• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2020

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I’m a hodge fan on the wing, his strike rate at international and Super Rugby level is very impressive. His biggest issues are his defensive reads (not a bad tackler but gets caught in no mans land at least once a game) but also needs some softer hands. I don’t feel very safe with him under the high ball and also part of the reason why he would never be a constant 12.

Honestly think he’d be best modeling himself as a Rob Horne style wing.

B

Bobby Sands

Brad Wilkin, is a pretty unusual story. He was a genuine schoolboy prodigy that came from outside the GPS competition, but was originally from the Bush in NSW. Stuck behind Liam Gill he joined the Sevens program and then the Tahs. At every juncture he has been tipped for great things but he just keeps getting pulled back because of injury. Last night was a glimpse. If he stays healthy he is an absolute genius and will out perform most 7s he plays against.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The rebels now and again produce the sort of performance like they did against the brumbies last night but we are still waiting for them to produce that sort of performance consistently which the irony is the side they beat last night is probably the only oz super rugby team that does produce consistently to a high standard.

But while the backs till last night have not gelled or shown cohesion which the nucleus of Lomani - deegan - To’omua showed last night I have to say given loss of big name forwards and lot of lesser known forward the rebels forward pack and tight five has been impressive. Assume lot of credit goes to Geoff Parling as forwards coach.

Anyhow one keeps hoping games like rebels showed last night might be a turning point for them consistently delivering this sort of performance but we shall wait and see as had a lot of false dawns but will say at least some real new gems been found in the Rebels tight five - in particular in prop and lock department.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Brad Wilkin, is a pretty unusual story. He was a genuine schoolboy prodigy that came from outside the GPS competition, but was originally from the Bush in NSW. Stuck behind Liam Gill he joined the Sevens program and then the Tahs. At every juncture he has been tipped for great things but he just keeps getting pulled back because of injury. Last night was a glimpse. If he stays healthy he is an absolute genius and will out perform most 7s he plays against.

Yeh Wilkins had cruel run with injuries with 3 knee reconstructions which would have killed most sporting careers - such a shame injuries prevent players like him and Petai fulifilling their potential - fingers crossed both these players can stay injury free as they deserve a break after horrific injury record

B

Bobby Sands

The rebels now and again produce the sort of performance like they did against the brumbies last night but we are still waiting for them to produce that sort of performance consistently which the irony is the side they near last night is probably the only o super rugby team that does produce consistently to a high standard.

But while the backs till last night have not gelled or shown cohesion which the nucleus of Lomani - deegan - To’omua showed last night I have to say given loss of big name forwards and lot of lesser known forward the rebels forward pack and tight five has been impressive. Assume lot of credit goes to Geoff Parling as forwards coach.

Anyhow one keeps hoping games like rebels showed last night might be a turning point for them consistently delivering this sort of performance but we shall wait and see as had a lot of false dawns but will say at least some real new gems been found in the Rebels tight five - in particular in prop and lock department.

Yep, it was great and I have been dirty on the Rebels too - but last night I realised players like Philip and Wilkin would probably have not been given opportunities in other franchises and could play for Australia.

The consistency is a real thing though, and I don't think their coach is an actual rugby coach - but regardless more of last night please. You have breathed fresh life into the competition.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yep, it was great and I have been dirty on the Rebels too - but last night I realised players like Philip and Wilkin would probably have not been given opportunities in other franchises and could play for Australia.
That's it isn't it. As you say if QLD/NSW didn't have to support three other teams they'd be incredible but those players would've overseas, not wait dutifully in QPR. QLD's sacrifice is Australia's gain.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

The consistency is a real thing though, and I don't think their coach is an actual rugby coach - but regardless more of last night please. You have breathed fresh life into the competition.
Philip surely has a lock on a Wallabies spot by now.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
The rebels now and again produce the sort of performance like they did against the brumbies last night but we are still waiting for them to produce that sort of performance consistently which the irony is the side they beat last night is probably the only oz super rugby team that does produce consistently to a high standard.

this has been my biggest beef over the 10 years, inconsistency and a lot of very dumb on and off field decisions, often from supposedly "smart" rugby people, too many false dawns. i have heard a lot of mea culpas from Wessels, but have not seen too many "learnings", as yet. Hopefully they really have turned the corner. Agree that Parling has done a great job of gelling a cohesive forward pack.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Agree that Parling has done a great job of gelling a cohesive forward pack.

Last year he turned our line out around, this year he has fixed the scrum. The guy needs another 3 year contract to see what he can do with a pack of his own making.

Orr really impressed me with his work off the ball, was running around like a flanker to the break downs. Really stood out as one of the fittest props I have seen in a long time

Also sorry DHP, but To'omua is such a natural captain and leader. Also closer the the Ref to helps big time.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Agree Kev, Orr was great. He did a slot on the fox podcast and came across as a very thoughtful young man. Did a good learning stint in the UK with his head stuck in muddy scrums. In fact, against the Wallabies front row I thought our lads were excellent if not dominant. A great game to watch.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Great stat Scott! Do you have a list of the Top 20? Be fascinating to see.

RebelYell thanks, please find below a list of top 20 of Super Rugby games played for Melbourne Rebels:
1. Tom English 97 (shame he is stuck in Melbourne, desreves to be 1st Rebel to 100)
2. Luke Jones 88
3. Laurie Weeks 86
4. Mitch Inman 81
5. Colby Fainga'a 66
6. Reece Hodge 65 (due to move to equal 5th this week)
7. Nic Stirzaker 60
8. Hugh Pyle 57
9. Jack Debreczeni 54
10. Marika Koroibete 52
11. Pat Leafa 51
Eq 12. Paul Alo-Emile, Scott Fuglistaller, Toby Smith, Lopeti Timani 50
16. Lachlan Mitchell 49
17. Cadeyrn Neville 48
18. Nick Phipps 47
Eq. 19 Sean McMahon, Sefanaia Naivalu and Ged Robinson 46

That is based on my own stats so may not be 100% correct, but will be pretty close.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
*snip
1. Tom English 97 (shame he is stuck in Melbourne, desreves to be 1st Rebel to 100)
*snip

I've heard mention that some players, including RH-P and Cotterell, would be joining the squad once they've served their quarantine. Anyone know whether English is doing the same?

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
I've heard mention that some players, including RH-P and Cotterell, would be joining the squad once they've served their quarantine. Anyone know whether English is doing the same?

Cotterell was able to move upto QLD and quarantine cause it's his home state and his a returning resident, RHP and English have not been able to.