• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2021

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
1. Toby Smith
2. Shota Horie
3. Weeks/PAE
4. Hugh Pyle
5. Luke Jones
6. Sean McMahon
7. Colby Fainga'a
8. Scott Higginbotham
16. Pat Leafa
17. PAE/Weeks
18. Neville
19. Sam Jeffries
20. Lopeti Timani
21. Jordy Reid/Fuglistaller

Good depth there.

Yep. Took a couple of those another 12 months to come on from 2014, but plenty to like about it and they did get some good results in that (one in Christchurch I particularly enjoyed in '15)

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
What happened to Hodge I left as soon as the kick missed

Anstee came in for the charge down attempt on Hodge's drop goal attempt and fell across Hodge's leg.

Can't see Hodge playing next week (or for a number of weeks) and To'omua off with concussion could miss next week too. Our backline could look different, pity we haven't given Gordon some time off the bench already.

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Anyone have any inside word on George Worth? What is the likelihood of Worth getting game time next week particularly if Hodge is out?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anstee came in for the charge down attempt on Hodge's drop goal attempt and fell across Hodge's leg.

Can't see Hodge playing next week (or for a number of weeks) and To'omua off with concussion could miss next week too. Our backline could look different, pity we haven't given Gordon some time off the bench already.

Has he even been training with the squad?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Why do we always play so poorly against the Force. You watch we will go into the final round game against the Tahs needing to win to play finals and they will upset us.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Will repeat what I said in the match thread. The team looks like it’s trying to prove it can score try’s instead of just applying scoreboard pressure. As a fan I’d much prefer if they win 24-6 through penalties than lose 19-21 trying to throw the ball around. They aren’t good enough to win by outplaying sides but they sure can outsmart sides. Tonight they could of been comfortably up with 15 to go by playing in the right ends of the park against a team that offered absolutely nothing. However they tried to be pretty by passing the ball around in their own end and gave up territory to a team that didn’t look capable of getting it any other way. Brain dead is the obvious description for the style of play.

When will teams realise try’s will come when you are up 18-6 with 20mins to go and the opposition is playing the brain dead rugby to try and turn things around? If the Rebels (Australian rugby) figure this out then they will be considerably better for it

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
This is same rebels we seem to see every season under Wessels which is talented bunch of individuals but as as a team they suck in terms of team cohesion. Wessels contract should not be renewed as everyone should be tired of waiting for him to resolve this and had long enough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah I think Wessels has to go, he has had pretty good squads for the past 3 years but they’ve showed no sign of improvement, he also coaches an unattractive brand of Rugby

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
I think the time for Carter Gordon is now, move MT out to 12 as last night showed they'll need him sooner rather then later.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
of course the time for Gordon is now. There is no one else.

I will repeat what Alana Ferguson said in the match - repeatedly - why pick Holland on the basis of his attacking skills (presumably) and then not use him?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
of course the time for Gordon is now. There is no one else.

I will repeat what Alana Ferguson said in the match - repeatedly - why pick Holland on the basis of his attacking skills (presumably) and then not use him?

I am really liking what sevens players like Anstee, Anderson and Holland are offering to the fifteens game and giving us another good pathway. The skills focus of sevens is giving these players another edge to the games. Shows the value of continuing to invest in sevens to benefits of also super rugby.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I agree but unfortunately all we want to do is kick away possession and kick penalties so he won’t play
I think the issue yesterday is that we actually overplayed at times. Throwing the ball around from side to side between the 50-40m mark of our own half. Eventually turn the ball over and gave a team that couldn’t attack to save their lives the only field territory they would get. I’m confident if we hit the corners more than we did we win that game by 10+, pretty confident that will be on display in the review this week. I can’t recall one contestable kick or many times that we asked them to execute at line out time in their own half. They were playing video game rugby by passing it side to side with no meaningful go forward

We carried the ball 165 times which is twice the amount qld did against us last week and more than the Highlanders did of their spanking of Crusaders last week