• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Any sign of Luke Jones?
Mr W, i asked them at training this morning, Luke has finished up at the Rebs, back to France next week. Everyone else seemed to be on the pitch or warming up, the only two i definitely didn"t see were the "The Big K" and Sa'aga but i wasnt looking especially for Fereti.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Mr W, i asked them at training this morning, Luke has finished up at the Rebs, back to France next week. Everyone else seemed to be on the pitch or warming up, the only two i definitely didn"t see were the "The Big K" and Sa'aga but i wasnt looking especially for Fereti.

That's a shame re: Luke Jones. He is a Rebels legend. Luke, good luck back in France.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
No that interesting, anyone can leave, it's getting in that requires quarantine.

complete aside from the Rebels chat, so I can go on holiday wherever that will let me in (say Greece), then just quarantine when I come back? I heard you had to apply for a permit to leave.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Evening everyone one 1st time long time, just wanna say cant wait to be one of the 7250 at aami park on july 10 if dan lets us back.

ps opening up my club logo to any club that can let me know where I can get a rebel away jersey with the hoops but will settle for a beer or pie in aug when I can watch a club game as I cant go watch my afl local team anymore

go rebels

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Too be honest, I don't see him as a loss to Aussie rugby. He is a pillow, he isn't up to super rugby standards.

On the other hand, Lomax was a big loss..
History shows likely to be a success in nz now - the other kiwi prop who never made much of it at the tahs and now an all black springs to mind

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Funny how sponsorship works. Rebels' previous partners never really were appropriate for me. I can get around beer a lot easier than mutual funds, probiotics and tractors. I've just ordered a slab of that Rebels beer will look out for bricklane whenever I'm at the bottle-o. Simples.

With a can like this I am sure to buy some, would prefer a type of Ale but need at least a couple on the shelf for display.
1587513886478dddfgtt-350-937.jpg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
With a can like this I am sure to buy some, would prefer a type of Ale but need at least a couple on the shelf for display.
1587513886478dddfgtt-350-937.jpg

Looks good doesn't it. Not the cheapest beer especially with shipping but hopefully they get some good revenue from Rebels fans. I'm getting ready to have some on ice for round 1.

elementfreak

Trevor Allan (34)
Fereti Sa'aga has retired.

https://melbournerebels.rugby/news/...nuz8nAqOdnyV5nA6_OtFQJzJQuw3Fm8JiyWqv_7l9loBo
The Melbourne Rebels have bid farewell to one of their favourite sons, with local born and bred prop Fereti Sa’aga announcing his retirement from professional rugby to his teammates and coaches last week at the Club.

The popular front rower says while he’s cherished his time at the Stockade and representing his home town, he has made the difficult decision entirely of his own accord to resign from the contract he had in place with the Rebels through to the end of 2022.
Sa’aga, a loving and dedicated husband and father of four, has developed and matured into a core member of the Rebels playing squad in recent years and has been wrestling with the balance of his rugby and faith (Seventh Day Adventist) in his life over the last 18 months.
He said he felt at peace to be ending his professional career to focus more upon his family and faith.
Sa’aga retires having been part of a very special first wave of local “Burn City” representatives to graduate to Super Rugby.
A product of the Northern Panthers and Melbourne University clubs, Sa’aga was a part of the inaugural Melbourne Rising NRC squad in 2014, before making his Rebels debut against the Hurricanes in Wellington in 2017.
“It was super special – becoming a Rebel was always a goal I set out to achieve when I left school,” says Sa’aga.
“It’s just an incredible feeling to be part of history being one of the first local boys to put on the jersey and represent the city.
“It’s also special, when thinking of all the players who are part of the rugby community that aspire to be a professional athlete - it means a lot to me and it’s truly a blessing.”
“Thank you so much for the cooperation of the Melbourne Rebels, it has been a smooth transition for me (to retirement). Thank you so much to the fans, and all my coaches, and my friends and family who have been with me along this journey, since day dot.”
Sa’aga would go on to play 25 Super Rugby games across three seasons for the Rebels, with his fondest memory coming from the famous last-minute win (19-17) over the Brumbies at AAMI Park in 2017.
“It was my first season and I had managed to put a couple of games together for the start of my career, and to be able to finally play at home in Melbourne, it was pretty special and definitely one of my favourite memories,” he recounts.
While he has always “stuck really tight with his Melbourne boys” which included Rob Leota, Jordan Uelese and Pone-Fa’amausili, Sa’aga paid tribute to a handful of past and present players who have influenced his development during the early stages of his career.
“When I first started, Jordy Reid was someone who took me under his wing and picked me up from my place and took me to training when we were at Visy Park. I would never tell him this, but I was always starstruck every time he would offer me a ride,’ he laughs.
“Guys like Pat Leafa as well; even the boys today like Gus Cottrell and Tom English, they were the guys that helped me out early on.”
“Anaru Rangi who was another one who helped me understand what it was like to lead by example on and off the field, so he was one of the crucial guys for me as well.”
Sa’aga’s announcement was a surprise for many players within the Rebels squad, but for those who know him well, it was another sign of the strength and dedication that defines Fereti’s character and has contributed to the player and man he has become.
Melbourne Rebels CEO Baden Stephenson led the Club’s recruitment of Sa’aga several years ago and acknowledged that this has been an evolving process.
“Fereti has been a real trail blazer for the Rebels and he has been a great role model young Melburnians. We are very proud of the player and person that he has become and he will always be a special part of our Club,’ said Stephenson.
“This is obviously a very unique situation and Fereti has been really open with us over the last year with his feelings towards his rugby and his faith. I know from speaking with him that he has a sense of peace having made this decision and that he can move forward knowing that he can fully serve his faith and respect the seventh day, which had been playing on his mind.
"As a Club, we have supported and been flexible with Fereti and he was certainly a part of our plans for the next couple of years. At the same time we absolutely respect his wishes and this very sincere decision that he has made.”
Reflecting upon his own Victorian rugby experience, Sa’aga says the greatest change he’s seen has been Rugby Victoria’s commitment to growing the women’s game; something which he’s been thrilled to see.
“Just seeing how important it is and the impact it has had for women in rugby to play and experience the camaraderie, putting on that jersey and representing your team, it’s been huge.”“Seeing not only the girls but my sister and my two cousins that were involved in the (Super-W) team, seeing the joy in their faces and what rugby brings, it just speaks volumes and shows just how far Victorian rugby has come.”
“There’s been massive improvements and while there’s still a long way to go, it’s looking in good stead.”

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^Hard to practice his religion and play rugby, Sabbath from Sunset Friday to Sunset Saturday.

Good Luck, hope we get some extra Saturday night and Sunday games for you to support.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There you go. Sad to see him leave but he'll be much happier now. Shame 'cause he could've played another 100 Rebels games easily and he's a devoted Melbournian.

I went to school with Fereti and occasionally played loosehead with him in the front row though he was primarily an 8 back then. Nicest guy, definition of a gentle giant. His dad is also a great coach and pretty well renowned across Vic. Hopefully we see the youngest Sa'aga sometime.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
His younger brother Alex is a promising prop, was in the Aus 20s wider squad for this year. Jordan Uelese’s younger brother Junior is another good young prospect, he moved to NZ for the last couple of years of high school to for its rugby program. Back in Aus now he’s finished and been training with the squad as an extra during the offseason. Another prop.

Forwards seem to be what the system down here is most likely to develop.

Shame about Sa’aga. His injury issues last year came at a bad time when he had a solid season the year before.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Short answer, yes.

Juniors go back on July 11. Some matches played over school holidays to make up for lost time.

Kids have been training non-contact for a few weeks. Start contact training next week.

Thank you, might pass on going to watch an u/14's game with a beer in my hand at about 10 in the morning haha