• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Not sure why all the Rebels that missed the Wallabies squad aren’t playing. We should be putting our strongest 15 on the park for the betterment of the comp and to give ourselves our best chance of winning. We could of had a starting 15 of *snip

Agree 100%. We should be giving it a real crack and trying to win the comp.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Here is a key takeaway -->

I thought the guy at the end could have slipped in a little plug for G&GR ;)

Lol, in the guy at the end's defence not everything the guy at the end said was included in the video. *

* N.B. The guy at the end did not say anything about G&GR on camera.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not sure why all the Rebels that missed the Wallabies squad aren’t playing. We should be putting our strongest 15 on the park for the betterment of the comp and to give ourselves our best chance of winning. We could of had a starting 15 of
1 Sa’aga
2 Rangi
3 Fa’amausili
4 Phillip
5 Ha’angana
6 Leota
7 Hardwick
8 Cottrell
9 Goddard
10 Moloney
11 Tupou
12 Meakes
13 Magnay
14 Maddocks
15 Masters
2000%

I get why a few blokes are playing in other comps, mainly for financial reasons. But the rest should be building some momentum and combinations for next season. It’s such a missed opportunity. It would also drive higher standards within the club and the comp. Opportunities always come to fringe players with injuries and wallabies call ups.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't that that many are in other comps? Most of them are in the Rising squad, just not selected this weekend (Maddocks injured) However I do find it hard to believe that these guys are all also injured: Ainsley, Cottrell, Hardwick, Leota

It's Goddard, Magnay and Meakes who are not in any teams are far as I can tell.

With no Japanese season atm, it is only Euro WC cover, ITM Cup and NRC available.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Sneak peak of the schedule for 2020. From the membership update e-mail sent out this afternoon.

Our 2020 draw has recently been finalised by SANZAAR, and whilst we are not yet in a position to release the full fixture just yet we are happy to share with our members that our first home game of 2020 will be against the Waratahs, with various “10 Year” initiative planned including a special one-off jersey to be worn by the players featuring the names of all renewed Rebels Foundation Members! We are also looking forward to the long awaited return of the back-to-back champion Crusaders to Melbourne and our first ANZAC eve match against the Blues on Friday 24 April at the Stockade.

Waratah fans, i'll see you for February Beers in Melbourne :)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
More Force shuffling to Melbun …

Three signings bolster Melbourne Rebels’ playmaking ranks
WAYNE SMITH​
SEPTEMBER 3, 2019​
The mainstay of the Western Force’s Global Rapid Rugby and National Rugby Championship sides, five-eighth Andrew Deegan, has signed for Melbourne Rebels for next season.​
The 24-year-old from Sydney is one of three prize signings, with former Force No 9 Ryan Louwrens returning from the Kintetsu Liners in Japan to once again join forces with Rebels coach Dave Wessels — his previous coach in Perth — while James Tuttle, who was let go by the Reds at the end of this season after rupturing his achilles tendon late in 2018, will provide tough competition for him for the halfback role.​
Wessels is a favourite son in Perth where he performed wonders for the Force as coach of their Super Rugby side in their final year, 2017, but he might find himself a little less popular after signing Deegan, who has been the star of Andrew Forrest’s GRR team. Still, the former Australian schoolboys and Australian under-20 five-eighth looks a born playmaker and was even discussed as a possible inclusion in the Wallabies squad this season.​
Tuttle looked to be settling in for a long stint at the Reds, battling with Moses Sorovi for the No 9 jersey, before suffering the achilles injury just before the NRC final against the Fijian Drua. In his absence, Tate McDermott stormed through to grab the Queensland position, while Sorovi now is battling with new Samoan World Cup halfback Scott Malolua.​
Louwrens, who played 19 games for the Force in Super Rugby, was one of the players most affected by their culling. The South African-born halfback was squeezed out by Ruru in the stampede to the Melbourne Rebels and was forced to head for Japan. Now, at the age of 28, he will be looking to make up for lost time in Victoria.​

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
3 good signings - both good for the Rebels, and signings of guys I am happy to see getting a contract in super rugby.

Especially happy for James Tuttle. Injury can be cruel but hopefully he has had all his bad luck now. I really hope he has a great year next year.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Lomani, Louwrens and Tuttle, perhaps a sign Goddard is going to the 7's program.

ps of course the Rebels tried unsuccessfully to get Louwrens a few years ago before he signed with the Force.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
They're great signings, really happy with Tuttle & Deegan. Deegan seems to be making waves out west and now has a pole position on Gold 10 as everybody buggers off overseas.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Tuttle is an outstanding signing. Glad he has been picked up by someone in Australia.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
I'm very happy with these signings. Some great talent coming to Melbourne.

Guess that means White isn't coming to Melbourne, and Goddard will do a stint in the 7's for Olympic glory.

According to Scooter, we're also signing two international front-row forwards? Let the speculation begin.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Those are 3 very astute signings by the Rebels. Great list management.

I'm particularly pumped for Bobby Tuttle. I was so disappointed for him that his injuries killed his Reds career (and would have preferred a fit Tuttle to either Sorovi or Malolua) but that's footy I guess. If his body holds up, I expect him to come into his own down in Mexico.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)

Guess that means White isn't coming to Melbourne, and Goddard will do a stint in the 7's for Olympic glory.

According to Scooter, we're also signing two international front-row forwards? Let the speculation begin.

Obviously tongue in cheek but wouldn't mind seeing big Paulie Alo-Emile back from France

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

Really? At the expense of whom I wonder.

Current Front Row forwards (I'm sure erasmus will be moved on)
1. Saaga, Faulkner, Gibbon
2. Uelese, Rangi, Roach
3. Ainsley, Faamausili, Erasmus

Development - Uelese

And by International does that mean playing at an international level, or someone from a different country?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saaga is the only prop there you'd invest in I reckon. Some good back up but could do a lot better

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I went back to Scooter's post and he said "tight 5 forward"..........

Still, some questions -

- International as in Australian eligible but playing overseas?
- International foreign marquee import not eligible?

And if it's the latter, then my follow up question is............ are we still allowed foreign imports after the Force were cut?

I recall RA were going to get rid of those contracts as they're no longer required, and I would add that none of the Australian teams should be signing any foreign marquee players with only four teams.