• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2022

OneOrThree

Herbert Moran (7)
Latest Wayne Smith article says there are 19 bodies on the injury list, according to Baden with "most pre-dating the start of the season". That sounds ridiculously high. I get that Leota & Kellaway and maybe a couple more may have picked up injuries from the Spring tour but 19??!!

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Latest Wayne Smith article says there are 19 bodies on the injury list, according to Baden with "most pre-dating the start of the season". That sounds ridiculously high. I get that Leota & Kellaway and maybe a couple more may have picked up injuries from the Spring tour but 19??!!
If we have 19 injured players we are doing something very wrong

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
As I mentioned in the Drua v Rebels game thread, the length of injury list is not a one off event. It seems to be the case every year. Very disappointing. Especially when we don't have geat depth in our squad.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
As I mentioned in the Drua v Rebels game thread, the length of injury list is not a one off event. It seems to be the case every year. Very disappointing. Especially when we don't have geat depth in our squad.

Points to issues managing the S&C load. Again: coaching.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Points to issues managing the S&C load. Again: coaching.
It comes down to budget, we need to pay more to the strength and conditioning staff have more coaches on board so they can work with smaller groups of players

They perform highly complex movements in the gym with an incredibly heavy load and that leads to a fair amount of risk

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
It comes down to budget, we need to pay more to the strength and conditioning staff have more coaches on board so they can work with smaller groups of players

They perform highly complex movements in the gym with an incredibly heavy load and that leads to a fair amount of risk

I'm not sure the budget issue is quite correct - maybe 20 years ago having someone well versed in the mechanics of sports science, nutrition etc would have been hard to come by, but these days it is quite the opposite.

Most amateur rugby clubs have young S&C coaches and sports nutritionists banging on the door for an opportunity, there is so much supply. I'm sure if the Rebels put up a job advert asking for S&C coaches and sports scientists who are studying and looking for experience, they'd get plenty of applications to have a small army of staff to work with the players. But of course, they need someone competent in charge leading the way.

For reference, in Brisbane a number of rugby clubs I have been involved with get allocated a trainee S&C all the way down the 6th grade, they're volunteering their time for experience. I understand the rugby scene is different in Melbourne, but if a bunch of 40yr old park footy players can keep fit, I'm sure a professional setup like the Rebels will have options.

Also, for the more senior players, aren't a number of these injuries not even related to their time at Rebels? Moreso injuries they picked up playing for the Wallabies that needed treatment once they got home.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm not sure the budget issue is quite correct - maybe 20 years ago having someone well versed in the mechanics of sports science, nutrition etc would have been hard to come by, but these days it is quite the opposite.

Most amateur rugby clubs have young S&C coaches and sports nutritionists banging on the door for an opportunity, there is so much supply. I'm sure if the Rebels put up a job advert asking for S&C coaches and sports scientists who are studying and looking for experience, they'd get plenty of applications to have a small army of staff to work with the players. But of course, they need someone competent in charge leading the way.

For reference, in Brisbane a number of rugby clubs I have been involved with get allocated a trainee S&C all the way down the 6th grade, they're volunteering their time for experience. I understand the rugby scene is different in Melbourne, but if a bunch of 40yr old park footy players can keep fit, I'm sure a professional setup like the Rebels will have options.

Also, for the more senior players, aren't a number of these injuries not even related to their time at Rebels? Moreso injuries they picked up playing for the Wallabies that needed treatment once they got home.
Yeah and the difference between adequate and inadequate investment in this field has a huge correlation on return to play outcomes

There is a difference between paying peanuts and getting a few people in and properly investing in this field and getting professionals with experience post graduate studies and a track record of results

There are 9 AFL programs and despite the fact they pay peanuts they are seen as a more desirable place to work

The private strength and conditioning industry is rapidly growing as those with the skill sets to get results don’t want to accept the low paying roles that they get in pro sports

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Yeah and the difference between adequate and inadequate investment in this field has a huge correlation on return to play outcomes

There is a difference between paying peanuts and getting a few people in and properly investing in this field and getting professionals with experience post graduate studies and a track record of results

There are 9 AFL programs and despite the fact they pay peanuts they are seen as a more desirable place to work

The private strength and conditioning industry is rapidly growing as those with the skill sets to get results don’t want to accept the low paying roles that they get in pro sports

Yep I take those points, I guess what I am trying to say though is with the right person leading the program, with the appropriate skill set, credentials and all that jazz, you can build a very strong sports nutrition program from the ground up.

Your investment doesn't need to be 5 superstar S&C coaches, if the processes and procedures in place at the club are sound and efficient. There is more than enough supply of young coaches who are dedicating the time to learning the craft.

It sounds like Rebels fans aren't impressed with whatever the program is at the moment, so any change is possibly a step in the right direction.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep I take those points, I guess what I am trying to say though is with the right person leading the program, with the appropriate skill set, credentials and all that jazz, you can build a very strong sports nutrition program from the ground up.

Your investment doesn't need to be 5 superstar S&C coaches, if the processes and procedures in place at the club are sound and efficient. There is more than enough supply of young coaches who are dedicating the time to learning the craft.

It sounds like Rebels fans aren't impressed with whatever the program is at the moment, so any change is possibly a step in the right direction.
When you consider entry level sports science positions in the AFL get paid 35k a year and that is considered better than what the Rebels offer I would hate to know what they are offering. You aren’t going to get well credentialed candidates like that, we need to invest more into taking care of our players so we can see the best team take the park more regularly

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
From what I've seen from the sidelines we have had the same S&C coach for years and years. Irish bloke, used to have dreadlocks.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
When you consider entry level sports science positions in the AFL get paid 35k a year and that is considered better than what the Rebels offer I would hate to know what they are offering. You aren’t going to get well credentialed candidates like that, we need to invest more into taking care of our players so we can see the best team take the park more regularly
when you consider you're player salary is $6million a year or whatever it is, it seems a reasonable investment to hire good S&C staff to ensure yo maximize output of that team.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
when you consider you're player salary is $6million a year or whatever it is, it seems a reasonable investment to hire good S&C staff to ensure yo maximize output of that team.
I don’t know how it is in other states but in Melbourne a lot of these roles use to be filled by volunteers at AFL clubs with the big clubs phasing out the last of the volunteers within the last 5 years. It creates a situation where the market rate for these professionals are low so more and more graduates are looking to open up private facilities

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

In simple terms - I wonder if anything brumbies doing that could be copied…as they are still he development factory powerhouses in oz rugby..is it better coaches…better systems..is there something that the rebels could learn from this or am I just going off tangent….

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
the off field Rebels development seems to have been good the last couple of years, and on paper i thought they had done a reasonable job of recruitment/retention - losing both MK and Isi were disasters but i dont know that any of the Oz franchises could have kept them. they are developing the local talent pretty well also, but the same on field problems persist, irrespective of who has coached TT, Wessels or now Foote - they seem great in patches and then cant execute a basic pass or catch ! Save for the opening 5 - 6 games in 2019 they have never lived up to the on paper abilities. this season so far is just a catastrophe, the injury toll is staggering and they look bereft of ideas. im not sure what the ARU or anyone can do - sadly.