsors each season.

It begs the question about the both the marketplace (Melbourne / Victoria) and the product (Rebels); are the Rebels marketable, relevant and a realistic viable commercial product?

I have no idea why the Rebels can't attract a sponsor but the nature of the competition just provides a different sponsorship opportunity compared to a solely domestic or state based competition.

It works very well for brands that aren't restricted to a local marketplace. The Tahs for example have Daikin currently have previously had Volvo and HSBC.

The Reds have St George which has a national footprint.

Look at an NRL team for example and you've got someone like Wests Tigers who are sponsored by Brydens Lawyers who have offices in Liverpool and the Sydney CBD.

Rabodirect was a good fit sponsor for a Super Rugby team because it is a brand that operates in a range of countries. No idea why they can't find another sponsor.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
My very uninformed guess is that the Rebels are rolling the dice here a bit and hoping that they'll get a few more wins on the board. A team that's won 5 games out of the opening 6 is a lot more attractive to sponsor than one that finished last season with 2 wins.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
My very uninformed guess is that the Rebels are rolling the dice here a bit and hoping that they'll get a few more wins on the board. A team that's won 5 games out of the opening 6 is a lot more attractive to sponsor than one that finished last season with 2 wins.
And getting 10,000* at every game at the same time then sign a multi year deal with the higher rate to make up for half a season more with no sponsor? Makes some sense. Sort of betting on the 2 birds in the bush coming in.

If nothing else I like your optimism.

No picture as shit or unfunny posts are not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.