• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I don't think you had much choice. The ARU probably had to promise you a sweetener somehow, where else could he go? no where!
As a result it is prob a good move, especially if the Force players won't be there to pillage as I anticipate.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ARU is coughing up more than 50% of the $800k. As you said, nowhere else for him to go.

Hopefully you are right on the Force players and they will be playing for the Force. If not, I'd expect to see at least half of them stick around in Australia.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
I wouldn't be surprised if the ARU is coughing up more than 50% of the $800k. As you said, nowhere else for him to go.

Hopefully you are right on the Force players and they will be playing for the Force. If not, I'd expect to see at least half of them stick around in Australia.

yes looking at it in this fashion he is probably not costing more than a regular good player, say Inman? Therefore a good buy as long as he puts his heart into it.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I tend to think the Rebels would have been better served picking up Ruru. The guy has a crisp pass and great run. He is strong too so can get through defenders. He is almost a playmaker in his ability and would have given support and extra time for a less experienced flyhalf like a Debra, which would help with their development and decision making.
I think Inman is gone so a Chance Peni, Curtis Rona or Billy Meakes would be a great replacement. Meakes in particular as he has a great short pass and someone like English would be devastating off that.
And with McMahon going, get yourself Naisarani. He is a huge runner and will fill the gap McMahon leaves.

As grumpy I am about the Force being axed, I wish the Rebels the best of luck and hope that with the dark clouds now being removed the players get on with it and get some success next year.

Fuck off, they cant have both Naisirani and Mafi!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The thing about Genia is you know he will be an utmost professional on the training paddock and around the club. he can be a little reluctant to do too much promo work but in terms of team training he is professional as they come and will be a great example to the rest of the team.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
you realise i was implying that NOT hearing the song was the only tangible benefit of losing.

Hahaha ...

I was in the USA for work for the Brumbies game.
In Japan for Holidays for the win against the Force in May 2016
In the USA for work for the win against the Cheetahs in April 2016

I think the only game I have seen the Rebels win live in the past 2 years is the one against the Reds in March 2016.

It is definitely a distant memory for me ...

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (Insert dot dot dot here because GAGR doesn't like it)

$20 million is not a lot of money if it means "giving up" Bledisloes and 1/4 of it goes straight back to the Rebels.

On the other hand, without any obligation, or hell, ability whatsoever to get the Rebels' License back, $20m for "nothing" is an ok little bit of business.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
This completely accords with what i have been told. The victorian major events corp have put the hard word on the ARU and brokered the deal. A small group of white knights stumped up the monies for Cox and Tim North paid the $1 transfer fee on behalf of the VRU.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
Poor deal if the aru have to dig into their pockets to continue to sustain the rebels. Where's the financial security of the rebels going forward? All I see is someone paid off Cox's debt.
Yes 5 million to the rebels from the govt, but they can burn that quick on past performance.

Too true, and unless they change the fundamentals - the board and governance, they will be destined to repeat all the past mistakes. Gary Gray has had two cracks at the Rebels and he should not be courted as someone who can assist, and neither should Rob Clarke, but both are sniffing around town trying to get their snouts back in the game. Sorry to point to the Board, but apart from Owain Stone, who is a forensic accountant, its the same old gang that led the Rebels down the path before and if they are still steering the ship - North, Cadermole and Dalziel, then nothing will change.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
Too true, and unless they change the fundamentals - the board and governance, they will be destined to repeat all the past mistakes.

I reckon one of the big mistakes the board/club made the first time round was over-investing in infrastructure. For instance, no idea why we moved the club's base to Princes Park and redeveloped the facilities there when there's perfectly decent facilities at AAMI.

Thankfully they appear to have finally learnt this lesson and are moving back in.

Hopefully that trend of better management continues - we've made too many mistakes not to learn from.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
What the Rebels desperately need is revenue.

Any word on sponsors etc jumping on board with the new owners?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Looks like Theo focus will be on a new coach first, with interviews starting next week.

Stability in coaching ranks will make a more attractive sponsorship opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (Insert dot dot dot here because GAGR doesn't like it)

$20 million is not a lot of money if it means "giving up" Bledisloes and 1/4 of it goes straight back to the Rebels.

On the other hand, without any obligation, or hell, ability whatsoever to get the Rebels' License back, $20m for "nothing" is an ok little bit of business.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

$20million isn't a lot of money, the WA Govt have paid $5million to host the 2019 Bledisloe Cup, B&I Lions test is arguably worth more, and if there is more the one Bledislose Cup match in this package over 8-10 years then it's hard to see where ARU sre getting their value for money from.

stoff

Bill McLean (32)
$20million isn't a lot of money, the WA Govt have paid $5million to host the 2019 Bledisloe Cup, B&I Lions test is arguably worth more, and if there is more the one Bledislose Cup match in this package over 8-10 years then it's hard to see where ARU sre getting their value for money from.
Perhaps the ARU view the $20m over ten years as a hedge against devaluation of their matches, especially given they knew they were effectively removing one market which would lower competitive tension. Let's be honest - a bled today is a lower draw then it was five years ago. WA seem to have paid overs at the moment. Look at the 2017 Beldisloe 1 thread - 82 posts and we are only three days from kick off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I suspect the real reason is the Vic Government were the only govt who offered such a large sum of cash upfront, like the ARU asked the WA Govt to do for the 2019 Bledisloe, it wouldn't be beyond the ARU to ask for cash now for a test match which won't happen until 2025. It would also explain why it isn't as much as we would expect it to be, there's no good reason for the ARU to otherwise negotiate a fee for a test match that's still 8 years away.

Status
Not open for further replies.