• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
To play him on the wing? Waste of money with Wells, Leota, Hardwick, Kemeny & Wilkin (unless someone's moving on).

I'd rather put the money towards one of Naivalu, Kerevi, Naiyavoro, CFS etc. I want a big back.

CFS would be a good option. He may be done with Aus though. Doubt you can afford the rest.

Pone's Mullet

Alex Ross (28)
We should invest in a direct running centre, we have some great "runners" but no one to hit it up in mid field, Kerevi would be great - Jeral Skelton maybe?

Now Wessels has gone. - tempt Paisami back - Reds have plenty of backfield options

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
I was thinking from more of a development side of things. Blokes who are young and have missed the wallabies well they should want to play the best level of rugby available to them

If you subscribe to the Darwin theory of rugby (which I do), then the benefit of the NPC for the NZ Super Rugby sides has a little bit to do with individual player development but alot more to do with the cohesion that comes from time spent playing together (e.g the Tasman backline of last few years and the Canterbury forwards often progressing to the crusaders).

By sending our boys over as individuals we can maybe pick up a little of the former (as well as allow them to get paid a little extra at the cost of a risk of injury) but won't gain much of the latter.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Tom Nowlan's instagram post suggests he is signed for 2022, good depth lock didnt look out of place coming off the bench a few times this season. Hopefully with the confidence of a contract he can have a good shute shield season & add grow from there.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
DHP has finished up at the club.

RA haven’t offered a top up for next year and the Rebels haven’t engaged in any contract discussions.

Be nice to see him at the Force but I fear he will never play again at a pro level

On the positive side for the Rebels with Koroibete, Naisarani and DHP gone there is going to be some good money to splash around for a marquee player or a couple of solid players off contract at other clubs.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We should invest in a direct running centre, we have some great "runners" but no one to hit it up in mid field, Kerevi would be great - Jeral Skelton maybe?

Now Wessels has gone. - tempt Paisami back - Reds have plenty of backfield options

Yeh be interesting to see what jeral offers in an injury free season. Also wonder if Holland got more to give in xv’s

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
DHP has finished up at the club.

RA haven’t offered a top up for next year and the Rebels haven’t engaged in any contract discussions.

Be nice to see him at the Force but I fear he will never play again at a pro level

On the positive side for the Rebels with Koroibete, Naisarani and DHP gone there is going to be some good money to splash around for a marquee player or a couple of solid players off contract at other clubs.

With wells, leota and kemney, Wilkins, Hardwick useful back row will lessen the loss of naisarini. DHP and Koriobete going means need back 3 addition as quite thin there.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
With wells, leota and kemney, Wilkins, Hardwick useful back row will lessen the loss of naisarini. DHP and Koriobete going means need back 3 addition as quite thin there.
Hodge will almost guaranteed fill the fullback spot. He trained there all pre-season this year but injuries to a few centres lead to him playing 12 or 13 for most games he played. Could be good for Aus going forward as well with him finally playing there on a regular basis.

Wing and 13 is a massive issue. Kellaway will hold 1 of the 3 spots.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
If you subscribe to the Darwin theory of rugby (which I do), then the benefit of the NPC for the NZ Super Rugby sides has a little bit to do with individual player development but alot more to do with the cohesion that comes from time spent playing together (e.g the Tasman backline of last few years and the Canterbury forwards often progressing to the crusaders).

By sending our boys over as individuals we can maybe pick up a little of the former (as well as allow them to get paid a little extra at the cost of a risk of injury) but won't gain much of the latter.

Do you follow cricket at all?

Look at the effect county cricket has on improving young Australian players. Just playing more cricket and having a different opinion on their game and fresh feedback on their techniques. Also the style of cricket they play there is different so they have to adapt to that.

It’s never a bad thing to play more and to be exposed to different systems

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hodge will almost guaranteed fill the fullback spot. He trained there all pre-season this year but injuries to a few centres lead to him playing 12 or 13 for most games he played. Could be good for Aus going forward as well with him finally playing there on a regular basis.

Wing and 13 is a massive issue. Kellaway will hold 1 of the 3 spots.

Jury out whether Hodges best position at 15....or centres.....probably 13 or 15 the realistic options but wing also a possibility if they don't recruit some quality wingers. Kellaway I have found always to be ordinary on the wing. 13 maybe but bit small...possibly fullback for Kellaway could be another spot he is tried in.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Kellaway is a wing, Picus has been solid, not sure his movements for 2022. But would be good back 3 cover. Need Magnay to stay fit for a season and play 13.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Health should be the #1 priority. I'm so spooked by concussions and CTE of late, at 31 there's a lot of life in front of you. Little sense jeopardising it by putting your head in front of 110kg rugby players!

Alex Ross (28)
I rate Kellaway. I think he’s got a good head for the game, doesn’t lack pace and is a very versatile player. I would persist with him at 13. He’s a bit like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Can play across the backline and has a serviceable boot. I think his cover defence is superior to Hodge, but I would probably put Hodge at the back and have Kellaway in the line. I don’t think Magnay has looked as promising as before he went to Japan. If he did come good then sure, Kellaway to wing. Again a bit like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Currently you'd think atm

10. Gordan
11. Kellaway
12. To'omua
13. Magney
14. Anderson
15. Hodge

22. Viahu
23. Tonumaipea

A lot can change in 9 months though

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Currently you'd think atm

10. Gordan
11. Kellaway
12. To'omua
13. Magney
14. Anderson
15. Hodge

22. Viahu
23. Tonumaipea

A lot can change in 9 months though
I worry that there is no strike in that side. Need to bring someone in that can change a game or make the opposition at least have to plan around their skill set.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yes they're all good players who make their surrounding team mates look good without any being the destructive type. But maybe that's what we need after a decade of pinning it on x-factor players. Genuinely have a team that work well together, injuries permitting.