• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I suspect there's more to the Jones story than meets the eye. Very strange a french club letting a player come over and play an exhibition game in the middle of the season, outside of the int window. If i were a betting man, i'd be putting a sneaky few dollars on him turning up in Aus next season, maybe not for the Rebels but at a franchise. Perhaps Sunwolves??? on road to a return in 2019

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I suspect there's more to the Jones story than meets the eye. Very strange a french club letting a player come over and play an exhibition game in the middle of the season, outside of the int window. If i were a betting man, i'd be putting a sneaky few dollars on him turning up in Aus next season, maybe not for the Rebels but at a franchise. Perhaps Sunwolves??? on road to a return in 2019

He stated in the P&P article that it will only be Melbourne. He "loves the place", and frankly who can blame him? It could also be a means to flush out a decision from Adam Coleman. Seem to be taking him a while to sign for Melbourne, if that's where he intends to play in 2018. Jones could also be a replacement for Parling, if he elects to not continue with the Rebels after 2018.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Big announcements from Victorian Government and Rebels, including additional funding, Wallabies tests and Bledisloe/Lions fixtures.

Great way to end the week!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Big announcements from Victorian Government and Rebels, including additional funding, Wallabies tests and Bledisloe/Lions fixtures.

Great way to end the week!

THe article: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/39c80d4ca30242ab3bf2d2a7a11fdd5b
Some really good news on funding at the grassroots level. Take a look at the article. The snip...
The Victorian government today will announce a massive rugby union deal that will bring Test matches to Melbourne on an almost yearly basis, but which also targets grassroots rugby, in particular the Pacific Islander community. This was the deal that helped swing the Australian Rugby Union to support the Melbourne Rebels, leaving the Western Force to wither on the vine after being cut loose from Super Rugby. Annoyingly, though, the Victorian government is keeping the dollar value of the deal a secret, deeming it to be commercial in confidence.
Certainly the Western Australia government, which previously had volunteered to fast-track a $5 million commitment to the ARU for the 2019 Bledisloe Cup Test in Perth in order to save the Force, would surely have been highly interested in the Victorian figure. Initially, it was understood the Victorian government intended steering around $20 million into rugby to secure the Rebels’ safety, but this figure is understood to have been dramatically downgraded.
Some reports have indicated the figure is around $14 million. The high point of the new deal is the securing of six Melbourne Tests over the next eight years, starting with Ireland during the next June window. As well, Victoria has also secured the 2020 Bledisloe Cup match and a Test against the British and Irish Lions when next they tour Australia in 2025.
Edit: Sorry, HTML hella rusty, need my WYSIWYG editor back!

Reactions: daz

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
6 Wallabies tests in the next 8 years, Bled Cup in 2020 and BIL test in 2025. Clearly Vic Govt bankrolling the Rebels with John Eren and Luke Donnellan at the launch. Does anybody know thw details
Edit: Oztimmay you beat me to it

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the joint VRU/Rebels and VIc Govt Press release, the "Vicotorian/Melbourne Road Safety Rebels" ?????
Below is a joint statement from the Victorian Rugby Union (VRU) and Melbourne Rebels following the Victorian Government’s commitment to rugby in Victoria.

The Grassroots to Glory investment secures the future of rugby in Victoria and reinforces Melbourne as the sporting capital of Australia with the commitment to Super Rugby and six Wallabies Test matches over the next eight years, including a coveted British & Irish Lions Test and Bledisloe Cup Test.

Statement from Tim North QC (Quade Cooper), Victorian Rugby Union President and Melbourne Rebels Chairman:

The boards of the Victorian Rugby Union (VRU) and Melbourne Rebels, respectively, are thrilled with the Victorian Government’s commitment to the future of rugby in Victoria.

Grassroots to Glory ensures that rugby has a successful future on and off the field for all Victorians through investment in rugby facilities, rugby programs and a world-class events package to inspire the next generation of stars.

As an inclusive sport reflecting the diverse communities we live in, the VRU and Rebels are committed to nurturing the game of rugby in Victoria and fostering social cohesion.

Victorian rugby is one of the fastest growing participation regions in Australia, highlighted by a 97% increase in junior participation since the inception of the Melbourne Rebels in 2011, along with significant growth in our women’s and girl’s competitions, Masters rugby, Wheelchair Rugby and Melbourne Chargers. Total female participation in Victoria increased by 78% in 2016 and now represents 24% of total participation in the state, led by the VRU’s 7s program.

With the future secured, a united Victorian rugby can build on its impressive participation growth and assures a high performance pathway for home grown players from junior rugby to Super Rugby and Wallabies.

Currently seven local Victorians have progressed through the Victorian Elite Pathway and have a contract with the Melbourne Rebels, including Jordan Uelese, Rob Leota, Sione Tuipulotu, Trevor Hosea, Ah-Mu Tuimalealiifano, Ikapote Tupai & Fereti Sa’aga. There are a further two players, Wallaby Sefa Naivalu and Murray Douglas, who have progressed through the local Dewar Shield competition to play for the Melbourne Rebels.

We hope to inspire the next generation of players to follow in the footsteps of Jordan Uelese, who became the first Victorian to play for Australia after progressing through all of the VRU state teams to represent the Australian U20, Melbourne Rising, Melbourne Rebels and Wallabies in 2017.

With the support of the Victorian Government, we look forward to building on a rich Victorian rugby history spanning over 100 years with a new chapter for the sport.

On behalf of the VRU and the Melbourne Rebels, we thank Premier of Victoria, the Hon. Daniel Andrews; Treasure of Victoria, Tim Pallas MP (Moana Pasifika); Victorian Minister for Sport, Mr. John Eren MP (Moana Pasifika); Victorian Minster for Roads and Road Safety and State Member for Narre Warren North, Luke Donellan MP (Moana Pasifika); and the Victorian Government for their continued support of rugby in Victoria.

Statement from David Wessels, Head Coach Melbourne Rebels:

The strength and power of the Victorian Government announcement is a significant boost to our Melbourne Rebels as we embark on a new and exciting era for the club.

The swell of government and community support for the Melbourne Rebels and Victorian rugby since the club’s future was secured has provided us with the foundation to deliver successful outcomes on and off the field.

A fresh start and renewed community focus will underpin a new look Melbourne Rebels in 2018.

The Melbourne Rebels will only be as strong as the community behind it so we are commited to fulfilling our responsibility to help grow the game as a vehicle for participation and education programs.

The Rebels will work in tandem with the VRU to empower and educate Victoria’s diverse and inclusive communities through schools, community groups and diversity programs through rugby.

On the field, work is already underway to establish a world-class rugby program with the country’s top players and coaches to bring overdue success to the state.

We hope to inspire the next generations of home-grown players to follow in the footsteps of those local players who have recently paved the way for the stars of tomorrow.

As custodians of the Melbourne Rebels, we have the responsibility of delivering an exciting and successful brand of rugby that all Victorians can be proud of on the international stage through Super Rugby.

On behalf of the Melbourne Rebels players, staff and administrations, we thank the Victorian Government for their support and look forward to kicking off a new era in February 2018.

Reactions: daz

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the state govt press release in part

"Minister for Sport, Tourism and Major Events John Eren and Member for Narre Warren North Luke Donnellan joined the Victorian Rugby Union and the Melbourne Rebels at Fountain Gate Secondary College Rugby Academy today to announce $500,000 to upgrade one of its rugby pitches.

With more than 100 students in Fountain Gate’s Rugby Academy program, this upgrade will help cater for growth and deliver the playing and training facilities our talented athletes need to become Victoria’s next rugby great.

Today’s announcement builds on the Labor Government’s $200,000 commitment to upgrade the Academy’s strength and conditioning room."

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Just as an FYI to tie two current discussions together, I noticed that Luke Jones was watching the Rebels/Vic Gov announcement live on Instagram.
Haha good scoop!

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
And with the Melbourne Rebels Board signing up Gary Gray as a director we are back to the old gang:
North
Gray
Dalziel
Cattermole
Stone
Docherty
Hay

What could possibly go wrong with this crew? After all at least half of them, so the majority vote, were on the MRRU Board that pushed for the sale of the Rebels to Andrew Cox just two years ago. What have they got planned now? Who owns unit trusts in the new club? Get out the popcorn folks this is a train wreck in slow mo

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
And with the Melbourne Rebels Board signing up Gary Gray as a director we are back to the old gang:
North
Gray
Dalziel
Cattermole
Stone
Docherty
Hay

What could possibly go wrong with this crew? After all at least half of them, so the majority vote, were on the MRRU Board that pushed for the sale of the Rebels to Andrew Cox just two years ago. What have they got planned now? Who owns unit trusts in the new club? Get out the popcorn folks this is a train wreck in slow mo

yes i worry too about Gray in particular, but as you rightly point out north, dalziel and cattermole have form

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
the fish rots from the head mate, so if the Board are rotten, forget about the body - nothing good can come from this Board - we've been here before and it stinks

T

TOCC

So what tangible outcomes have come from this Vic Govt partnership?

Funding for Wallaby tests is for the Australian Rugby as a whole, not the Rebels, so I find it strange that comes as part of the package. Where’s the financial support which will ensure the economic feasibility of the Rebels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

B

BLR

So what tangible outcomes have come from this Vic Govt partnership?

Funding for Wallaby tests is for the Australian Rugby as a whole, not the Rebels, so I find it strange that comes as part of the package. Where’s the financial support which will ensure the economic feasibility of the Rebels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Confidentially commercial details aka dodgy brothers being dodgy as usual.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, if all the ex-Force signings come to be, then it it obvious to me that the ARU never wanted the Force to disappear, just to relocate to Melbourne in an effort to stop the financial bleeding down South.

B

BLR

Well, if all the ex-Force signings come to be, then it it obvious to me that the ARU never wanted the Force to disappear, just to relocate to Melbourne in an effort to stop the financial bleeding down South.

I still don't understand how giving a consistently in the red franchise more resources will ever turn them around without a plan to do so, it seems such bad business.

Status
Not open for further replies.