• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Unfortunately, Jones was widely criticised for two ball handling errors in his first Wallabies' appearance. The fact that he had a relatively good match for the remainder of the game was ignored mostly because of those errors. Errors which were probably very understandable nerves issues on debut.

It is a matter of opinion only just what would have happened had he stayed here, but it is my opinion that once Cheika gets a set against a player, there is little the player can do to change his mind, and I believe Cheika had that set against Luke Jones. Luke could have been given opportunities in the following year had Cheika been ingerested in him, but wasn't. Let's see how long it takes Arnold to force his way back in, if ever.

Compare his opportunities to what Skelton was given. There are players who continue to get picked and fail again and again and there are players who get bugger all chance. You seem to either be in with Cheika (Phipps, Skelton, Hanigan, Mumm) or you are not. Jones was clearly one of the nots.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Could this be a part of the Rebels plan B, in the event that Adam Coleman does go overseas?

Yes, I saw on Midi (?) he's signed an extension, but perhaps Cheika is enticing him back?

Who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found an image of @oztimmay liberally sprinkling speculation onto the gagr boards.

170203-salt-bae-mn-1530_060e5898cdcf7b58f97126d3cfbfdf71.nbcnews-ux-2880-1000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I do it with a fuckload more style. And usually, with bacon.

Chatting to KevinO before, and we both agree it makes little sense for a Pro 14 Player to be not playing at one of the busiest times in Euro Rugby; Pro 14, European Cup. THey have a lot on. so, why would he be back in OZ playing on what is regarded (even by his own words when I asked him once) a Contiki tour with a few games of Rugby?

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I do it with a fuckload more style. And usually, with bacon.

Chatting to KevinO before, and we both agree it makes little sense for a Pro 14 Player to be not playing at one of the busiest times in Euro Rugby; Pro 14, European Cup. THey have a lot on. so, why would he be back in OZ playing on what is regarded (even by his own words when I asked him once) a Contiki tour with a few games of Rugby?

Bizarre. Part of the starting team, just resigned and will probably miss 2-3 games for the club. Maybe it was part of the resigning deal - that he got to go on this.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Bizarre. Part of the starting team, just resigned and will probably miss 2-3 games for the club. Maybe it was part of the resigning deal - that he got to go on this.

Assuming you mean re-sign, as opposed to resigning :) Posible, yes. but, for one game? Why would you bother? If it's just for the Baa-Baas, no sense. If it's for another tilt at the wobs, he doesn't qualify under Giteau's law. I got the sense when I spoke with Luke that he was over all the long-distance travel, as compared to European travel. Combine the reduced travel and the increased pay packet, and he gets a good work-life balance with his young family. Still, after this year, anything is possible in Aus Rugby.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Assuming you mean re-sign, as opposed to resigning :) Posible, yes. but, for one game? Why would you bother? If it's just for the Baa-Baas, no sense. If it's for another tilt at the wobs, he doesn't qualify under Giteau's law. I got the sense when I spoke with Luke that he was over all the long-distance travel, as compared to European travel. Combine the reduced travel and the increased pay packet, and he gets a good work-life balance with his young family. Still, after this year, anything is possible in Aus Rugby.

Hmmm ... Silly me, I thought that given the Barbarians are playing NZ a week after Australia that it would be in NZ not Twickenham. Maybe he is doing the 2 games and visiting family. Would love to see him back in Australia and get a decent chance at the Wallabies

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He looks a fair bit fitter now but I don't blame the Rebels for parting ways with him.

He turned up in 2017 looking pretty out of shape and was generally average through the 2017 season.

I think you'll be better served with Lance and McGregor next season. If you're going to compromise by having a NZ 10 which isn't good for Australian rugby, he wouldn't be the guy I'd pick.

T

TOCC

Looks like a minor sponsorship, still well short of the significant revenue required.

At a minimum, from the rumoured finacial backing that was apparently promised, I’m expecting minimum 4-5 year naming rights sponsorship, flowing down to all levels including U20s and Juniors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the vic health thing is for womens sport, and its a partnership to help foster all womens sport in victoria. don't think there are many $$ in this particular deal for the Rebels. Vic health may of course become a major sponsor, along with tourism victoria, victorian major events corporation, etc etc.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Based on the information the press release there is nothing in it for the Rebels.

In regards to you point about other Vic Gov sponsors, as the Vic Gov has already bankrolled thee deal they might find that they will get Vic Gov words and logo with no extra money. It has high potential to restrict sponsor options and will be taking up advertising space.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So, we have a more unified board structure now. And a deputy chair. Seems quite qualified.

--

Victorian rugby has introduced a unified governance structure following the Victorian Rugby Union (VRU) board’s endorsement of the new Rebels’ board of directors on Monday.

The more integrated governance structure between professional and community rugby in Victoria will drive common goals and objectives on and off the field.

VRU and current Rebels’ Chairman, Tim North, said the new collaborative governance structure will kick-off a new era for the sport in Victoria.

“The VRU endorsement of the new Rebels board heralds a new beginning that will see a high level of collaboration between professional rugby and community rugby,” North said.

The VRU board has also endorsed the appointment of Rebels’ vice-chairman Paul Docherty to the VRU board, in a further move designed to ensure cohesion and common purpose between the Rebels and the Victorian rugby community.

Docherty said the club continues to strengthen its foundations for the future.

“Today’s announcement ushers in an exciting new era for the Melbourne Rebels and for rugby here in Victoria,” Docherty said.

“The recent appointment of David Wessels and the strengthening of the Rebels’ squad, following a number of experienced key signings, has established a powerful platform for on and off field success for the club.

“I’m delighted to contribute to Victorian rugby through the Rebels and VRU board, as I have a lifetime and history of experience in grassroots rugby in Victoria and Canberra.”

The Melbourne Rebels’ board will consist of the following personnel:

Tim North, Chairman
Paul Docherty, Vice-Chairman
Lyndsey Cattermole
Bob Dalziel
Owain Stone
Neil Hay
Gary Gray

The Melbourne Rebels’ board intends to appoint further directors in due course.

The Melbourne Rebels will kick-off its 2018 Super Rugby campaign at home against the Queensland Reds at AAMI Park on Friday 23 February from 7.30pm (AEST).

Paul Docherty Profile:

Paul Docherty is a well-regarded Melbourne businessman and entrepreneur. Docherty co-founded 3D medical printing company 3DMEDiTech, revolutionising the healthcare industry in Australia, in 2016. Formerly, Docherty was CEO of Direct Connect, after he founded one of Australia’s largest moving services company in 2004. Docherty attended Harvard’s renowned AMP Business Course in Boston in late 2015 and remains heavily involved in YPO, a global network of senior CEO’s and business owners, where he serves as the Melbourne Yarra Chairman.

On the rugby field, Docherty has represented the ACT at underage and senior levels with the ACT Schoolboys and Canberra Kookaburras. Docherty, who was selected for the Australian U17s in 1989, represented Australian Universities for four years before he moved to Melbourne, where he captained Melbourne University from 1995-1997. Docherty coached the Victorian Schoolboys side in 2005/6 and has been heavily involved in sponsorship and support of the Victorian rugby community for over 10 years. Currently, Docherty coaches his son’s U12s rugby team and has three boys playing local junior rugby.

Link: https://melbournerebels.com/2017/10/17/victorian-rugby-a-new-structure-for-a-new-era/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.