• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So much for the money saved from axing the Force going to grassroots rugby. Again, timing by ARU shows what a complete farce the past four months have been

While we agree with the ARU being a bunch of useless ass holes.

I as a Rebels fan have had a S@it year and want to start trying to look forward to 2018. So I would kindly ask you take your built up anger and frustration to the following forums: Force 2018, Where to for Super Rugby or anything to do with the ARU in the title.

We all hope the Western Force survive, are remaining respectful and not talking wish list etc.

But please let us try to enjoy our Rebels thread now that we believe we are safe and here in 2018.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

I as a Rebels fan have had a S@it year and want to start trying to look forward to 2018. So I would kindly ask you take your built up anger and frustration to the following forums: Force 2018, Where to for Super Rugby or anything to do with the ARU in the title.

We all hope the Western Force survive, are remaining respectful and not talking wish list etc.

But please let us try to enjoy our Rebels thread now that we believe we are safe and here in 2018.
Well said, Kev. Onwards.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I think he's the wrong guy right now for any head role. Clearly he doesn't want to go from being the attack coach of probably the worst attack in Super Rugby to the Head coach of it.

Beyond that, between a couple of interviews, and a speech, he seems to speak his mind too often to be a head coach outside the NRL. Let's just say he wasn't particularly afraid to have a go at both our gameplan and a couple of individuals not too long ago, not to mention Rugby decisions being revoked by the corporate side of things.

We had a gameplan?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Amen

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
News has been coming for a while but I'm underwhelmed.

1. It looks terrible signing a guy for $800k when we've lost an entire team over $6m. I know we weren't responsible for the price - the ARU were in their negotiating wisdom - but boy oh boy, optics. Speaks to a bigger issue that not one Wallaby signing is worth their price at the moment.

2. I really don't think he's that good. We already have a scrumhalf that's slow to pass and box kicks once every three possessions like clockwork. Having a new scrumhalf that's better at the exact same gameplan isn't much of an upgrade.

God, give us a 10.

D

daz

News has been coming for a while but I'm underwhelmed.

1. It looks terrible signing a guy for $800k when we've lost an entire team over $6m. I know we weren't responsible for the price - the ARU were in their negotiating wisdom - but boy oh boy, optics. Speaks to a bigger issue that not one Wallaby signing is worth their price at the moment.

2. I really don't think he's that good. We already have a scrumhalf that's slow to pass and box kicks once every three possessions like clockwork. Having a new scrumhalf that's better at the exact same gameplan isn't much of an upgrade.

God, give us a 10.

Given the amount of charge down tries he gifts, surely each opposition club can pay his fucking match fee's?

Either that, or we need to start a swear/box kick jar.

That's a jar where Genia pays a dollar for each box kick he does, and we put in a dollar for each swear when he box kicks.

Should be enough to cover his salary by round 3 next year.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I tend to think the Rebels would have been better served picking up Ruru. The guy has a crisp pass and great run. He is strong too so can get through defenders. He is almost a playmaker in his ability and would have given support and extra time for a less experienced flyhalf like a Debra, which would help with their development and decision making.
I think Inman is gone so a Chance Peni, Curtis Rona or Billy Meakes would be a great replacement. Meakes in particular as he has a great short pass and someone like English would be devastating off that.
And with McMahon going, get yourself Naisarani. He is a huge runner and will fill the gap McMahon leaves.

As grumpy I am about the Force being axed, I wish the Rebels the best of luck and hope that with the dark clouds now being removed the players get on with it and get some success next year.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Genia signing is a good thing for the Rebels, an experienced leader. Woo we need one of them.

A high profile wallaby for the marketing department, god we needed one of them the last two years. (Sorry McMahons profile is no where near that yet)

A household name to the regular sportsfan. At least anyone who has watched a Wallabies game in the last 8 years would no who he is.

An experienced half to lead organize the forwards and lead the backs. Omg we really needed one of them.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Genia signing is a good thing for the Rebels, an experienced leader. Woo we need one of them.

A high profile wallaby for the marketing department, god we needed one of them the last two years. (Sorry McMahons profile is no where near that yet)

A household name to the regular sportsfan. At least anyone who has watched a Wallabies game in the last 8 years would no who he is.

An experienced half to lead organize the forwards and lead the backs. Omg we really needed one of them.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
And really, are we in a position right now to be fussy?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't get some of the Genia hate. Last season we watched a hapless wallabies lose 3 times on the bounce at home. Genia replaced Phipps and was undoubtedly in our top 2/3 players every game for the remainder of the year. This season he was solid against Fiji, horrendous in the first half against Scotland but played fairly well in the second half and the Italy game was solid.

It might of been a few years ago but he's probably been one of the few players in the team that at some stage in his career could legitimately be in the discussion for worlds best. As for money, compared to the average aus player it's quite a lot but a) we have seen what the average aus player can do of late and b) if he can draw a few extra 1000 into the crowd the first few weeks, bring some visibility to the team/competition well then it would of paid itself off, let alone send the right msg to sponsors.

It might turn out to be a bust but with so much negative going on I'd like to see this as a positive for the team.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
I don't get some of the Genia hate. Last season we watched a hapless wallabies lose 3 times on the bounce at home. Genia replaced Phipps and was undoubtedly in our top 2/3 players every game for the remainder of the year. This season he was solid against Fiji, horrendous in the first half against Scotland but played fairly well in the second half and the Italy game was solid.

It might of been a few years ago but he's probably been one of the few players in the team that at some stage in his career could legitimately be in the discussion for worlds best. As for money, compared to the average aus player it's quite a lot but a) we have seen what the average aus player can do of late and b) if he can draw a few extra 1000 into the crowd the first few weeks, bring some visibility to the team/competition well then it would of paid itself off, let alone send the right msg to sponsors.

It might turn out to be a bust but with so much negative going on I'd like to see this as a positive for the team.

Genia might be past his best but having his experience and maturity around the young halves in Goddard and McGregor will only fast track their development. His professionalism and game knowledge will be a plus for the Rebels.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I'm trying to think of a bigger signing for the Rebels than Genia.

- Beale - probably a bigger signing at the time based on he won the John Eales medal the year before. Result at the Rebels - played less than half the games available due to injuries and suspension.
- O'Connor - probably not a bigger signing. Was already showing signs of what was to come with missing some pre World Cup functions. Result at the Rebels - missed about 1/3rd of the games. Played well. Appears to have not been particularly liked by his team mates
- Higgers - has never been able to hold down an Australian position. Result at the Rebels - Awesome.
- Mortlock - definitely past his prime when he signed for the Rebels. Result at the Rebels - Ok. Not clear how much he helped with the team (given the performance of the team). Looked very slow in his last year.
- Gerrard - Well past his Australia days when he played with the Rebels. Result at the Rebels - Solid performance over a couple of years. Had a great boot on him

Probably rank Genia below Beale and above the others based on paper.

Would also think that Geoff Parling would definitely be in our top 5 recruits on paper

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Personally I am looking forward to 2018 and WG's influence.

I don't think you had much choice. The ARU probably had to promise you a sweetener somehow, where else could he go? no where!
As a result it is prob a good move, especially if the Force players won't be there to pillage as I anticipate.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I don't think you had much choice. The ARU probably had to promise you a sweetener somehow, where else could he go? no where!
As a result it is prob a good move, especially if the Force players won't be there to pillage as I anticipate.

Thinking that most of them will opt to take the payout and head overseas then?

B

BLR

Personally I am looking forward to 2018 and WG's influence.
Do the Rebels have a team song if they win? I heard that's Genia's number 1 requirement in a happy time at a team. Maybe get someone in to jazz it up to be a real toe tapper.

;)

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Do the Rebels have a team song if they win? I heard that's Genia's number 1 requirement in a happy time at a team. Maybe get someone in to jazz it up to be a real toe tapper.
;)
Have you seen the movie "Frozen"? "Let it go, let it go...". You guys are like a dog with a bone.

As for a team song, yes we do, to the tune of "Do you hear the people sing". Not that we played it much this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.