• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thorn obviously thought he wouldn't fit the Reds culture. That doesn't mean he's not a great guy.

There is actually nothing from Thorn's public image to back up this statement. Empty, zilch. But what he did do very publically was trash the commercial worth of a fundamental QRU asset. I cant think of any other industry where this behaviour would result in the bloke's (Thorn) continued employment.

In the mean time, Sully, Quade is being Quade, which almost accidentally results in what ever his club is, picking up unexpected benefits.

Reds loss. Palpable.

Rebels benefit. Undeniable.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I do love Quade and it's great he's been picked up by the Rebels. But that video was filmed by his mate, so think it might have been a bit more of a stunt than it seems. Whatever the reasons though, good deed that has garnered good reception, 10 points Quade. Good on him.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Though he does some pretty genuine these days:
fljwo6ftzhg21.jpg

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I do love Quade and it's great he's been picked up by the Rebels. But that video was filmed by his mate, so think it might have been a bit more of a stunt than it seems. Whatever the reasons though, good deed that has garnered good reception, 10 points Quade. Good on him.

Kind act......... definite media stunt.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kind act... definite media stunt.

From the article probably not (hence the footage only shows the end of it).

Apparently they were walking down the street & his mate was WTF has Quade gone?? Turned around & saw this so whipped the camera out....

Publicity stunt or not, it's a much better video than playing a vacuum, smiling over a tray of white powder or jumping on cars & trashing street signs (or even pinching laptops....)

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Quade seems like a nice guy but I can’t help but think he’s gone out of his way with the nice guy act to spite Thorn et al. who questioned his character.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Did Thorn really ever question Cooper's character?

It seemed to me he made a decision that the way to rebuild the Reds was not with Cooper at fly half and also acknowledged that he didn't see him as being part of the group going forward.

For someone who was such a central figure at the Reds, I don't think it would have really worked to have Cooper as part of that squad without deciding he was in your matchday 23.

Whether or not that was the right decision for the Reds is another question entirely but Thorn made it and the Reds bureaucracy supported that decision.

Hopefully a fresh start at the Rebels with a talented squad around him gives Cooper everything he needs to find his best form again.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Thorn was questioned relentlessly to clarify the Cooper scenario and failed on every occasion offered to clear character, laziness and disruption chatter that’s was encouraged through these actions. I can’t see that this was anything but intentional.

The Refs bureaucracy was certainly complicit but we were running with the absence of a CEO and an acting role who was specifically involved in the decision to bring Thorn through to HC.

The issue is not simply did Quade fit the new team intentions, but what you do as an HC (and HQ) to protect your investment once you’ve determined to move it on.

@BH I can only agree with your final para. Quade now needs to prove himself up on the field. It’s a big call that might not work but where he has every chance. Viva la change.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think for a second that Thorn and the Reds handled it particularly well but I also don't think there was a great way to handle it better.

Reds fans who almost unanimously supported Cooper and wanted him playing 10 for the Reds and were looking for Thorn to say that there was some character or behavioural problem with Cooper to justify the fact that he wasn't being selected.

Clearly that was never the case and so it was seen as obfuscating to not have a better reason that they had decided he wasn't part of the squad moving forward.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Hoping Cooper and Meakes can form the sort of partnership Cooper and Ant Finger formed in the Reds' golden year. Front 3 a bit of a concern however up against a strong Brumbies front row

Meakes at 12 and Koroibete inside does make me think back to Quade with Ant and Digby at the Reds, options off each shoulder so he could make plays and threaten the line. Ben Taps has a pro career based off Quade making him look amazing. Only issue is Quade has lost the step and might be a bit slower than he was in the past.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Meakes at 12 and Koroibete inside does make me think back to Quade with Ant and Digby at the Reds, options off each shoulder so he could make plays and threaten the line. Ben Taps has a pro career based off Quade making him look amazing. Only issue is Quade has lost the step and might be a bit slower than he was in the past.

But no one in Australian rugby can throw a pass like he can

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Is Unicef a sponsor or are the club using their jersey to promote a good cause? I think it might be a great use of a bad situation (Not having a jersey sponsor)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This is a Rebels thread and rehashing Reds history..... Again, is not on. Let it go.

Status
Not open for further replies.