• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels v Chiefs, Rd 12 @ AAMI Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Well done rebels! Jordy reed had an awesome game. I remember watching him in club rugby 3 years ago and now is really showing some form at super level. Stirzacker has to be on par with phipps at the moment. He has to be our second half back at the world cup. Jack deprecini had an awesome boot. I hope he continues to play good rugby and builds on his play maker game. Imagine The wallabies with a guy that can kick penalties from 57m plus!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Ref was Pretty consistent and fair. I haven't seen any refs call the rucks correctly this year. So many steals coming from formed rucks. I thought this was a highly entertaining game. Especially after watching the forces bizmal effort

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rebels vs Chiefs
Attendance: 13,023

Is it the hightest attendance in Melbourne for this year?

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Was funny how quite they all went when the try was disallowed and a yellow card handed out.

Don't forget that noisy prick who wanted to sound his cowbell right next to Jack D when he was attempting to convert Higgers Try. He aint no Will Ferrell, nor did I see Christopher Walken askin' for it...

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I was at the beach and had to follow the twitter feed. I knew we had it in the bag once all the Kiwis started moaning about the ref. Champagne stuff

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I actually take a bit of a different view of this game.

I love watching the Rebels, and it’s always great to beat the Chiefs. But I don’t think the Rebels should be thrilled with their performance.

This was an under-strength Chiefs side who were playing well below their best. The Rebels defensive intensity was impressive, but they let the Chiefs back into a game they should have won comfortably, even without the rub of the green from the referee which they clearly received. They also botched the last seven minutes playing against 14, where they had numerous opportunities to strike the killer blow and put the Chiefs away for good.

The reaction to this game shows that most rugby fans (and most Rebels fans) still think of the side as plucky underdogs. They aren’t that any more, they are legitimate finals contenders. Which means that while it’s great to have a win against a top side, it shouldn’t mask the fact that you didn’t score a point in the second half, despite plenty of possession, territory and kickable shots at goal.

The Rebels are all grown up now, and it’s time we stopped treating them like the teenagers of Aussie rugby. There were plenty of positives from Saturday, but that shouldn’t cloud the negatives.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Hopefully we can finish off the Blues this week. They will be on a high over the match against the Force.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Barbarian is of course correct, and those of us who have been (overly/hyper?) critical of the Rebels this year, see this weakness all too well. the inability to score points when dominating is a major deficiency. It cost the game against the Lions and also the Brumbies at home, and whilst i feel the Canes and the Tahs results were fair results they were actually winnable games if the substantial possession obtained had amounted to points gained. Both TT and Todd Louden say the offence is a work in progress, and i do see improvement each week, but the Rebels will need to take most/all the scoring opportunities available if they are to to be regular and not just ad hoc winners.

that said it was great to win on Saturday, and the Chief's fans sitting near me whilst disappointed were not moaning too much about the Ref. After 5 years of rarely, some would say never, getting any hometown decisions it was nice to get the contentious calls go our way for a change. i still believe Matt O'Brien is the worst official in Super Rugby.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
The crwod numbers were certainly affected by the Ricky Martin concert jsut accross the road in Rod Laver. I'm agine the numbers we could have had if that wasn't running. Certainly affected the nubmers at the PO, had to wait forever for a Pint.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I actually take a bit of a different view of this game.

I love watching the Rebels, and it’s always great to beat the Chiefs. But I don’t think the Rebels should be thrilled with their performance.

This was an under-strength Chiefs side who were playing well below their best. The Rebels defensive intensity was impressive, but they let the Chiefs back into a game they should have won comfortably, even without the rub of the green from the referee which they clearly received. They also botched the last seven minutes playing against 14, where they had numerous opportunities to strike the killer blow and put the Chiefs away for good.

Hey Barbarian, substitute Tahs for Rebels and Brumbies for Chiefs and you've just about reviewed the main game of the weekend too. Only need to change the last sentence above to read 'The Brumbies.. put the Tahs away for good'.:)

Apologies to the Rebels fans for hijacking the thread.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Crowd affected as it was too dangerous for single males to venture to the Rebels/Chiefs match with all those Cougars running loose in the precinct post the Ricky Martin concert .....

Status
Not open for further replies.