• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Looks like Sione Tuipulotu (a Victorian aargh) may be out the door. Reece Hodge posted a photo with Sione at Frankston Pier on Instagram with the following comment:

"Been a pleasure my boy! We've made some seriously good memories together and I've got huge expectations for the rest of the rugby journey ahead of you."

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Looks like Sione Tuipulotu (a Victorian aargh) may be out the door. Reece Hodge posted a photo with Sione at Frankston Pier on Instagram with the following comment:

"Been a pleasure my boy! We've made some seriously good memories together and I've got huge expectations for the rest of the rugby journey ahead of you."

He'll come back, hopefully a better player. Never particularly rated him, too small and doesn't have a very good passing game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I could be wrong.. but I think You can do both as the second division doesn’t align/overlap super rugby?
Maybe Quade could also do both?
The Japanese season from next year will now collide with Super Rugby. It basically means the end of dual contracts which as we are seeing is creating a tidal wave towards the cash in Japan.

Sad to see Tuipulotu go, I have big wraps on him. Just like with Debreczini, I hope he thrives in the right environment.

GoMelbRebels

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Seriously, all this talk of players leaving the Rebels on bad terms. I would argue the same is true of players from the Reds, Waratahs and Brumbies. Why? Because they were no longer wanted / needed, of course they are disgruntled. This is professional sport. Like it or not, tough decisions have to be made. And Luke Jones only coming back to the Rebels because they can get free babysitters. Are you drinking from the same fountain as the village idiot?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seriously, all this talk of players leaving the Rebels on bad terms. I would argue the same is true of players from the Reds, Waratahs and Brumbies. Why? Because they were no longer wanted / needed, of course they are disgruntled. This is professional sport. Like it or not, tough decisions have to be made. And Luke Jones only coming back to the Rebels because they can get free babysitters. Are you drinking from the same fountain as the village idiot?
Agreed mate. I know as a fact much of this speculation is a load of shit. Why do people say this stuff??? Yes there has been unceremonious departures (just like every work place I have ever worked in), but the majority has been mutual understanding of where they are in their careers and also the Rebels equally allowing people to take up offer elsewhere.

It’s all very 16yr old teenage play yard speculation. Given the situation surrounding the game as a whole, we don’t need any more fake press out there that is already going around. It just creates extra fury which is killing the game and distracts the (often lazy) media and officials from actually adhering to the issues that are actually true. Primarily because the facts are so lost in the hyperbole these days. There is a shit load to fix in the game, but we don’t need to be fixing imaginary or creating issues that aren’t there that just damage the club/game/etc.

Reactions: Tex

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Neither did Nonu at Sione's age.

Neither did I, does that mean I'll be the next Nonu?
I'll eat my hat if Sione turns out to be half as good as Nonu. Good luck to the man, I think moving away is the right thing for him, he doesn't seem to be growing at the Rebels after 5 years with them.

Rug&tug

Stan Wickham (3)
The Japanese season from next year will now collide with Super Rugby. It basically means the end of dual contracts which as we are seeing is creating a tidal wave towards the cash in Japan.

I know that's the case for the Japan top league but is it the same for the second division? I think they only play 10 games or so?
Tom English has signed for a team in the second div and im almost certain he said he would still be available for super rugby.
presume the same would apply for Nick Stiles? Either way, I'm sure we will find out in due course.

In the presser Wessels mentioned us being in negotiations to bring in some experienced players. Anyone have thoughts on who?
There doesn't seem to be many available/uncontracted? Nic White is the obvious one. Maybe someone like Holloway? Zack Holmes? I suppose its asking too much for Michael Ala'alatoa to come back if he doesn't make the A.B'S Squad?

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Neither did I, does that mean I'll be the next Nonu?
I'll eat my hat if Sione turns out to be half as good as Nonu. Good luck to the man, I think moving away is the right thing for him, he doesn't seem to be growing at the Rebels after 5 years with them.

I was merely pointing out that when Nonu was Sione's age no one would have expected him to be as good as he is now. If Sione can work at it and become half as good as Nonu then he'll be a very good player. He just needs the right coaches and players around him to make it happen.

I agree that some time away will do good.

S

Show-n-go

Holmes is doubtful, he is old and more than likely won’t get a wallabies gig so what’s the point? Stay where you are and take in the cash

If big Mike doesn’t play for AB’s which is very likely, surely Samoa will pick him up meaning no super contract with an Aussie side

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't know if it's been posted already but Talakai is also going to Japan.
You'd imagine the Rebels have a prop or three waiting to be announced.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
We've got 6 props on the books already (Pone, Fereti, Erasmus, Gibbon, Ainsley & Faulkner) if all of the remaining guys from this year are retained.

I have my own opinions on several of those players re their overall quality and match day selection, but I can't imagine we'd be better off with any other players likely to be available to us unless we're getting a Greg Holmes or Mike Ala'alatoa.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reactions: dru

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
There has been talk about this for a couple of years. It wouldn’t surprise me if he remains this season but beyond expect to see him in blue with his mate Angus moving to the Tahs post his NRL contract.

I see RA has dismissed the stupid clickbait talk about reducing teams. So let’s put any of that talk to bed.

I see Andrew Kellaway has been released by Northampton, maybe he on his way to the Waratahs to replace Izzy