• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
Professional sport is a cut throat environment, the players who came from Perth have all been "upgrades"

So who is responsible for the mistreatment of players? This sort of approach isn't going to encourage players to join you or stay so you only get those who are desperate for a gig.

Here's a few I can think of, and I don't think Weeks was ready to hang up the boots so threw him into the mix

Pyle
Neville
Meehan
Stirzaker
JD
Placid
Smith
Higgers
Weeks
Crawford
Siddey
Kingston
Hegarty
Fugistaller

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
^^^^
No the Board is substantially different, the private owners are gone and there is a new chairman and a couple of new members. The direction could well be the same. Rebel Yell's implication that those on higher salaries or about to be, were moved on to keep costs down.

Catermole, Dalziel have been on the board since 2015 and remained as advisors during Cox's time. North, Swaine, Hay and Gray have been around since pre Cox and are back again post Cox. Docherty is the only new board member

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Catermole, Dalziel have been on the board since 2015 and remained as advisors during Cox's time. North, Swaine, Hay and Gray have been around since pre Cox and are back again post Cox. Docherty is the only new board member

i will stand corrected then, i thought as well as Paul D there were newer members, unaware that Swaine and Hay are rehashed from the old days

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Looking to the future, 2021, not playing the Sunwolves twice in a season will (imo) drag down our win/loss ratio.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Quade confirmed off to Japan.

Emotionally speaking, good. He was more often than not key to our worst moments on the field. A couple of great combinations early in the season, but regularly fucked up with pointless globetrotter passes and brain fades.

Pragmatically speaking, good. We got him on a 50% contract and his performances don't justify the huge outlay when it would mean losing, hypothetically speaking, a Dick Hardwick and Billy Meakes, who won't command a Wallaby top-up but arguably add more to the club on and off the field.

Good luck to Quade on his next career evolution.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah it's not the end of the world, I like Quade a lot but he hasn't been worth it for years now. I was excited for him to come down and wish him all the best, seems like a genuinely well meaning bloke.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
I wonder if Quade leaving will have any bearing on the Genia situation?

The ongoing lack of continuity in the roster makes it hard to build a team.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
TBH, I always saw them as short term contracts - RA would never have given them long term contracts as both are on the back end of their careers.

We're hard up on cash as well, Let's spend the money on a top level DoR to support Wessels

The same article saying Quade is leaving says that Genia will be teammates with him next season in Japan.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
TBH, I always saw them as short term contracts - RA would never have given them long term contracts as both are on the back end of their careers.

We're hard up on cash as well, Let's spend the money on a top level DoR to support Wessels

Agree, but DOR and players salary are separate

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
The same article saying Quade is leaving says that Genia will be teammates with him next season in Japan.
Is that the SMH article?

Cooper is also in advanced talks to link up with Will Genia at second division club Kintetsu Liners, where their former Reds coach Nick Stiles is in charge.
Neither player has signed but their intentions appear clear. Both are off contract with their Super Rugby teams and have played more than 60 Tests, making them eligible for Wallabies selection from anywhere in the world.

This bit though:

Genia is believed to have decided on Kintetsu after protracted talks with Rugby Australia and the Rebels. The Wallabies veteran, who played his 100th Test at Twickenham last year, wanted a two-year deal, but RA's best offer was 18 months.

Seems weird that RA would only want to sign Genia for 18 months (unless he's asking for an outrageous amount).