• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Gee, I'd love to see an org chart of how all these roles hang together.

Assume they will retain Sarg, who will report into Tony. I noticed that Chris Thomson is managing the Drua, so maybe he's left the Club?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Gee, I'd love to see an org chart of how all these roles hang together.

Assume they will retain Sarg, who will report into Tony. I noticed that Chris Thomson is managing the Drua, so maybe he's left the Club?

Yeah, Thommo took a job with the Fiji Rugby Union.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
So Luke Jones playing for the Aussie BaaBaas. Things might not be so rosie in France and he could be looking for a return to Oz. Would not say no to havimg him back in Melbourne.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Would be great for Aussie rugby but bizarre from the perspective that he just re-signed with Bordeaux.

I reckon he'd be our starting 6 now if he had stayed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Would be great for Aussie rugby but bizarre from the perspective that he just re-signed with Bordeaux.

Its bizarre a French side has even allowed him away at thos time of year. No foreign restrictions during the European cup compared to domestic league.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Big call BH, though I for one would have been more than happy to see him playing there. But, he would not have replaced Mumm up to the end of last year, and Cheika has made it abundantly clear this year that he sees Hanigan and Dempsey as his long term No 6s. I suspect he would still be no better than No 3 in line had he stayed here rather than moving to France.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Big call BH, though I for one would have been more than happy to see him playing there. But, he would not have replaced Mumm up to the end of last year, and Cheika has made it abundantly clear this year that he sees Hanigan and Dempsey as his long term No 6s. I suspect he would still be no better than No 3 in line had he stayed here rather than moving to France.

None of these things happened with the availability of Jones. He left before he gave himself that opportunity.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Things might not be so rosie in France and he could be looking for a return to Oz.

he's sort of content, missus not so much, i'm led to believe. but he has re-signed. there were apparently no offers from Oz !

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
he's sort of content, missus not so much, i'm led to believe. but he has re-signed. there were apparently no offers from Oz !

No offers from Oz? Well that just shows how screwed oz rugby is. One of the most consistent performers in Super Rugby for 3 years before heading overseas and nobody wants him? If they say it's because they were not allowed to sign players than fair enough but not one Australian squads depth is good enough to say no to a player of his quality.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
None of these things happened with the availability of Jones. He left before he gave himself that opportunity.

I actually thought his time as a fringe Wallaby coincided partly with Dean Mumm's selection at 6, but probably not right. However, it was clear at the time that Luke wasn't getting any real opportunity under Cheika regardless of who was playing 6, and iirc there was some contention over the spot back then, and I see no reason to believe the situation would have changed to Luke's benefit had he stayed. I see much the same story unfolding for Joe Powell atm where despite being the form No 9 all through the Super Rugby year he can't get any real opportunity under Cheika who favours Phipps as the back up to Genia despite a very poor Super Rugby year and continued criticisms by knowledgeable posters here about his technical skills. I fully expect Joe to fade into the background after this year is over, Wallabies-wise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I actually thought his time as a fringe Wallaby coincided partly with Dean Mumm's selection at 6, but probably not right. However, it was clear at the time that Luke wasn't getting any real opportunity under Cheika regardless of who was playing 6, and iirc there was some contention over the spot back then, and I see no reason to believe the situation would have changed to Luke's benefit had he stayed. I see much the same story unfolding for Joe Powell atm where despite being the form No 9 all through the Super Rugby year he can't get any real opportunity under Cheika who favours Phipps as the back up to Genia despite a very poor Super Rugby year and continued criticisms by knowledgeable posters here about his technical skills. I fully expect Joe to fade into the background after this year is over, Wallabies-wise.

Jones had an opportunity at the same time as McMahon and McMahon well and truly took it over him.

He then didn't give himself a chance to push for selection after the RWC with Fardy and Mumm's careers (in Australia or altogether) drawing to a close because he elected to sign overseas at the start of the 2016 season.

I don't think there's much basis to say that Cheika would have preferred Dempsey and Hanigan to Jones.

Jones left right at the time he was likely to get more opportunity.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately, Jones was widely criticised for two ball handling errors in his first Wallabies' appearance. The fact that he had a relatively good match for the remainder of the game was ignored mostly because of those errors. Errors which were probably very understandable nerves issues on debut.

It is a matter of opinion only just what would have happened had he stayed here, but it is my opinion that once Cheika gets a set against a player, there is little the player can do to change his mind, and I believe Cheika had that set against Luke Jones. Luke could have been given opportunities in the following year had Cheika been ingerested in him, but wasn't. Let's see how long it takes Arnold to force his way back in, if ever.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Unfortunately, Jones was widely criticised for two ball handling errors in his first Wallabies' appearance. The fact that he had a relatively good match for the remainder of the game was ignored mostly because of those errors. Errors which were probably very understandable nerves issues on debut.

It is a matter of opinion only just what would have happened had he stayed here, but it is my opinion that once Cheika gets a set against a player, there is little the player can do to change his mind, and I believe Cheika had that set against Luke Jones. Luke could have been given opportunities in the following year had Cheika been ingerested in him, but wasn't. Let's see how long it takes Arnold to force his way back in, if ever.

yes I recall those penalties/handling errors. At the time he seemed well out of favour and remember thinking he was making the right decision at that time. Without the Force going he would probably have been a good pickup by the Rebs for next year.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wonder if Cheika has had a say in getting him over here for the Baabaa's game to indicate there is an opportunity. A little strange that he, and none of the other European based wallabies are included as yet. Be interesting to see if his contract has been officially formalised, who knows in the strange world of French rugby

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Could this be a part of the Rebels plan B, in the event that Adam Coleman does go overseas?

Yes, I saw on Midi (?) he's signed an extension, but perhaps Cheika is enticing him back?

Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.