• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2023

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Did you get sent the payment dates at all for the auto renewal?

I don't think the Rebels coaching ticket is up to the level it needs to be, have never been happy with the head coach since they were forced into booting Hill for McGrahan. Does not matter what squad we have on the field, we will lose because we don't have a coach with the experience to get the best out of a team. I understand Foot is well liked, but that does not mean his the right man for the job. The Rebels should have signed Coleman, at least find a coach who comes from a winning culture.

Right now i'd be looking at signing Tamati Ellison as Kevin Foot replacement, coming from working under Robertson. Great playing career and knows Melbourne and what's needed here.
Not sure Kev. It just rolls over now.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
OK, to the game on the weekend.
Well that didn't exactly inspire me for the rest of the year.
I still wonder what our game plan is as we seem to be completely lost about what to do when we have the ball.
I love Reese Hodge as a player but his versatility, while his greatest strength is also in contrast his biggest weakness.
He is never given a chance to settle into a position and make it his own.
In my opinion his best position is in the back three preferably at full back.
He can fill a hole in the centres but doesn't read the defense that well as he never gets a chance to settle there.
If Foote is going to allow him to play outside centre all year then fine but we know that there is a fair chance that next week he will be playing somewhere else.
Our set piece was solid, our attack was non-existent and our defense at times was shambolic (25% of tackles missed).
If we are going to play the game without the ball we must make sure we stick our tackles but when 1 in 4 tackles is missed that is turnstile territory.
We must be the most one dimensional team going round at the moment.
That is fine if you are really good at that simple up and down style like the Brumbies but we simply aren't.
We play uninspired predictable rugby but then make lots of errors all the time.
We either need to add some X factor where the errors can be hidden by flashes of brilliance or need to cut out the errors from the game.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought the attack was pretty good minus the last couple of minutes when it went sideways. We basically came away with points every time we went near their posts.

The issue was defense, centres were consistently giving up gain line in the hit, I don’t overly care about missed tackles because sometimes that comes about from different defensive patters been executed but we lost the contact zone a pass or 2 outside of the ruck.

Anderson I’m not sure is offering anything Vaihu or Ripley can’t. Need a little bit more with the ball from the front row and would prefer centres swapped with Hodge at 12 (he’s a good tackler but poor reader) so removes some of the decision making and Ili back in his preferred position of 13, where he’s a better reader of the play but size isn’t targeted.

I fail to see why Cabous wasn’t playing (maybe was injured or recovering) but he’s potentially a game winner in the scrum and a great foil with the ball for a team that didn’t have a ball carrier in the starting side. Talakai is solid but never been anything more or less

Sir Charles

Larry Dwyer (12)
I agree defense in the middle was soft, Hodge didnt hold his line and bit in too much and let them get the easy overlap - also should have left Talakai and Gibbo on the field a little bit longer.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The field kicking was pretty shocking: particularly for touch.
I think we kicked well in the first 40 but poorly in the second 40.

We found space in behind in the first half and were able to turn them round and pin them down there end

In the second half when we kicked we just meekly gave the ball back

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I hadn't noticed them doing single team stuff, was only aware of competition level sponsorship or more national partnerships like with CA. They're just about the best in the business for the way they do sports sponsorship marketing in my opinion.
They sponsor a few including the NRL, BBL and Cricket Australia.
AFL: Power, Magpies, Hawks, Tigers
NRL: Tigers, Bulldogs, Panthers, Dragons
Melbourne Victory and Melbroune Rebels also.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I think while our kicking wasn't great it was prob our 3rd worst part of the night. Defensively we were the worst of the aussie teams in the 2nd half & our game management wasn't there when we needed it to be.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Voila

Attachments

• 2DDEA0A5-AB08-4170-B657-A4EF203CCC96.png
    2DDEA0A5-AB08-4170-B657-A4EF203CCC96.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 95

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Drua are doing their captains run down at Rams on friday morning, great idea! You'd think the Brums could do the same with their rams connections or even at quins with bobby v coming from there & the great surface at Holmesglen

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Drua are doing their captains run down at Rams on friday morning, great idea! You'd think the Brums could do the same with their rams connections or even at quins with bobby v coming from there & the great surface at Holmesglen

Great surface? Have you seen it recently? Dry as a bone.

There's a reason why teams (well juniors at least) are training on number two. I'd imagine the thursday sessions would try and stick with pitch two aswell.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Great surface? Have you seen it recently? Dry as a bone.

There's a reason why teams (well juniors at least) are training on number two. I'd imagine the thursday sessions would try and stick with pitch two aswell.

I did not know sorry, I always thought quins had close to the best set up though

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Canes at Powerhouse juniors, yesterday and both tomorrow morning and afternoon (Guessing they will hang out in Williamstown inbetween). Crusaders Thursday morning, Chiefs Friday Morning, Drua Friday afternoon, Blues Saturday morning and Reds Saturday afternoon.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think one of Bernie's innovations has been to discard the captain's run. Reckons he gets more out of another scheduled training run with the coaches.