• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I have no idea why the Rebels can't attract a sponsor but the nature of the competition just provides a different sponsorship opportunity compared to a solely domestic or state based competition.

Rabodirect was a good fit sponsor for a Super Rugby team because it is a brand that operates in a range of countries. No idea why they can't find another sponsor.

I wonder how much the Rabodirect sponsorship was due to Harold Mitchell's influence. Maybe he was cashing in some favours? Maybe he made some promises? Now he has toddled off to count his losses, and that's the end of that connection.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder how much the Rabodirect sponsorship was due to Harold Mitchell's influence. Maybe he was cashing in some favours? Maybe he made some promises? Now he has toddled off to count his losses, and that's the end of that connection.
Possibly. But, didn't Rabobank start sponsoring the Pro 12 in 2011 as well as the Rebels and some other teams? They ditched their rugby sponsorship in the UK before they withdrew from the Rebels. More likely they just decided that rugby sponsorship wasn't for them.

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Possibly. But, didn't Rabobank start sponsoring the Pro 12 in 2011 as well as the Rebels and some other teams? They ditched their rugby sponsorship in the UK before they withdrew from the Rebels. More likely they just decided that rugby sponsorship wasn't for them.
Yeah that sounds about right to me

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Now I don't want to wage in on this Sponsorship conversation but in my experience the Sponsor hopes to get lots of publicity for paying some money to show their logo on the footy team apparel - so no logo = no publicity. It doesn't make sense to 'hold out'. If you want to align with a team, you will, and hopefully the players don't stuff you by dropping packs of drugs in QLD, or something worse. I'm guessing no logo = no sponsor. But I hope some one will come forward soonish. It doesn't make sense to wait till the season is over, cos then the opportunity to show your logo is also over.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Tom English insta has Shipps retiring. Seems injury got the better of him in the end.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Tom English insta has Shipps retiring. Seems injury got the better of him in the end.

Saw that too. A shame, but he did get injured a lot and there is only so much the body can take. Good luck to him in the future.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

Confirmed in Wessell's presser. Says he wants to keep Dom around the group.

Also, David Horwitz is off to Connacht at the end of the season.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Confirmed in Wessell's presser. Says he wants to keep Dom around the group.

Also, David Horwitz is off to Connacht at the end of the season.
Strange that they sign him and Kyle Godard this week.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
It sounds like they've signed Horwitz to play 10.

BTW, is out-half an Irish term? I thought they generally used "stand-off" in the NH.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm enjoying this Rebels resurgence as much as the next man but I am a bit nervous about their self-belief and ticker. So far they've only played two teams on the road, one was a solid win against the hapless Moonpups and the other was a veritable spanking by the 'Tahs. I want to see the Rebels beat a decent team or two away from home before I get too excited.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It sounds like they've signed Horwitz to play 10.

BTW, is out-half an Irish term? I thought they generally used "stand-off" in the NH.
They are in trouble if they are going to rely on him @10

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I'm enjoying this Rebels resurgence as much as the next man but I am a bit nervous about their self-belief and ticker. So far they've only played two teams on the road, one was a solid win against the hapless Moonpups and the other was a veritable spanking by the 'Tahs. I want to see the Rebels beat a decent team or two away from home before I get too excited.

I don't think the Rebels have really been tested so far, the only away trip outside of Australia was against the Sunwolves and then the loss against the Waratahs in Sydney. They seem to be tracking well in their games and then all of a sudden they just seem to lose all their structure, last week in the second half it happened against the Tahs, and it seemed to happen against the Sharks for about 20mins in the first half against the Sharks.

I think the next month will be where they earn their stripes and show how far they've come, with the Hurricanes at home followed by a road trip to South Africa, they've even got the Jaguares who have the power to pile on points quickly if the Rebels turn-off.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Thank you, Jaguares!

Super Rugby Ladder
wldpdbppts
1 Melbourne Rebels 4 1 0 77 4 20
2 Lions 4 2 0 26 3 19
3 Crusaders 3 2 0 40 3 15
4 Hurricanes 3 1 0 50 2 14
5 Chiefs 3 1 0 48 1 13
6 Highlanders 3 1 0 16 1 13
7 Queensland Reds 3 2 0 -7 1 13
8 Stormers 3 3 0 -11 1 13
9 NSW Waratahs 2 1 1 21 0 10
10 Sharks 1 3 1 -18 3 9
11 Brumbies 2 2 0 -17 0 8
12 Jaguares 2 4 0 -40 0 8
13 Blues 1 3 0 -27 2 6
14 Bulls 1 4 0 -50 1 5
15 Sunwolves 0 5 0 -108 2 2

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
The Rebels have again shown their weakness - an inability to even vaguely regain some control of a game after they get rattled. I suspect it is either lack of maturity and experience as individuals or as a combined team.

Hopefully with time they can develop this.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Rebels have again shown their weakness - an inability to even vaguely regain some control of a game after they get rattled. I suspect it is either lack of maturity and experience as individuals or as a combined team.

Hopefully with time they can develop this.
I am still seething after seeing that pathetic second half capitulation by the rebels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.