• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
yi think the younger locals need to be persevered with or come 2019 - 2020 they will be all gone.

I think it is the middle bracket that need to be pruned out. The same situation exists at every Australian team.

Of the 2017 squad I wouldn't be worried about losing:

Ah-Nau
Day
Fou
Retallick
Siliva
Snowden
Shipperley
Reid
Maloney
Leafa
Jeffries
Cummins

Plus there are a bunch that have left that I wouldn't be worried about like
Meehan, Inman. Placid, Debreczeni, Fox.

The young, talented guys like Maddocks, McGregor, Tuipulotu, Goddard are important for the future and need to be there and you only want them kept out of the 23 by star players rather than journeymen who will never be outstanding Super Rugby players.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The crust of the team will still be Rebels.

Hodge
Koroibete
Naivalu
Mafi
Uelese/Hanson
Timani
Fainga'a

Will still be in the starting team.

Add to that

Genia
Parling

Both improving the team.

Ultimately we are only 2/3 good players off having a very competitive team.

Toolis and Jeffries will be back next season to bolster a fairly ordinary lock combination this year, and the youngsters particularly Tupulotu, Maddocks, Uelese and Sa'aga are all close to being super rugby level, if not better.

Personally i think we only need a lock, 5/8 and a fullback to be a mid table team.

I also would like some of the other Aus teams to get some of the quality Force players available. Someone like Rona to either the Tahs or Brums, to help their lack of outside back quality. Tahs need Meakes more than the Rebels do. After all i want all Aus teams to do well (just the Rebels that little bit better). I miss sitting down and watching all the aus teams and being able to cheer them on against non Australian opposition.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it is the middle bracket that need to be pruned out. The same situation exists at every Australian team.

Ah-Nau
Day
Fou
Retallick
Siliva
Snowden
Shipperley
Reid
Maloney
Leafa
Jeffries
Cummins

The young, talented guys like Maddocks, McGregor, Tuipulotu, Goddard are important for the future and need to be there and you only want them kept out of the 23 by star players rather than journeymen who will never be outstanding Super Rugby players.

Of that bunch id keep. Siliva - as good of a 3rd choice option as you can get on minimal salary cap spend Jeffries - a good lock. missed the entire Super Rugby and NRC season but worth another season to try and make it. Cummins - not a bad 4th choice lock for the money it'd cost Reid - can cover most backrow positions and has shown to be Super Rugby quality, a good squad player. I'd like to add Shippers to that list but hes just too injury prone.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon Jeffries needs to get serious and have a proper crack at professionalism. He is seems to play off the team joker role which is fine for the lols and social media hits, but it probably correlates with historical total gamers time and fitness/conditioning.

As for the earlier question about sentimentality for existing journeymen, we're constantly told that Super Rugby consists of 'franchises' (vomit) which isn't a great start, but I'm not sure why fans should be wedded to a group of players who have consistently underperformed.

Keep the jets, keep their development projects, test the guys like Jeffries who might have an edge buried underneath the skin folds, and let the learners find European teams.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)

Ah-Nau
Day
Fou
Retallick
Siliva
Snowden
Shipperley
Reid
Maloney
Leafa
Jeffries
Cummins

Ah-Nau, Day,Retallick,Snowden,Leafa are already gone also. Cummins, Jeffries and Reid (?) have time left on their contracts and i'd keep. Will Jeffries ever recover and play again, will Fou or Shipperley actually ever ? Siliva will hang around i believe, not sure wether they need Maloney tough.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If you didn’t see it, there was a story on the 7.30 report tonight about the whole Super Rugby saga. Apparently the Rebels are a basket case. Nothing new in the story, pointing to the continuing senate inquiry tomorrow.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
If you didn’t see it, there was a story on the 7.30 report tonight about the whole Super Rugby saga. Apparently the Rebels are a basket case. Nothing new in the story, pointing to the continuing senate inquiry tomorrow.

And the article from ABC online.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-...hile-western-force-dumped/9035908?pfmredir=sm

Tim North gets his turn at the Senate enquiry tomorrow. The transcript of his testimony will make for interesting reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

So, any further new on how the VRU intend to fund the Rebels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.