• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Andy Friend has said he won’t be toying with part time sevens players anymore, it just didn’t work, players will need to commit themselves to a full season of 7s to be considered for the squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Part time 7s works, but the sheer distances and SH season times make it nearly impossible for Australia.

I'd still like to see them get allocated to NRC sides.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Nice to see Trevor Hosea win the best team man for the schoolboys.

Definitely a numbers game with boys 22ish and under, and the more Vic boys in the frame the better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I understand Mr. Wessels will be visiting Rebels HQ tomorrow (Tuesday) to meet the staff. Some nervous members of the current coaching and S & C departments, me thinks.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Any whispers about Wessels previous assistants? Bakarat (forwards) Berne (attack) Foote (Skills)? Hilton seems the most experienced Rebels assistant but Bakarat did a great job in WA. Could Berne push out McGrath?

HOWEVER the Reds seem like a good place to go for the force coaches under Thorn (Head Coach) and McGahan (who was Australian defence at one stage). They could use a more experienced attack coach now having missed out on phil mooney

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If the rumours are true:

1Laurie Weeks
2James Hanson
3Tetera Faulkner
4Geoff Parling
5Adam Coleman
6Lopeti Timani
7Richard Hardwick
8Amanaki Mafi
9Will Genia
10Jono Lance
11Sefa Naivalu
12Reece Hodge
13Bill Meakes
14Marika Koroibete
15Dane Haylett Petty

16?
17Jordan Uelese
18?
19Ross Haylett Petty
20Colby Fainga'a
21Harrison Goddard
22Horwitz / Tuipolotu
23Jack Maddocks

Not a bad looking 23!!

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
If the rumours are true:

1Laurie Weeks
2James Hanson
3Tetera Faulkner
4Geoff Parling
5Adam Coleman
6Lopeti Timani
7Richard Hardwick
8Amanaki Mafi
9Will Genia
10Jono Lance
11Sefa Naivalu
12Reece Hodge
13Bill Meakes
14Marika Koroibete
15Dane Haylett Petty

16?
17Jordan Uelese
18?
19Ross Haylett Petty
20Colby Fainga'a
21Harrison Goddard
22Horwitz / Tuipolotu
23Jack Maddocks

Not a bad looking 23!!

I'd have Colby starting to be fair, but yeah decent looking 23.

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)
If the rumours are true:

1Laurie Weeks
2James Hanson
3Tetera Faulkner
4Geoff Parling
5Adam Coleman
6Lopeti Timani
7Richard Hardwick
8Amanaki Mafi
9Will Genia
10Jono Lance
11Sefa Naivalu
12Reece Hodge
13Bill Meakes
14Marika Koroibete
15Dane Haylett Petty

16?
17Jordan Uelese
18?
19Ross Haylett Petty
20Colby Fainga'a
21Harrison Goddard
22Horwitz / Tuipolotu
23Jack Maddocks

Not a bad looking 23!!

1. Faulkner
2. Hanson
3. Ainsley
4. Coleman
5. Parling
6. Timani
7. Hardwick
8. Mafi
9. Genia
10. Lance
11. Koroibete
12. Meakes
13. Hodge
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16. Uelese
17. Daley
18. Talakai
19. RHP
20. Fainga'a
21. Stirzacker
22. English
23. Maddocks

This will be the strongest 23 the Rebels will put out next season. A few names above are yet to be confirmed however majority are all but set in stone. Quite a formidable squad brewing in Victoria.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Ainsley is the only one of the above that I hadn't considered yet. Not sure about that. Good player. Probably prefer Vui personally if we're going for the tighthead side.

Rest looks fine. Maybe Horwitz before Maddocks for experience and/or fly half cover.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Doubt you'll get Ainsley aswell

Faulkner, Daley, Weeks, Talakai, Saaga.

Ainsley would be a good pick up for the Tahs to replace Taavao as backup and long term THP.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Is Talakai confirmed yet? I know he's leaving Ballymore, but is he coming to Mexico?

Looks like Cruz could be squeezed out?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I am staring to wonder;
a) How many Rebels 2017 squad will be there in 2018?

b} of the remaining 2017 Rebels, how many will be starters?

c) are the ex-Force imports under a true of faux salary cap due to honouring contracts / reallocation / dispensations / top-ups?

d) will the same squad be able to retained in 2019 under a normalised salary cap (if its imposed)?

e) how many fringe / development players who had potential opportunities are now closed off and how many back office / supports staff will go as ex-force staff are brought in?

e} how do Rebel supports feel about 2018 as it looks more and more like the Force team playing in a Rebels colours with a Force set up and what the Rebels built such as culture, history, pathways etc mostly overlooked or appearing fairly redundant?

f) will this seemingly "manufactured" Rebels team capture the hearts minds of the Melbourne rugby community and get the same levels of support even if successful?

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I am staring to wonder;

c) are the ex-Force imports under a true of faux salary cap due to honouring contracts / reallocation / dispensations / top-ups?

d) will the same squad be able to retained in 2019 under a normalised salary cap (if its imposed)?

e) how many fringe / development players who had potential opportunities are now closed off and how many back office / supports staff will go as ex-force staff are brought in?

e} how do Rebel supports feel about 2018 as it looks more and more like the Force team playing in a Rebels colours with a Force set up and what the Rebels built such as culture, history, pathways etc mostly overlooked or appearing fairly redundant?

f) will this seemingly "manufactured" Rebels team capture the hearts minds of the Melbourne rugby community and get the same levels of support even if successful?
Aren’t all teams manufactured? Anyway, there will still be 2017 Rebels players and staff in there but the harsh truth is, after the season we have had, a big shakeup is required. As for capturing the hearts and minds of supporters in Melbourne. The short history has shown that if a player embraces Melbourne and the Rebels, the public will embrace them. Take Delvey and Mafi as good examples of that. On the other hand, James O’Connor.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am staring to wonder;

yes, my concern also, Force dressed in a deeper blue. Personally i'd hope only 6 -8 come from the Force. i think the younger locals need to be persevered with or come 2019 - 2020 they will be all gone. i wouldn't take Meakes or Ainsley or Vui , the HP's apparently come as a package, aside from those already signed, i think Lance, Coleman, Hardwicke, DHP and Louwrens. there was not a lot wrong with the cattle that the Rebels had this year but the cattle master was hopeless and had long lost the lead bulls.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
yes, my concern also, Force dressed in a deeper blue. Personally i'd hope only 6 -8 come from the Force. i think the younger locals need to be persevered with or come 2019 - 2020 they will be all gone. i wouldn't take Meakes or Ainsley or Vui , the HP's apparently come as a package, aside from those already signed, i think Lance, Coleman, Hardwicke, DHP and Louwrens. there was not a lot wrong with the cattle that the Rebels had this year but the cattle master was hopeless and had long lost the lead bulls.
As Jerry Seinfeld said, players change teams so much you aren’t going for the players in the team, you are going for the clothes they wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.