• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Always sad to see player leave a club and their playing career hit the skids and go on a downward trajectory.

We are pleased to welcome @WgtnRugby first five Jackson Garden-Bachop to the Canes family. Full story: https://t.co/p2QDWBdBk0 #Canes2K18 pic.twitter.com/LLoTbqZEqa
— Hurricanes Rugby (@Hurricanesrugby) October 16, 2017

Totality Tony's legacy will be a number of young men whose careers were either stilted under his oversight or who found greener pastures once they left. Good riddance.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Today's lesson in the difference between Kiwi rugby and Aussie rugby is while we are more on a next top model tangent they seem to focus on talent.

I personally can't see any difference from the day he left the Rebels to returning to the Mitre10.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Always sad to see player leave a club and their playing career hit the skids and go on a downward trajectory.

We are pleased to welcome @WgtnRugby first five Jackson Garden-Bachop to the Canes family. Full story: https://t.co/p2QDWBdBk0 #Canes2K18 pic.twitter.com/LLoTbqZEqa
— Hurricanes Rugby (@Hurricanesrugby) October 16, 2017

IIRC MST, you and I were both calling for JGB to get the No 10 spot with the Brumbies when Christian became ill. Don't think anyone else on the forum had necessarily heard of him then, but apparently the Rebels took heed of our calls and signed him. He didn't have a good season with the Rebels, but he did look overweight for the whole season and the Rebels also had a pretty horrible year. Seems to have found his mojo again back home. Expect big things from him in coming years.

Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
^^ agree BR. He nay have eaten all the pies but it's obvious that the Kiwi coaches can work their game plans around it and use his talent. Aussie coaches tend to do the opposite. Players moulded to their game plan in preference of expolting the players natural abilities.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the biggest reason not to keep him is that he isn't clearly a substantial upgrade on the options they have that are Australian, particularly if they sign Jonno Lance.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
He's always shown promise and ability in a Wellington shirt, maybe he was just struggling to adapt to life in Australia. Or it could be that he is like a Godwin-style link man who really shines in a well-drilled team.

There's talented youngsters in the NRC, and Lance is available. Probably better for all parties.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think the biggest reason not to keep him is that he isn't clearly a substantial upgrade on the options they have that are Australian, particularly if they sign Jonno Lance.

Can't agree BH. On his NZ form this year and prior to his Rebels stint, JGB has a much higher ceiling than any of the No 10s going around in Aus NRC sides, much as I admire the work of Jonno Lance. Time will see him achieve high honours imo.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
The right thing for the Rebels is to go with Lance (if possible) and Jack McGregor (who I have been mightily impressed with in his NRC games, despite some growing pains and errors).

It's the same story with the Reds and Hamish Stewart, The Tahs and Mack Mason, the Brumbies with young Hansen etc.

Our development of our young playmakers has been poor to crap over the last 10 years.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Do I think the Rebels have the following front rows signed:

THP:

Jermaine Ainsley
Sam Talakai
Laurie Weekes
Fereti Sa'aga

LHP:

Ben Daley

Utility Prop:

Tetera Faulkner

Somewhat related they have James Hanson signed for next year (although rumoured to be seeking a release?) and that's it. I am not sure of Uelese's contract situation. Anyone else?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Do I think the Rebels have the following front rows signed:

THP:

Jermaine Ainsley
Sam Talakai
Laurie Weekes
Fereti Sa'aga

LHP:

Ben Daley

Utility Prop:

Tetera Faulkner

Somewhat related they have James Hanson signed for next year (although rumoured to be seeking a release?) and that's it. I am not sure of Uelese's contract situation. Anyone else?

I think it's more likely to be (not in any kind of order):

LHP - Faulkner, Daley, Sa'aga
THP - Talakai, Ainsley, Weeks
Hookers: Hanson, Uelese, Siliva (apparently all signed for 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.